• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J J JUAN

Psychic Master
    Years
    J J JUAN, reporting in Psychic UMC

Hi, long time eh? In Pokemon Ruby, I've reached Sootopolis City.
    My team:

Kadabra Lv 47
    Gardevoir Lv 42
    Solrock Lv 40
    Baltoy Lv 34
    Staryu Lv 30
    Spoink Lv 32

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Haven't update in ages, but here goes. I can't find my SP so I'm playing my Yellow Cart on the Game Cube Gameboy Player. Talk about old hardware.

Anyway, I might as well re-post where I left off.

Main Team

Digimon-Lv44
    Reflect
    Recover
    Thunder Wave
    Psychic

Miles-Lv43
    Confusion
    Barrier
    Light Screen
    Thunderbolt

Eggman-Lv35>40
    Psychic
    Hypnosis
    Reflect
    Egg Bomb

Spinner-Lv35>40
    Tri Attack
    Water Gun
    Ice Beam
    Surf

Slaves and Others

Because I just happen to like Pikachu following me. :)
    Also, it has Flash.

For Fly.

Status

Right now I'm in Sliph Co. HQ. Gonna use all these rocket members to train Spinner and Eggman.

-Spinner cleared Floors 1-5, and gained a few levels.

-Eggman took over at Floor 6 and got to Floor 8 before running out of PP, so I went back to heal.

-I killed the rest of the trainers, with Spinner ending up on Lv-40, and Eggman on Lv-39.

-Next I challenged my rival. Spinner OHKO'd his first two Pokes, Sandslash and Nintails with Ice Beam and Surf. Eggman took out Cloyster with a few Psychics, after soaking up a few Aurora Beams. Gary's Kadabra was OHKO'd by an Egg Bomb to the face. Eggman finally took his leave after succumbing to Jolteon's Pin Missile. Spinner came back in and finished the job, luckily before any electric attacks could be used.

-Surprised at the strength of Jolteon, I nodded my hat in approval and continued on. Jessie and James attacked me, but were easily swept by Eggman.

-Giovanni was unfortunately a complete pushover. Eggman OHKO'd Nidoqueen, Ryhorn and Nidorina and almost scored a OHKO on Persian. I claimed the Master Ball and left the dreaded warp-filled building.

Next time I'll take on the Fighting Dojo and then Sabrina.

TheUltimateFail

The Failure
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2011
    Progress Update on UMC Fire:

So I continued after getting my third badge from Lt. Sarge and headed up to Rock Tunnel. Since I only had 4 pokemon at the time no flash for me :(. After stumbling around in the dark for a while I found my way out to Lavender Town.I then headed straight out to Celadon, where I met a guy who "knows everything" and decided to let me sneakily take an Eevee which I immediately used a fire stone on to turn into a Flareon. I then went back to the east and caught a Growlithe. I started trying to train my Growlithe however I found that he sucks so I decided to keep this run to my Charizard (Burnt Tail) and my Flareon (Flare). So I then demolished the "secret" Team Rocket base in the Game Corner and defeated Giovanni with only my Flareon. Afterwards I decided to pick up some easy experience at the Celadon Gym. I met a nice old man outside who kindly informed me that he likes this gym because it is full of girls. I then walked inside and easily OHKO'd everyone's pokemon in the Gym including Erika. Now I went back to Lavender Town and easily defeated everyone in pokemon tower, around this point my Flareon and my Charizard were at level 41 so nothing was very hard. Then I went into Saffron City after sharing a nice lady's tea with the guards and used my Charizard to easily defeat the fighting dojo with his aerial ace. Then I went into Silph Co. and defeated Team Rocket yet again. After I sent Team Rocket packing I went and fought Sabrina the Saffron City gym leader. I easily destroyed her gym and then headed down cycling road towards Fuschia City. I easily defeated his gym as well and then went into the Safari Zone and got both surf and the gold teeth which I gave to the warden in exchange for strength. I then flew to Pallet Town and surfed south to Cinnabar Island. After finding a secret key in an old mansion I challenged Blaine's gym. I easily defeated Blaine with Flareon's dig and bite. Afterward Bill appeared and took me to One Island and told me to go give someone on Two Island a meteorite.

