• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Everytime I wanted to update this week I thought: Hey, I could play Leafgreen instead, and get on with my challenge.

So yeah, I'm finished with Leafgreen because I basically spent every evening on it this week ^^

Overview:

I named myself Odin (for no apparent reason) and the rival Blue (for nostalgia's sake). I had to do Brock with my starter (Squirtle) because you first encounter ground types on Route 3 (Nidoran Male and Female). My next Pokémon was Sandshrew after Mt. Moon and finally a Cubone in that one tower.

This was my team:

34.png

Zerker the Nidoking
    Lvl 62

• Double-Kick
    • Thrash
    • Megahorn
    • Horn-Attack
    Spoiler:

31.png

Matriarch the Nidoqueen
    Lvl 63

• Bodyslam
    • Superpower
    • Bite
    • Rock Slide
    Spoiler:

28.png

Blader the Sandslash
    Lvl 60

• Sandstorm
    • Dig
    • Slash
    • Rock Tomb
    Spoiler:

105.png

Headshot the Marowak
    Lvl 62

• Double Edge
    • Bone-Club
    • Bonemerang
    • Thrash
    Spoiler:

Honorary mention:
    Spoiler:

Conclusion:
    I'm glad I picked Ground for my Ultimate Challenge. It's a great type with tons of cool and interesting Pokémon to use.
    I think I'll also stick with four, maximum of 5 Pokémon per game. With the usual type advantage gone, I often needed the level advantage to win. Lorelai simply murdered me when I tried E4 first, so I did some grinding in Victory Road and on that one island against all the fighting-type users (sorry, no English terms around right now ^^) and with my four main Pokémon at Level 60, it was a lot easier and more fun.

And off to Soulsilver now, unless I missed something and I still have to do something in Leafgreen before I'm allowed to move on ^^

Cheers,
    Peter

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Everytime I wanted to update this week I thought: Hey, I could play Leafgreen instead, and get on with my challenge.

I think I'll also stick with four, maximum of 5 Pokémon per game. With the usual type advantage gone, I often needed the level advantage to win.
    Yup, that sounds just like me. Oftentimes when I'm playing through something on Red/Blue, I can beat it in under an hour if I'm paying attention, so I just screencap the pic at the end.

That also sounds like me. There are always like 3-5 really good Pokemon of each type that you can get at least one of early in the game. So I always use 3-4 throughout the game, and I rarely have a problem. Also considering doubling up on a Pokemon. For my HGSS Water run, I'm using 2 starmie and 2 Feraligatr. For my Ruby Steel run, I'm using 2 Aggron and a Skarmory.

Years
  • i'm having a short break for all of my challenges, due to an upcoming battle on tuesday between me and my friend.. It takes way to long to get 24 pokemon to level 100 in one week.. even when they're traded and holding a lucky egg. Anyways, i should be able to continue my normal umc by tuesday, and if i can catch all of the legendaries in platinum, i will continue my poison umc

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Haven't been updating much but here we go.
    I beat Morty, Chuck and Jasmine fairly easily. I was worried about Steelix at first, but Igloo walled him rather nicely and used Water Gun to get a 2HKO.

Team
    gbc064.gif

Spoons-Lv38
    Psychic
    Teleport
    Ice punch
    Thunderpunch

Spoons is a hard hitting beast, super fast and super powerful. OHKO's almost everything in his path.

gbc080.gif

Igloo-Lv40
    Confusion
    Curse
    Headbutt
    Surf

Igloo is pure power. He can take hits as well as dish them out. Use Curse and he becomes a physical tank no one can stop.

gbc178.gif

Seer-Lv30
    Fly
    Leer
    Night Shade
    Teleport

Seer is the newest member of my team. He's a little fragile and lacks a Psychic-Type move, but he can still hold his own in a fight.

HM Slaves
    gbc159.gif

HM Gator-Lv20
    Surf
    Cut
    Strength

gbc175.gif

Fairy-Lv5
    Flash

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I'll do SS then with ghosts.

Username: Solarowl
    In game name: Red
    Sign me up! :D
    I haven't updated, and its been so long.
    I'd like to change it to Ultimate Mono Poison type, and I'll start with Platinum. But I won't start Isshu, till English version is released.

Username:Solarowl
    In-game name: Dusk
    I'll be using 5 pokemon and an HM slave. Currently on my team: Crobat, Gengar, Toxicroak, Vileplume, and Nidoqueen. The HM slave is a Bibarel knowing: Cut, strength, rock smash, surf.

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Yup, that sounds just like me. Oftentimes when I'm playing through something on Red/Blue, I can beat it in under an hour if I'm paying attention, so I just screencap the pic at the end.

That also sounds like me. There are always like 3-5 really good Pokemon of each type that you can get at least one of early in the game. So I always use 3-4 throughout the game, and I rarely have a problem. Also considering doubling up on a Pokemon. For my HGSS Water run, I'm using 2 starmie and 2 Feraligatr. For my Ruby Steel run, I'm using 2 Aggron and a Skarmory.

One hour, huh? That's quite impressive, my fastest run through Red was around 6 hours, back in the day...

