• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
  • Sigh, I did it again. Aggron wasn't powerful enough to take on Wallace without the Thunder TM, so I replaced Rock Tomb, thinking that I'd be able to relearn it. But apparently, the move relearner only works for level up moves, could have replaced Iron Tail too...

Anyways, I'm heading to Victory Road now.

Edit: Decided not to do VR yet. Instead I'm going around and getting the stat enhancing items for all the moves I'll be using. So far I've gotten Metal Coat, Soft Sand, Black Belt, Mystic Water, and Charcoal. Left is Magnet, Nevermeltice, Sharp Beak, and possibly Dragon Fang.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Okay so a few things, in my quest for a heracross my poliwhirl gained 10 levels. Good stuff. I beat morty before catching a heracross because muscle stopped listening.

th_morty.png

after literally hours... I FINALLY found one.
    th_heracross.png

Did some stuff, and got 2 more badges(pryce screen cap didnt exactly work)
    th_chuck.png
    th_jasmine.png
    th_pryce.png

oh, and look what i found. i lobbed an ultra ball and prayed, it worked.
    th_raikou.png
    th_raikoucaught.png

Thats all for today.

Current Team:
    Spr_2c_061.gif

Poliwhirl (lvl 37)
    -Headbutt
    -Hypnosis
    -Surf
    -Ice Punch
    Spr_2c_067.gif

Muscle the Machoke (lvl 35)
    -Low Kick
    -Leer
    -Dig
    -Karate Chop
    Spr_2c_214.gif

Heracross (lvl 34)
    -Horn Attack
    -Counter
    -Hidden Power (Fighting)
    -Fury Attack

HM Slave
    Cyndaquil (Cut)
    Spearow (fly)
    Gyarados (strength, whirlpool, rock smash)

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2012
    @Myrr - Ouch, that's got to sting. Got a back up plan?

Cleaned up my Ultimate Ice Part 1 last night. Yellow was cleaned up rather nicely.

Spoiler:

Travis T. the Dewgong @ Lv.52
    Aurora Beam
    Surf
    Strength
    Rest

May the Lapras @ Lv.53
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Psychic
    Confuse Ray

Tap Deck the Cloyster @ Lv.55
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Swift
    Spike Cannon

Trish the Jynx @ Lv.60
    Ice Punch
    Lovely Kiss
    Metronome
    Body Slam

Here's to less Alakazam's in Crystal. Cheers for now!

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2013
    Lack of updates kills. >.< School just started back up, so my time has gone down the drain. Bravely I press on!

Mmmkay, so I squished a couple of gym leaders and Team Rocket. Got the surf HM/strength HM. Caught a Ponyta. Surfed to Cinnabar, spent a long time looking for a Growlithe before remembering it's only on one floor. >.< Caught Growlithe, beat Blaine. Now training because Giovanni's going to be a snot, I know it.

Team:

Charizard (Odin) Lv. 42
    Strength
    Slash
    Ember (LOL)
    Dig

Flareon (Freya) Lv. 44
    Fire Spin
    Body Slam
    Quick Attack
    Bite

Vulpix (Loki) Lv. 41 (SO CLOSE!)
    Flamethrower
    Confuse Ray
    Quick Attack
    Ember

Ponyta (Skadi) Lv. 40
    Stomp
    Ember
    Fire Spin
    (Something useless)

Growlithe (Balder) Lv. 30
    Take Down
    Ember
    Bite
    Toxic

(Various HM Slaves)

I'm a bit underleveled, but it's the STAB EQs coming up that scares me. Also, I know at least 1 of Giovanni's Pokemon has Thunder, so relying on Odin won't work.

Goals:
    Evolve Vulpix
    Evolve Ponyta
    Get Growlithe at least to 40
    Beat Giovanni

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • @Myrr - Ouch, that's got to sting. Got a back up plan?
    Well, the good news is that I was at Wallace, who is the last gym leader, so I didn't have that much left to do. I think I'm going to replace it with Dragon Claw. In the elite four, I won't need it for Sydney (Brick Break), Phoebe (Idk what I'll use, but it'll probably be Iron Tail), Drake (Ice Beam and possibly Dragon Claw), or Steven (Flamethrower, Earthquake, and Brick Break). The only person I could have used it on would have been Glacia, who I'll have Brick Break, Iron Tail, Thunderbolt, and Flamethrower for.
    I'm a bit underleveled, but it's the STAB EQs coming up that scares me. Also, I know at least 1 of Giovanni's Pokemon has Thunder, so relying on Odin won't work.
    Its the Nidoking. I remember very very rough times with that particular Pokemon. Best of luck.

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2012
    @Myrr - Oh my apologies. For a second I remembered Wallace being 6th or 7th Gym wise. It's been forever since I've played R/S/E...

Quick Update on Ice run.

Spoiler:

In short; 4 Badges down, and got another addition to the team.

