• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 5, 2011
    I'm going to try this one out starting in yellow with electrics. My pikachu is lvl 9 so far, almost got owned by Gary twice. Going to be interesting if I make it d\p since I've never played those games before.

Made it through the first 3 gyms. I literally struggled to beat brock's onyx. I 20x speeded all my thundershocks off against wild pokemon, set up max double teams and growls, then in deep red I ran out of quick atks, luckily I was able to use all my growls and double teams in order to win. Hammer the pikachu gained lvl 16.

By the time I slaughtered misty, Hammer knew thunderbolt. I won her badge too.

After the depature of the SS Anne I caught Fritz (magnemite) at lvl 20 near the plant. Got him to 21 to learn the boom. Only took me 3 tries to getto Surg, 2 of which were corner cans. I tried to boom Surg's Raichu but fainted and Hammer put down a nice slam jam. Saving Thunderbolt for my voltorb since he doesnt learn any elc moves by level.

We caught more random pokemon in order to get Flash. Caught Zurg (lvl 20 magnemite) and taught him flash. He's going to be my status\flash pokemon. He took down a lvl 24 graveler by max flashing, then ir selfdestructed and missed. Quite a beast. Fritz evolved, might use thunderstone on Hammer, forget if it's possible in yellow (I don't think it is).

Picked up a Jolteon in Celadon named Jenga. Beat Erika, team rocket, and ghost tower. Needed to get surf and ability to use it asap so I could catch a voltorb, my final editon to team. Got surf, trained, beat koga. Got voltorb lvl 37 and named it Linus from power plant. It evolved after 1 lvl. I swept through Saffron, Jenga's Pin missile though very weak defeated the psychics. Swept through cinabar. Beat Blaine. Stuck at Giovanni, think I need some training first, Nidoqueen is annoying. Can't toxic it, cant use thunder etc, pin missile is super but doesnt do much. It 1hko's everything with earthquake. Very tempted to cheat to get exp share, would have to catch 27 more pokemon doing it fairly and that would suck a lot.

Got lucky beating giovani, took a few tries. Got through victory road. Did a small grind session. Destroyed the elite four nothing really gave me problems. Hammer's double team, though very cheap owned Agatha. Toxic was a key in beating the tougher pokemon.

Final Team:

Level 59 Hammer (pikachu)
    Level 56 Fritz (magneton)
    Level 50 Linus (electrode)
    Level 57 Jenga (jolteon
    Level 56 Zurg (magneton)

Starting Crystal.

Last edited:

FANOFFIRESTARTERS!!!

Call me FOFS
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2021
    2 Days of Updates

Ok these go into spoilers

Day 2:
    Spoiler:

Day 3:
    Spoiler:

Darksualc

Farm animal champion
    Years
  • I'll start on a Ultimate Rock Monotype, starting with red, right now.

In game name: Rocko
    Rival's name: Blue
    Game: Pokemon red

Started with Bulbasaur.
    Defeated Brock easily, and I got to Mt Moon and caught a Geodude.
    Trained Geodude and started my journey through Mt Moon.
    Got to Cerulean City, and defeated Blue.
    Beat the Nugget Bridge.
    Lost to Misty, and went to Vermillion City instead.
    Defeated all the trainers on the ship and got Cut.
    Found out that I needed to beat Misty to use it.
    Defeated her with Graveler's Earthquake.
    Found a Onix in Rock Tunnel.
    Defeated Lt. Surge using only Onix.
    Got through Rock Tunnel without Flash.
    Kicked Team Rocket at the Game Corner.

My Team:

Onix, lvl 33:
    Slam
    Screech
    Bind
    Rock Throw

Graveler, lvl 40:
    Tackle
    Mega Punch
    Rock Throw
    Earthquake

More to come.

MancerNecro

the reverse necromancer
    Years
  • Starting now.