Only going with four Pokémon was also due to the fact that I don't want to use the same team in every game, so I decided against the Geodude family for Leafgreen.
    I thought about switching out the Nidoqueen in the team for another Nidoking but she was just a very solid performer so I kept her, which was a good decision. She really showed her potential during my battles against the Elite 4.

So I started with Soulsilver and I'll try to update more regularly. I'm really happy I finally have time to play Soulsilver. I've had it since Christmas and barely touched it.

Since Soulsilver has less Ground-types than Heartgold, I can't be too picky so I started with the following team:
    74.png

Shizzle the Geodude, Level 15
    Will use it to destroy the first Gym leader now.
    194.png

Bowser the Wooper, Level 7
    This guy came as a surprise. I had completely forgotten about Woopers in G/S/C but I'm quite happy to have him around, now.
    95.png

Aaron the Onix, Level 6
    Got him in a trade in the town with that tower (I should be less lazy when looking up town names in English, sorry). He will stay at Level 6 until I find a Metalcoat and someone to backtrade. I hope this will happen soon, always wanted to use a Steelix.

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2012
    Threw Yellow on a little while ago to do some of this. Beat Brock and I'll call a break for a little while.

First thing I got myself a Jynx at Lv.2 (Wasn't too picky about waiting around for a higher level one to show up) since my earliest access to an Ice Pokemon is quite a few badges in, and I chose Jynx since I don't believe you can get her in Yellow without trade anyway, so I just chose her so it will give me another Pokemon on my final roster.

Beat my Rival at Lv.9, although in hindsight I probably should have skipped that fight and let him get a Flareon for some added fun late-game.

After that I took on Brock. Considering I was only Lv.12 I believe when the battle started, it was a pretty long one. I spent the battle whittling his Pokemon's health down with Pound and occasionally putting them to sleep when I needed healing, ended up running though 6 Potions. Got to the final notch of Health on Onix and started using Struggle after being hit with a good amount of Screeches. Finally finished with about 7 Health left and no PP on either of my moves. Get equip with Bouldrebadge!

Years
  • Okay, i'm really REALLY frustrated now. I've been EVERYWHERE looking for a heracross and have yet to find one. For now, im taking a break from this one.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • One hour, huh? That's quite impressive, my fastest run through Red was around 6 hours, back in the day...
    Yeah, I've done so many playthroughs of Red/Blue that I've memorized the entire map, almost all of the trainer Pokemon (well, almost all the important ones that you have to battle), as well as the important TM locations, where I can get every "good" Pokemon and what they can learn, etc. Too bad I can't do that on all the games...

Only going with four Pokémon was also due to the fact that I don't want to use the same team in every game, so I decided against the Geodude family for Leafgreen.
    I thought about switching out the Nidoqueen in the team for another Nidoking but she was just a very solid performer so I kept her, which was a good decision. She really showed her potential during my battles against the Elite 4.
    When comparing Nidoqueen to Nidoking, you basically have to ask yourself if you plan on it dieing a lot. They learn the exact same movesets/TMs (except for like one move), and the only difference in stats is Nidoqueen has +HP and Def while Nidoking has +Atk and Speed. I always go with Nidoking because he is one of the previously mentioned "good" pokemon, so I let him get quite overleveled to where I won't need that extra HP and Def.
    So I started with Soulsilver and I'll try to update more regularly. I'm really happy I finally have time to play Soulsilver. I've had it since Christmas and barely touched it.
    Barely touched mine too. But that's because it goes sooooooo sloooooow when I play it.
    Since Soulsilver has less Ground-types than Heartgold, I can't be too picky so I started with the following team:
    74.png

Shizzle the Geodude, Level 15
    Will use it to destroy the first Gym leader now.
    Definitely a worthy pick. I've done normal runs of Silver with just a Graveler and Kadabra.
    194.png

Bowser the Wooper, Level 7
    This guy came as a surprise. I had completely forgotten about Woopers in G/S/C but I'm quite happy to have him around, now.
    I've got one in my current Silver Nuzlocke. Must say he is really useful.
    95.png

Aaron the Onix, Level 6
    Got him in a trade in the town with that tower (I should be less lazy when looking up town names in English, sorry). He will stay at Level 6 until I find a Metalcoat and someone to backtrade. I hope this will happen soon, always wanted to use a Steelix.
    Don't know what to say on this one, never used a Steelix, cause I never trade with anyone unless I have to. But it can learn the three elemental fang moves, so I won't complain about him.
    Well, I decided to press on. I finished off Misty and Sabrina, and as soon as my EQ Feraligatr hits 50, I'm going to take on Surge. I guess I'll do Brock and Blaine while I'm waiting.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • Soul Silver Finished

Finally finished Soul Silver's run. Had to grind FOREVER to be up to par with Red since my team was in the 40s-50s. Red is only easy when you have a balanced team and someone to kill that tank of a Snorlax.