I'll work on that tomorrow.

By the way sorry for the lack of information before I am going to be using the games
    Fire Red-Heart Gold-Emerald-Diamond-(probably white depending on which game I buy when it comes out in English.)

Years
    EDIT: Im changing this to a full on ultimate challenge with psychic type pokemon.

So I'll be starting out on Leaf Green with the planned team of:

Hypno
    Alakazam
    Mr. Mime
    Slowbro
    Starmie
    Exeggutor.

EDIT2: I keep trying to change my mind on what type I'm doing. So instead of just waisting my time, I'm going to go ahead and do two types :D I'll do Poison for one rune of Kanto, then Psychic for Kanto, and move on like that.

Leaf Green Poison team:

Venusaur
    Tentacruel
    Beedrill
    Nidoqueen
    Nidoking
    Golbat

Last edited:

TheUltimateFail

The Failure
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2011
    Alright I finished fire red so now I'm going on to heart gold I'm on my phone again so all I'm going to do in terms of progress updates is posting my final team

Charizard lv.67
    Dragon Claw
    Flamethrower
    Aerial ace
    Earthquake

Flareon lv.60
    Bite
    Flamethrower
    Overheat
    Toxic

And 4 HM slaves
    Growlithe-strength
    Pidgey-fly
    Rattata-cut
    Goldeen-surf

Anyways this was a fairly easy challenge I defeated all of the E4 in one go the hardest one
    To beat was definitely Lorel... umm however you spell her name lol her lapras' surf was a
    Pain. Toxic was invaluable it alone is what took out Blastoise.well I think that's about it
    I will post progress on HG tomorrow.

Emperte

はがねタイプ
    Years
    I'm gonna do a Steel challenge in HG. Would trading in an egg go with the rules? Seeing as Steel is the 14th most common type...out of 17

Sgt_Grovyle

-Not a Grovyle fool!
    Years
    Well to make a long post short, I finished up the all 16 gyms in Johto and Kanto and took a lot of days off before I was finally able to beat Red. I also finished the Hoenn part of my adventure and now I'm currently getting ready for Sinnoh.

Team at the end of Crystal:

Ariados Lv.79
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Night Shade
    -Leech Life
    -Scary Face

Scizor Lv.77
    -Metal Claw
    -Wing Attack
    -Slash
    -Swords Dance

Venomoth Lv.75
    -Psychic
    -Supersonic
    -Sleep Powder
    -Leech Life

Team at the end of Emerald

Ninjask Lv.73
    -Swords Dance
    -Aerial Ace
    -Shadow Ball
    -Slash

Heracross Lv.72
    -Brick Break
    -Mega Horn
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Tomb

Pinsir L.71
    -Brick Break
    -Swords Dance
    -Strength
    -Revenge

Beautifly Lv.68
    -Silver Wind
    -Giga Drain
    -Gust
    -Stun Spore

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
    I have an idea. Every challenge has "Ultimate" status which is beating each generation doing that challenge.

Well what if I beat, let's say Fire Red with EVERY type of Poekmon. It couldn't be called Ultimate, so what could we call it?
    Also how could the Userbar be done?
    As soon as these questions are answered I will accomplish this!

Is it possible that this could be a new challenge altogether?
    There is the 12-type challenge, which is most similar to what you're talking about, maybe?

Challenge ideas should be posted in the first Sticky, not here.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2018
    No, his idea was to take a game let's say fire red
    and you do a poison monotype challenge on fire red
    and a fire monotype challenge on fire red
    and a water monotype challenge on fire get

until you finished so you playaed 17 times Fire red and played every possible monotype challenge on fire red

But next that i defeated the Kanto elite four and i'm on to Jotho

I already beated the first 6 gyms and the rocket hideout. my team:

Nidorino lv. 31
    - Poison sting
    - Focus energy
    - Strength
    - Double kick

Crobat lv. 32
    - Fly
    - Leech life
    - Bite
    - Confuse ray

Tentacruel lv. 32
    - Surf
    - Wrap
    - Acid
    - Bubble beam

Weepinbell lv. 31
    - Vine whip
    - Acid
    - Wrap
    - Sleep powder

Ariados lv. 32
    - Night schade
    - Scary face
    - Constrict
    - Leech life

J J JUAN

Psychic Master
    Years
    J J JUAN, reporting in Psychic UMC

In pokemon Ruby. I've the 8 badges, I've defeated Wallace after saving the world in the Cave of Origin. Now I'm going to the pokemon league.