In-Game Name: Ashley
    Rival's Name: Gary
    Game: Pokemon LeafGreen

Ashley.png
    Gary.png

1st Badge:
    Picked Charmander.
    Pummeled Gary first time.
    Went to Viridian City and picked up Oak's Parcel.
    Returned to Pallet Town with it and exchanged it for a Pokedex.
    Took a Town Map from Daisy.
    Pummeled Gary second time.
    Listened to the old man's tutorial and obtained the Teachy TV.
    Went through Viridian Forest.
    Challenged Brock and won!
    Charmander evolved after the battle.

Charmeleon.png

*Aww! Can't post the images until I've made 15 posts or more. I'll post them all later on when I'm able to. The images were screenshots of the status of Charmeleon after the battle and the name.*
    *EDIT: Finally 15 posts and pictures editted in.*

As I don't have that much time on, I might only be able to update a badge at a time. More during weekends. Misty + Surge will come next weekend.

Last edited:

Archaon

Lord of the End Times
    Years
  • Finally a new update:
    I won't write much about Kanto because it is such a boring chapter.
    After I arrived at Kanto I rushed through the Gyms and won one badge after annother. Only Misty was a small challenge due to her Ice Beam spamming Starmie.
    I fought my way through Kanto, defeating every trainer I could find.
    Now I've got 16 badges, but before I will challenge Red I have to run through the E4 a vew times for training.

My Team
    Pidgeot level 65:
    Twister
    Roost
    Air Slash
    Quick Attack

Gyarados level 68:
    Bite
    Surfer
    Ice Fang
    Dragon Rush

Jumpluff levle 64:
    Bounce
    Giga Drain
    Leech Seed
    Poison Powder

Butterfree level 64:
    Shadow Ball
    Silver Wind
    Bug Buzz
    Psychic

Skarmory level 64:
    Flying
    Steel Wing
    Slash
    Night Slash

Croconaw level 18:
    Strength
    Waterfall
    Whirlpool
    Rock Smash

Darkfire_Danny

Houndoom Fanatic
    Years
  • I've decided on my next run, I shall be using the flying types on Pokémon Crystal :) . I do have the game cartridge but I'll play it on an emulator as I'd like to record it :D . On that note, he's a video from my Rock-only run of Yellow (I understand that the sound gets messed up towards the end, thanks to GrassGiant for helping me with that, it shouldn't happen in the future :) )

On further inspection, I can't post URLs until I have 15 posts of course :P I'll post it once I have 15 :D Now to get cracking on Crystal with Flying types, I'll update every now and then :) .

Darkfire_Danny

Houndoom Fanatic
    Years
  • Just beaten Whitney in Crystal, here's my team:

Kenya - Fearow - Lv.23 - Peck, Swift, Mud-Slap, Leer
    Bulmers - Golbat - Lv.22 - Bite, Leech Life, Confuse Ray, Supersonic
    Squash - Butterfree - Lv.21 - Poisonpowder, Sleep Powder, Confusion, Tackle

I also have Hoppip with me for Flash, Totodile for Cut and then a random pointless Pidgey :P .

ナギ

P r e p a r e .
    Years
  • ooh, this sounds interesting.
    however, as i don't posess and thus played RBY nor GSC before, i guess i'll take a regular monotype challenge. Emerald only. how nostalgic, the hoenn saga..
    VBA though. but i won't cheat, obviously.

as for the type.. I'll be taking the Dark-type then.
    Sign me up, if you'd please .

hiinotama out.

Tony Montana

Say Hello To My Little Friend!
    Years
  • Taking another big break, and sadly I will have to start over my Sinnoh Quest. Lately I've been having some computer issues and my emulator and Platinum run got deleted. And also school gets tougher and tougher, so I will be taking it back up in December, hopefully. So, for now, bye.