Team (red for girls, blue for boys)

Jonghyun the Typhlosion
    lvl 85
    item: Miracle Seed
    moveset: Earthquake, Solar Beam, Sunny Day, Flamethrower

CL the Houndoom
    lvl 74
    item: Charcoal
    moveset: Howl, Crunch, Flamethrower, Nasty Plot

Amber the Ninetales
    lvl. 70
    item: Charcoal
    moveset: Flamethrower, Toxic, Grudge, Quick Attack

Youngbae the Magmar
    lvl. 76
    item: Heat Rock
    moveset: Confuse Ray, Sunny Day, Fire Blast, Faint Attack

Ho Oh
    lvl. 70
    item: Sacred Ash
    (HM Slave for Fly and took the brunt of Snorlax' hits. Only one to survive long enough to kill Red's last Pokemon Venusaur.)

Snorlax
    lvl. 50
    (Rock Climb Slave never used in battle)

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Just scared myself. Started back up Ruby and saw myself at Flannery with Aron and Skarmory and Marshtomp that was much lower. I was like uhhhh how am I going to beat this. Then I remembered this was Monotype, not Nuzlocke. Phew.

Beat Flannery, went back and beat Brawly since I had Skarmory, then beat Norman, got Surf, got Fly, beat Winona.

Edit: Tate and Liza were quite easy with Iron Tail+Steel Wing. But Flamethrower OHKO'd Skarmory before Lairon went. So Marshtomp got even more exp. Sigh.
    Did Magma base stuff
    Beat Groudon in Sootpolis

Team:

Aggron (level 42)
    Earthquake
    Rock Tomb
    Headbutt
    Iron Tail

Skarmory (level 27ish)
    Aerial Ace
    Fly
    Thief
    Steel Wing

Marshtomp (who cares)
    Surf
    Rock Smash
    Dive
    Strength

Castform (whatever level you get it)
    (whatever moves it has)

Next to do:
    Level Skarmory some, beat Wallace, Catch another Lairon/Aggron and teach it Thunderbolt, Surf, Ice Beam, and Flamethrower, and teach the one I have Brick Break over Headbutt. And then beat the Elite Four.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ending Team Rocket! Back from a long... not-playing session I guess :P I got bored but I decided to play some more.

-Game Froze!
    -Defeated Rival for the Second Time
    -Saved in the Underground Basement
    -Froze Again!
    -Somehow bypassed Freezing!
    -Disbanded Team Rocket!

My Team is;

Typhlosion [Blaze] Lv40
    Serious Nature @Charcoal
    -Flame Wheel
    -Headbutt
    -Swift
    -Lava Plume

Growlithe [Ashe Jr.] Lv40

Hasty Nature @None
    -Flamethrower
    -Reversal
    -Headbutt
    -Dig

Magmar [Torcher] Lv40
    Impish Nature @None
    -Fire Punch
    -Lava Plume
    -Confuse Ray
    -Faint Attack

Bellsprout [Slave #1]
    Krabby [Slave #2]
    Spearow [Kenya]
    Geodude [Baoba #1]

Sandshrew [Baoba #2]

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    @myrrhman: Thanks for the feedback on my team. I understand your reluctance to trade. It's hard for me to find someone my age with a Nintendo DS ^^
    Luckily, I have a 15-year-old nephew who helps me out from time to time.

@Crackin355: That Fire team looks awesome. (When) are you planning to evolve your Growlithe?

Previously on Cathars UMC Ground:
    Spoiler:

Team Soulsilver:
    75.png

Kiss the Graveler, Level 25
    Spoiler:

195.png

Bowser the Quagsire, Level 23
    Spoiler:

34.png

Loverboy the Nidoking, Level 22
    Spoiler:

Honorary Mention
    :
    Spoiler:

Two quick questions, if they are allowed here:
    What is the soonest you can get a Swinub in Soulsilver? And can you evolve it to Mamoswine before the Elite Four?

Until next time!
    Cheers,
    Peter

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    Hey, couple of questions/requests...
    - I used to be dragon0fangz, is it too much bother to change dragon0fangz to 649?
    -I am planning on starting a Pokemon XD Rock Monotype, can I write the story here, even if it's not a required game?

Also, @Cathar, In the Ice Cave, and yes you can. It will need some grinding, a Heart Scale, and the move relearner in Blackthorn. When it becomes a piloswine, you'll have to use the Heart Scale on the relearner to teach your Piloswine Ancientpower. Level it up once more, and it'll evolve. That is, if I'm not mistaken.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    I would like to sign up for a single Ice Monotype challenge in Pokemon Ruby.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • I'm finally starting on my favorite region of the Pokemon Universe: Hoenn.

I set the clock to 10:40 AM, met the Birch Family, and went to save Professor Birch.
    I soft reset several times to get a female Torchic who I named Amber. We battled Brendan who thought that I lieked Mudkipz and got to lvl 7 w/ Focus Energy. Now I have to go to Petalburg to show her off to my dad and meet Wally.

In Game Name: Lovelie
    Team:

(Original Stats w/out EVs)

Amber/Torchic
    lvl 5
    Ability: Blaze
    Nature: Careful
    Item: N/A
    Ribbon: N/A
    HP 20 | Atk 11 | Def 9 | SpAtk 10 | SpDef 11 | Spd 10
    Movelist: Scratch (Tough) | Growl (Cute)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back