• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm just going to stop it and try to delete it, its not worth it. I can't go through all the files, so I'm stopping it all or going to try to, seriously why does it feel it needs to back up the chrome loading image? It did help be find out I had a duplicate movie of 1.7gb but after like 3 minutes I got 0bytes free. This is annoying.

That sounds concerning.

If you're using Windows 8.1, disable it and use Windows' own File History instead. It should store only changed files after the first run. If you're running Windows 7, set up its backup feature. It's less convenient and robust compared to File History, but it still works.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    That sounds concerning.

If you're using Windows 8.1, disable it and use Windows' own File History instead. It should store only changed files after the first run. If you're running Windows 7, set up its backup feature. It's less convenient and robust compared to File History, but it still works.
    Well I got 153GB free now, I deleted the earlier of the two back ups from norton. It seems the more recent one was 6/10 this year, so I figure thats what was causing the issue, continually taking up space until it finished.
    I did get a blue screen tonight, but pretty sure thats because my brother decided to hold down my power button while I was using it, using the button usually gives a blue screen on my laptop.

Years
    Hey guys, how's it going in here? :)

So somehow or another, my phone seems to be able to bypass the fact that Wi-Fi here at this hotel is supposed to be paid for, yet I'm able to access it for free. It's only my phone though since my iPod Touch doesn't allow for me to bypass it.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
    At hotels I've gone to, they've made it so the password is like my last name + my room number or something personal like that.

Hotels I've been to have all had those awful landing pages where one has to input username and password (or in the cases of free wifi, just an e-mail). My school has such a login page as well and I really hate it. Luckily I could pry the password for the IT-admin network from a school computer :P

Years
    No post in here in almost 24 hours? Where are you guys? :P

I had a USB wifi device die on me. Oh well, it was almost 7 years old anyways.

Years
    I've been working on coding an IRC bot and it's slowly coming together, although it needs so much work still lol.
    Just as long as this good ol trick is in there, I'm fine :P

[6/16/2015 9:42:18pm] <~Zach> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    [6/16/2015 9:42:19pm] <~Zach|Bot> NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP
    [6/16/2015 9:42:19pm] <~Zach|Bot> NEVER GONNA LET YOU DOWN
    [6/16/2015 9:42:19pm] <~Zach|Bot> NEVER GONNA RUN AROUND AND DESERT YOU
    [6/16/2015 9:42:20pm] <~Zach|Bot> NEVER GONNA MAKE YOU CRY
    [6/16/2015 9:42:20pm] <~Zach|Bot> NEVER GONNA SAY GOODBYE
    [6/16/2015 9:42:20pm] <~Zach|Bot> NEVER GONNA TELL A LIE AND HURT YOU.

Years
    I actually had something similar to that in an old bot that I worked with. It was a simple bot whose source was put online and I had it do that when that link was posted lmao. Ended up Rickrolling the entire channel lmao.
    Yeah, that's where I got the idea from XD just sayin you should keep it haha!

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I just got the TP-Link Archer D5 to replace the extremely underperforming ISP-supplied modem-router.

That has to be the best ~$101 that I've ever spent.

• The Wi-Fi range issues are now gone. Same goes for reliability beyond the study. I used to have trouble connecting as near as the bedroom next door.
    • Everything that can be on 5 GHz can now actually be on the 5 GHz band.
    • The home network is now 802.11ac-capable, so everything that can connect via 802.11ac can do so now.
    • I now also have a file server thanks to an external HDD and all the PCs in the network can make use of the USB-only printer/scanner as if they are directly connected.
    • Devices that have MIMO network adapters (which is basically everything but my 3DS XL and my dad's laptop) can actually make full use of their capabilities.
    • It doesn't look out of place on my desk!

I got the D5 instead of the D7 or D9 since, well, pretty much nothing can really make use of the higher-speed capabilities, and I find no need for beam-forming since the house is small enough in area that it's not really necessary. Even right next to the front and back doors, all the devices are attaining their maximum possible speed, or close to it, while maintaining at least four bars of signal strength, and no dropouts. Real file transfer speeds over 802.11n has also improved significantly - it went from about 30 Mbps to 105 Mbps.

