• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga uguu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    I can't help but feel a wonderful opportunity was missed here.

Anyway, still on episode 1. Endou kinda compels me to continue but past the pre-release hype people've been pretty silent about the show.
    The show is boring. And it isn't exactly funny. If you enjoy the candy jokes though, then you'll have a blast with it.

It's better than Iron Blooded Orphans.
    If candy-trivia doesn't bore you to death. IBO doesn't do anything special but at least it had some nicely animated fights that don't bore you to death.

I mean, Hotaru/Saya are entertaining and all but there's only so much candy obsessive talk you can take before you raise your hands and give up on the show. Couldn't make past episode 4. Might still JUST pick it up sometime later to see more of Hotaru's batshit crazy antics. But I'm not sure.

Years
    Finished candy-tits, was pretty good. I liked it when they talked about snacks.

That was/is fun and has informative info-dumps. Though I still need to watch last week's episode yet.

I can't help but feel a wonderful opportunity was missed here.

Anyway, still on episode 1. Endou kinda compels me to continue but past the pre-release hype people've been pretty silent about the show.

People have been quiet because they were expecting more sexual tension and sexual innuendos and other shenanigans ecchi fanservice anime pull. Dagashi Kashi's marketing was quite poorly targeted and a lot of western fans felt hoodwinked and let down. There is basically none of that in Dagashi Kashi despite how the promos and hype portrayed it to the community at large. The only thing from those type of series that's there is:

Spoiler: possible character spoilers for Dagashi Kashi
    Coconuts being oblivious to Saya's crush on him and Hotaru being oblivious and unaware of anything and everything sexual, innuendo or otherwise.

I, however, knowing full well ahead of time what I was getting into, was not disappointed. I had a hell of a lot of fun with it. The source material was also quite fun.

The show is boring. And it isn't exactly funny. If you enjoy the candy jokes though, then you'll have a blast with it.

If candy-trivia doesn't bore you to death. IBO doesn't do anything special but at least it had some nicely animated fights that don't bore you to death.

I mean, Hotaru/Saya are entertaining and all but there's only so much candy obsessive talk you can take before you raise your hands and give up on the show. Couldn't make past episode 4. Might still JUST pick it up sometime later to see more of Hotaru's batshit crazy antics. But I'm not sure.

Your taste has now been downgraded from good to trash-tier in my book. >:(

Okay not really, but people were expecting it to be something it never was and they'd have found that out by reading the source material.

derozio

Years
    Okay not really, but people were expecting it to be something it never was and they'd have found that out by reading the source material.
    Well, I did say that the show will be a blast if you enjoy the candy jokes, did I not? I just meant to say that the show just isn't my cup of tea since I can't enjoy the jokes. Personally found it boring and the comedy to be very hit and miss - mostly comes down to me not really getting behind the whole candy based premise.

So yeah, not like I think the show is trash. But more like it has a very specific set of people who can enjoy its brand of comedy. I'm not one of those, unfortunately. I tried really hard to love it, trust me. Studio feel is a darling and Hotaru/Says are waifus. But the show is just...boring for me, unfortunately.

Years
    IBO is getting worse but more enjoyable.

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

Spoiler:

Years
    Well, I did say that the show will be a blast if you enjoy the candy jokes, did I not? I just meant to say that the show just isn't my cup of tea since I can't enjoy the jokes. Personally found it boring and the comedy to be very hit and miss - mostly comes down to me not really getting behind the whole candy based premise.

So yeah, not like I think the show is trash. But more like it has a very specific set of people who can enjoy its brand of comedy. I'm not one of those, unfortunately. I tried really hard to love it, trust me. Studio feel is a darling and Hotaru/Says are waifus. But the show is just...boring for me, unfortunately.

My remark was more of a general gripe I've had with the community at large with their reactions to the series. The hype attracted the type of fans the series was never going to appeal to in the first place.

Dagashi Kashi was just a faithful adaptation of a series that I personally have found to be very charming. It's not for everyone.

derozio

Years
    Haha, I see. That's true. The ahegao face as the cover, attractive character design along with some of the innuendo manga panels made it sorta misleading. People obviously weren't expecting that HUGE a focus on the candies. Just a case of people expecting wrong things, yup.

IBO is getting worse but more enjoyable.

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

Spoiler:
    That's what I thought, too. It became more enjoyable in the second half. The story felt like it was moving (with questionable quality lol), at least. And the fights were happening on a more frequent basis - and more decently animated gundam fights is always a good thing. Certainly makes for some more entertainment. :p

IN OTHER NEWS, DEEN IS FUCKING SAVING ANIME AGAIN (they just did it with KonoSuba and SGRS S1 this season)
    https://myanimelist.net/news/45418738

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu receives a second season! Not caught up (on episode 8) but a quality series with a relatively restricted/niche audience getting a second season was unexpected, to say the least. I'm really happy with this though since whatever I've seen of the series has been genuinely good content.

Last edited:

derozio

Years
    Naah, don't think its a joke. Should be legit. Will look forward to it.

Also, just watched JOJO P4 and Ushio to Tora's first episodes. JoJo was glorious while Ushio just made me feel all the feels. Both fantastic starts to the new season. Looking forward to the rest that come out in a few days! <3

derozio

Years
    I saw it on ANN. That makes it legit, more or less.
    Also yeah machomuu, Ushio is some nice old school shounen. Don't expect a lot and you'll have fun. The story and characters are good enough for an engaging watch, at least.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Luluco seems pretty fun, enjoyed the first episode.

Lost Village's premiere was...it happened. Didn't show much and I'm likely not going to be into the relationship between main guy and main girl, but as it stands, main girl's a less-than-generic eccentric so I'm down with her. Also, holy hell that cast.

And then there's Ace Attorney, which currently is about as good (though slightly more creative) as I expected an AA adaptation to be. Though I really wish someone other than A-1'd picked it up.

So overall, fun morning today. Also watched some Brave Beats which, hilariously, has around 5 stars on Crunchy. Never have I been so proud of anime fans.

Years
    Luluco seems pretty fun, enjoyed the first episode.

Lost Village's premiere was...it happened. Didn't show much and I'm likely not going to be into the relationship between main guy and main girl, but as it stands, main girl's a less-than-generic eccentric so I'm down with her. Also, holy hell that cast.

And then there's Ace Attorney, which currently is about as good (though slightly more creative) as I expected an AA adaptation to be. Though I really wish someone other than A-1'd picked it up.

So overall, fun morning today. Also watched some Brave Beats which, hilariously, has around 5 stars on Crunchy. Never have I been so proud of anime fans.

Luluco might be fun. I just forgot it was by Trigger and was expecting something else so I need to re-calibrate my expectations for it.

So I should probably avoid Lost Village, then?

As for Brave Beats, its probably only got like 2 ratings, and I can say with certainty I did not rate it.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Luluco might be fun. I just forgot it was by Trigger and was expecting something else so I need to re-calibrate my expectations for it.
    Yeah, it's pretty overtly Trigger and slaps you in the face with it from the moment it starts. Which, for me, is absolutely wonderful. For someone who isn't so Trigger happy...why the hell would you even be watching this?

So I should probably avoid Lost Village, then?
    It's not bad or anything. It's basically an episode that introduces the characters and the basic concept...and pretty much only that. It'll at least be another episode before I can make any judgments. Hell, the cast's too large to even label all of the cliches because there just isn't any time for all of them.

Well, save for MC and potential Ho-yay.

As for Brave Beats, its probably only got like 2 ratings, and I can say with certainty I did not rate it.
    Well what the hell are you waiting for?

Support the cause, Don! Rate it a 5. And make it a front-page worthy review.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back