My team
    Kadabra Lv 47
    Solrock Lv 41
    Starmie Lv 41
    Xatu Lv 40
    Grumpig Lv 37
    Gardevoir Lv 43

TheUltimateFail

The Failure
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2011
    I would like to start a water UMC. First game will be done on Leaf Green. I'm not sure about the order of the rest I may have to use a rom for Johto as my fire UMC may still be on Heart Gold.

Planned Team:
    Blastoise
    Slowbro
    Tentacruel
    Lapras

Years
    Can I do an UMC Ground? If so I'll go Leaf Green->HG/SS(not sure yet)->Ruby->Pearl.

Planned team for LG

Nidoking
    Dugtrio
    Sandslash
    Rhydon

EDIT: Just realised can't get any/pokemon that evolve into ground types before I face Brock. Should I just defeat him and then get a nidoran?

Last edited:

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Status

Breezed through the Fighting Dojo with relative ease, having a team full of Psychics and all, and grabbed Hitmonchan to be an HM Slave. Sabrina's gym was a bit more challenging. Everyone had Slowpokes, which resisted most of my attacks, especially from Spinner, who I was trying to train. When I almost found Sabrina, my game randomly froze, so I had to do it all over again.

When I finally got to Sabrina, I was ready for a fight. I managed to score a 3HKO on Abra without missing at all, no thanks to Flash. Kadabra took more hits to take down, but thankfully he wasted his time using Kenisis and missing. Alakazam finally showed up, and almost KO'd a few of my Pokemon, but after some switching and Light Screening, I took it out.

I made a few laps around Kanto to see if I missed any trainers, and then flew to Pallet. I had some fun beating the swimmers and got to Cinnibar Island. After that, I healed at the Pokemon Center so I could fly there, and went to the Power Plant to get TM25(Thunder.) I took out a few Voltorbs and finally found the item, and immediately went back to Cinnibar. I taught Thunder to Spinner, but I accidentally forgot Tri-Attack instead of Water Gun! >:[ Went through the Burnt Down Building next, to get the key, and grabbed TM22(Solarbeam) for Eggman.

Blain's Gym was relatively easy, and Spinner managed to clear the entire place, including the leader himself, but got a little banged up in the process.

With nothing to lose, I went straight to the Boss Rocket himself and took on the Final Gym, but was gravely disappointed. The Gym was by far the easiest in the game so far and I swept the entire thing with no difficulty.

I bought a bunch of items for Victory Road, dominated my rival with the power of shift-style battles, and entered the cave. The trainers in Victory Road were giving me a bit of trouble, so I became worried about the Elite Four, who would be very hard.

I finally made it to Indigo Plateau, with my team all on Level 49, pretty low, but still possible to win with. Saved outside the E4. Gonna fish this part of the challenge next time. Can't wait.

Main Team

Digimon-Lv49
    Psywave
    Recover
    Thunder Wave
    Psychic

Miles-Lv49
    Confusion
    Barrier
    Light Screen
    Thunderbolt

Eggman-Lv49
    Psychic
    Hypnosis
    SolarBeam
    Egg Bomb

Spinner-Lv49
    Thunder
    Water Gun
    Ice Beam
    Surf

Slaves and Others

For Strength.

For Fly.

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2013
    From the first post:
    "When starting your journey in each game, you will have to play the game using just your starter Pokémon. Then, once you gain access to the first available Pokémon of your type, continue from then on with only that type. You can use your starter to help with training these Pokémon, but cease using it in gym battles at this point. In the Kanto games, you also must catch the first Pokémon of your type before cutting the bush east of Cerulean City."