IDoLikeMudkip

Master of Nothing
    Years
  • -Started Silver

-Woke Prof. Oak at 3:31 Day

-Name Mud...again

-Recieved PokeGear from Mom

-went to Elm's lab and recieved Leaves (Chickorita)

-Got to cherygrove

-talked to the guide dude guy, and recieved the map card

-healed and left for Mr. Pokemon's house

-Got to Mr. Pokemon's house, recieved Mystery Egg and Pokedex

-Recieved a distressing call for Elm

-headed back to cherrygrove where i ran into the pokemon theif

-Defeated the pokemon theif and headed back to New Bark town

-Named rival Flare

-Gave Mystery egg to Elm and headed on my way

-Caught Raincatchr (Bellsprout)

-Got to Violet City, healed and left

-went back to dark cave for a real pokegrind, got both Leaves and Raincatchr to lv. 13

-Went through sprout tower levling Leaves and Raincatcher up two more levels

-went to Violet Gym, won on the first try, Leaves reached Lv. 16 and evolved

-Recieved Egg from Elm's Assistent

-Put egg in PC

-Got through union cave

-arrived in azalea

-Ran team rocket out of Slowpoke cave, in the process raising Raincatchr to Lv. 21 and evolving him

-Beat Flare before heading into Ilex Forrest

-In Ilex Forrest caught Oddish and Paras (again with the forgetting of the names, TO THE NAMERATER)

-POKEGRIND...Oddish to 16, and Paras to 13, both from 5

Current Team:
    Spoiler:

Darkfire_Danny

Houndoom Fanatic
    Years
  • I'm done playing today in my Flying run of Crystal :) . Starting to think that space barring through half the game ruins it a bit though, as I've reached and beaten the 7th Gym in a matter of hours :/ . Anyway, here's the team as I prepare to beat Team Rocket and head to Blackthorn:

Kenya - Fearow - Fly, Mud-Slap, Leer, Swift
    Fanta - Mantine - Surf, Headbutt, Bubblebeam, Icy Wind
    Bulmers - Golbat - Confuse Ray, Wing Attack, Bite, Leech Life
    Squash - Butterfree - Confusion, Gust, Sleep Powder, Nightmare
    Crimson - Red Gyarados - Strength, Rock Smash, Bite, Dragon Rage

League will probably be done by tomorrow at this rate, but I doubt I'll beat Red if I keep this up so a mega training session may be needed sometime :P Last time I beat Crystal I beat Red with 5 Lv.50's, but they weren't all weak to Lv.81 Pikachus :P .

Esp1222

Psychic Lover
    Years
  • Will someone please edit me into the champions of Fire and Grass? My fire run ended before the 'Challenges' forum existed. And I finished my Grass run.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • Question for Ultimate Challenge: When Black and White are out, I assume they will be added.

Now, will you have 2 separate champions list, one for before and one for after? And if so, will those who completed 1-4 only have to complete gen 5 to get on the after list?

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Question for Ultimate Challenge: When Black and White are out, I assume they will be added.

Now, will you have 2 separate champions list, one for before and one for after? And if so, will those who completed 1-4 only have to complete gen 5 to get on the after list?
    I'm not the host of it, but I'm assuming it is going to be just like you say.

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
  • Been really busy lately with family, getting moved in, stuff set up for school... so basically haven't played Heart Gold much. But basically what me and Sparky have done over the past few days was beat Team Rocket in Mahogany town and a tiny bit of training. So sad I didn't do enough to make a fun pedophilic post... I'll just include this in my next update.

Team: Pikachu (FINALLY EVOLVED! :D), Flaffy, Elekid (Both quite close to evolving), Jolteon (My Tank!) Magnemite, and Lanturn (Those 2 are sorta along for the ride, but extra strength always helps!)

Also have: Totodile (Strength, Cut, Whirlpool [He's waiting for Waterfall]); Togepi (Rock Smash [hopefully Fly if I ever evolve it]), and Pidgey (Fly)

Also curious... anyone else take the time to read most of other people's updates? I don't read all of them, but I skim most and read some that look interesting.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back