Now to see if it can maintain at least one week of uninterrupted up-time... the old router needed to be reset every two days or so.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
    Now to see if it can maintain at least one week of uninterrupted up-time... the old router needed to be reset every two days or so.

I would love to stay updated on that. I always have problems with routers, they never seem to work 100%. You won't believe how many routers I have bought and returned to the store because of some issue. Current router, a D-Link DIR-857, has (thankfully) been running largely without issues for 8 months or so, so there's that, but I am always looking out for other people's experience with a particular router in case this one begins to act up as well.

With that said, I think my next router will have to be one that supports some sort of custom firmware, be it DD-WRT, OpenWRT or Tomato, because I would love to try and see if that will improve the experience. I've heard a lot of praise of Tomato in particular, but none of the routers in my closet support it...

Years
    This reminds me of the last days I had DSL... I could never go a day without resetting the modem by turning it off/on. At least back then, I had 100% chance of changing my IP if I ever needed to do that.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I would love to stay updated on that. I always have problems with routers, they never seem to work 100%. You won't believe how many routers I have bought and returned to the store because of some issue. Current router, a D-Link DIR-857, has (thankfully) been running largely without issues for 8 months or so, so there's that, but I am always looking out for other people's experience with a particular router in case this one begins to act up as well.

With that said, I think my next router will have to be one that supports some sort of custom firmware, be it DD-WRT, OpenWRT or Tomato, because I would love to try and see if that will improve the experience. I've heard a lot of praise of Tomato in particular, but none of the routers in my closet support it...

I reset my router today. Turns out it was my ISP's default gateway acting up, so all the resets will do nothing. The modem-and-router device isn't at fault. I think I'll restart the counter for now... (not that there's any real loss of connectivity. Local networking via Wi-Fi works perfectly, and things are still loading. It's just slowing to a crawl.)

Custom firmware isn't that important - at least, for TP-Link routers, from what I've heard. Most "normal" people probably won't even need custom firmware, so long as the stock firmware is being maintained. (Unfortunately, a lot of router vendors forget about the "maintenance" part after a few months...)

This reminds me of the last days I had DSL... I could never go a day without resetting the modem by turning it off/on. At least back then, I had 100% chance of changing my IP if I ever needed to do that.

Out of curiosity, was the modem supplied by your ISP?

Years
    Spoiler:
    Figures. Too bad I don't have money to spend on games. -_-

Out of curiosity, was the modem supplied by your ISP?
    Yes and no. The modem we used for the longest of time I'm pretty sure was supplied by our ISP (it had been years and I don't remember the installation since I was very young), but that was the reason why we changed it out. Then a few weeks later, the modem we had replaced was acting up the same way as the original modem.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    I've never had any trouble with my router, so far. It's never really been turned off, and I've never had to reset it I don't think. I don't remember if I have. Mine wasn't supplied by my ISP though, and has no language settings, meaning I have to read all the settings in German, making it very difficult to port forward, for example.

Years
    Oh god...these app updates on my Nexus 7. That's what happens when you don't use a device for seventeen days.

Years
    Oh god...these app updates on my Nexus 7. That's what happens when you don't use a device for seventeen days.

Dude, I let my phone sit for months until I finally shelled out the cash to get it repaired...

Waiting for those updates to everything was like watching all the cutscenes to Metal Gear Solid 4 fr fr

Years
    Speaking of apps, it seems that the Pokémon Jukebox app finally was released here today, but they have a little trap in the app. It detects root, and will keep you from opening the app with an E-000 error. I had to use a root cloak Xposed Module to get it to run properly.
    That's interesting; I've never heard of an app preventing use on a rooted device! I downloaded said app as well earlier today and had no issues (my Nexus 7's bootloader is unlocked).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back