Update for Fire Type UMC (Kanto division)

For now, I am still flying solo with Charmeleon. Beat all of the trainers in the SS Anne, beat all of Lt. Surge's minions. Training up a few levels more before I challenge Surge himself.

Team:

Charmeleon (Odin) Lv. 30

Years
    Update 1:
    I did all the beginning stuff named myself Daichi and my rival Tyson (Beyblade FTW:D). Chose Bulbasaur and took Brock out easily. Caught a Nidoran M after hundreds of spearows and pidgeys. Named him Titan. Defeated loads of trainers and he easily got to level 20. Found a moon stone and evolved him. Just exited Mt. Moon.

Team:
    Titan(Nidoking)
    Lv.20
    -Poison Sting
    -Peck
    -Focus Energy
    -Double Kick

Last edited:

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Final Entry for Kanto
    Elite Four Time!

Loreli

Dewgong got taken out by a Crit Thunder from Spinner, and Cloyster got 2HKO'd by Miles Thunderbolt before attacking. (She used a Super Potion for some reason.) Eggman managed to wall Slobro's Psychic very well, and blasted it with a Solarbeam, another OHKO. I was slightly worried about Jynx, but Spinner can resist all of it's moves minus doubleslap, and got the job done with a few STAB Surfs. (After getting put to sleep with Lovely Kiss.) Lapras was a bit chunky, and it took 3 Thunders to take it down, but thankfully, it got Paralyzed and couldn't pose much of a threat.

Bruno

Eggman managed to land a Solarbeam on Onix, but got hit by Screech so I switched him out with Digimon to fight Hitmonchan, who got dropped by a Psychic. Hitmonlee met a similar fate. The next Onix was easily KO'd by Spinner's Surf, so I decided to bring Eggman back in to square off against Machamp. I expected to put Eggman's defense to the test, but somehow it out-sped Machamp and OHKO'd it with Psychic.

Agatha

Since Miles hadn't been getting too much action, I sent him out first, but he got confused by Gengar. Somehow, he managed to pull of three Confusions and set up Light Screen without hitting himself, and finally snapped out of it. Deciding not to quit while I was on a roll, I let Miles fight Golbat, who got knocked out after a few Thunderbolts. Haunter confused me again, but Miles seemed to ignore it and got a crit. I finally withdrew Miles and let Eggman have a go, who fired a Psychic at Arbok, but Gengar switched in a took a Crit in the face. Arbok came back and got Eggman in a Wrap, before finally letting up and getting destroyed by Psychic.

Lance

Since Miles probably wouldn't be able to outspeed Gyarados, so I let Starmie try his luck with Thunder. Unfortunately, it missed and Spinner got hit by Dragon Rage before bringing the beast down. Since Spinner had Ice Beam, I let him fight both Dragonairs, freezing the first one but getting hit by the second's Hyper Beam. Deciding not to be a noob and use a Hyper Potion in battle, I let him keep going. I brought Digimon out to fight Aerodactyle, but he got hit hard by Wing Attack. Aerodactyle used Fly the next turn, so I switched in Miles and took the hit. Miles was too slow to do anything and got fainted by Hyper Beam, the first casualty of the Elite Four. Digimon came back out but got fainted, and I raged at Hyper Beam not needing a recharge. Spinner, my fastest Pokemon was still outrun by Aeoractyle and fainted. Reluctantly, I sent out Eggman and he got hit hard by Wing Attack, but even a super effective Crit didn't faint him. The bird went down and Dragonite finally appeared. Panicking, I decided to heal Eggman, and he got hit by Blizzard, so I healed him again, getting caught in a stall loop. When Dragonite finally missed, I took the chance and used Hypnosis. Thankfully, it hit, and the dragon was fainted by a barrage of Psychics.

Rival

This is it, the final battle. Sandslash was up first, but got OHKO'd by Eggman's Solarbeam. Alakazam was next, so I brought out Spinner, who had the most reliable non-Psychic attack. With it's high Special, hit managed to wall my Surfs fairly well, but I managed to get two Crits in a row, and faint it. My rival sent out Eggxecutor next, and walled Spinner pretty well, hitting it with Leech Seed. Brought it down with a crit Ice Beam. Cloyster was next, and Mile's Thunderbolt almost killed it, but I got caught by Clamp. Miles won, but was injured and pretty much out for the count, so I switched to Digimon. Ninetales was fairly dangerous, having very high Special, but thanks to the random number generator, I got a crit and hit and brought it down.

The final Pokemon, Jotleon, came out and OHKO'd Digimon with Pin Missile. Eggman, having the highest defense, replaced it, and managed to dodge a Pin Missile, but Jolteon wasn't effected too much by Psychic. The second Pin Missile hit, got a Crit, but only hit two times so Eggman was left standing. The third Pin Missile missed, and Jolteon went down. If it weren't for Pin Missile having low accuracy, I would have lost for sure.

*Phew* That was a good run, and a very good final battle. Here's my final thoughts on my team.

Digimon-Lv50
    Psywave
    Recover
    Thunder Wave
    Psychic

My main Pokemon and the most offensively power. Digimon was a beast and could take out almost anything with Psychic. He had low defense, but most opponents rarely got the chance to hit him due to his ridiculous power and speed.

Miles-Lv51
    Confusion
    Barrier
    Light Screen
    Thunderbolt

Miles was somewhat of a wild card, not being the best at anything, but was the worst at nothing. His balance made him a staple of my team, dealing damage with Confusion and Thunderbolt, and walling with Barrier and Light Screen. A good team member to say the least.

Eggman-Lv51
    Psychic
    Hypnosis
    Solarbeam
    Egg Bomb

A total tank. Eggman had good defense and loads of HP. He could take Explosions and keep going. Once he learned Solarbeam, he could hit almost anything. Another valuable aspect Eggman had was his high Attack stat, being the only team member capable of dealing physical damage. Add Hypnosis to the mix and you have an amazing wall.

Spinner-Lv51
    Thunder
    Water Gun
    Ice Beam
    Surf

The speed demon of my team. He could outrun anything and hit hard with a good variety of moves. Spinner also had good defense, so he could take damage too. A solid member indeed.

Well, that was fun. Gonna move on to Gold or Crystal now, depending on whether I decide to play on an emulator or not. It was fun playing Yellow on the cart, but annoying to not be able to speed up the game.

Years
    Update 2:

Wow, I got a lot done today on LG due to not having much to do.

I caught a Sandshrew, named him Blade, and trained him on the trainers around Cerulean cape. Took Misty out with a couple of thrashes from Titan. Taught Blade dig and went to Vermillion city. Trained Blade on the S.S. Anne and he evolved. Went to face L.T Surge and Blade's dig took him out.
    Went in Diglett's Cave and found a diglett, it fainted in one hit :( found another one it fainted in one hit again D: Then I found a Dugtrio and caught him first time with a great ball :D Named her Trio. Got to Celedon and Erika lost to my Peck from Titan.
    Went in the safari zone and caught a Rhyhorn easily.He got named Rhino.After, I fought Koga and he easily lost to my ground types. Taught Titan Surf. Next I went to Saffron, went through Silph Co. and faught in the dojo for the exp. Went to Sabrina and she lost to Titan's Megahorn.
    Headed to Cinnabar and got the secret key. Went in and faught Blaine, too bad he couldn't handle Titan's Surf.(It looks like Titan is doing all the work :P). Went back to Viridian City and fought Giovanni. Again he lost to Titan's Surf. Went to Celedon and bought Thunderbolt and taught it to Rhyhorn(Probably a bad choice... but hey! I'm not bothered)

I'm outside Victory road and I'm so Underlevelled. I'm going to have to train.

Team:

Titan(Nidoking)
    Lv. 50
    -Surf
    -Peck
    -Thrash
    -Megahorn

Rhino(Rhyhorn)
    Lv.40
    -Rock Blast
    -Thunderbolt
    -Stomp
    -Fury Attack

Trio(Dugtrio)
    Lv.42
    -Dig
    -Fury Swipes
    -Slash
    -Mud Slap

Blade(Sandslash)
    Lv.43
    -Swift
    -Dig
    -Slash
    -Fury Swipes

And, Yes I DO know they are underlevelled and with bad movesets.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back