Current Team:

Spr_2c_131.gif

May the Lapras - Lv.40
    Surf
    Body Slam
    Ice Beam
    Mist

Spr_2c_090.gif

Tap Deck the Shellder - Lv.20
    Tackle
    Withdraw
    Supersonic
    Aurora Beam

Quick question to anyone that has used one, is Delibird worth it? I was thinking about using Dewgong in my final spot, but after the shenanigans it put me through in Yellow I was thinking about replacing it, but having never really had any interest in Delibird I'm not really sure if it would hold it's own better than Dewgong. Any thoughts on Dewgong v Delibird for the slot choice?

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • Quick question to anyone that has used one, is Delibird worth it? I was thinking about using Dewgong in my final spot, but after the shenanigans it put me through in Yellow I was thinking about replacing it, but having never really had any interest in Delibird I'm not really sure if it would hold it's own better than Dewgong. Any thoughts on Dewgong v Delibird for the slot choice?

No, Delibird is soooo not worth it. It's stats are the pits and don't even make the few STAB moves it can learn worth the time and energy. Hustle is an okay move, but it's unpredictable and you don't know whether it will injure or heal your opponents. I suggest that if you need a new ice member, go with Sneasel or Swinub (if your playing HGSS, level Piloswine up w/ Ancientpower for Mamoswine), or keep Dewgong around. Anything is better than Delibird.

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2012
    No, Delibird is soooo not worth it. It's stats are the pits and don't even make the few STAB moves it can learn worth the time and energy. Hustle is an okay move, but it's unpredictable and you don't know whether it will injure or heal your opponents. I suggest that if you need a new ice member, go with Sneasel or Swinub (if your playing HGSS, level Piloswine up w/ Ancientpower for Mamoswine), or keep Dewgong around. Anything is better than Delibird.
    I'm playing through Crystal right now, so there's only 7 available Pokemon. Never planned on keeping Delibird past Gen 2, but was just wondering if it was worth the trouble while I was considering him. Never had a Delibird so I didn't know his stats were that bad.

Thanks for the input, I'll be putting up with Dewgong's shenanigans again this Generation I guess.

Years
  • I am in Vermillion City ready to face the SS Anne their route 24 or 25(Not shure) was hard as Zard was to underleveled. Made a big mistake when teaching dig to Zard as I accidently got rid of slash insted of lear

Current team

Zard (Charmillion) level 24
    Dig
    Rage
    Ember
    Lear

Planned team
    Charizard
    Arcanine
    Rapidash
    Flareon
    Ninetails

Can you guys give me some ideas for moves (Please put weather its a tm or hm or just a level up move

SyngthaSuyeon

Years
  • Hoenn Update

I'm playing through Crystal right now, so there's only 7 available Pokemon. Never planned on keeping Delibird past Gen 2, but was just wondering if it was worth the trouble while I was considering him. Never had a Delibird so I didn't know his stats were that bad.

Thanks for the input, I'll be putting up with Dewgong's shenanigans again this Generation I guess.

O_O 7?!?!? Ugh... That's awful :( So basically, the available Pokemon can make a full team without any alternatives (unless you breed the same couple of Pokemon over and over).

Aish... And I thought Hoenn had slim pickings for Fire types between Torchic, Numel, Torkoal, Slugma, and Vulpix...

(Torchic family and Vulpix family are FTW, but Numel, Slugma, and Torkoal are horridly sluggish. I like fast sweepers.)

Hoenn update
    Faced Roxanne, Brawly, and Watson with only Amber and beat them single handed. She's now a lvl 36 Blaziken with Peck, Double Kick, Bulk Up, and Blaze Kick. Caught a couple of Numel. Named the boy Danson and the girl Victoria. Victoria's in the box and I'm training Danson. Taught him Strength. Caught an Oddish for Flash and Cut purposes, a Poochyena for Rock Smash, and a Marill for Surf/Dive.

Current goal: Get Danson to Amber's lvl then fight team Aqua/Magma/Whoever at Meteor Falls.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2016
    Heres my update(sorta):
    I had to restart because I lost my save file -_-

-Ditched Pikachu and caught Pidgey and Rattata
    -Leveled them both to 15
    -Defeated Brock with only Rattata

My Team:
    Pidgey - Lv.15
    Rattata - Lv.16

SyngthaSuyeon

Years
  • I am in Vermillion City ready to face the SS Anne their route 24 or 25(Not shure) was hard as Zard was to underleveled. Made a big mistake when teaching dig to Zard as I accidently got rid of slash insted of lear

Current team

Zard (Charmillion) level 24
    Dig
    Rage
    Ember
    Lear

Planned team
    Charizard
    Arcanine
    Rapidash
    Flareon
    Ninetales

Can you guys give me some ideas for moves (Please put weather its a tm or hm or just a level up move

My final team's moveset for Fire Red and SS (in Ninetales case) was:

Jiyong/Charizard: Slash (level up) |Smokescreen (level up)|Blast Burn [can't learn this until you go to the Sevii(?) Islands post E4] or Flamethrower (level up) |Aerial Ace (TM)

Junhyung/Flareon: Bite (level up) |Dig (TM) |Smog (level up)|Fire Spin (level up)

Jaejoong/Arcanine: Flamethrower (level up as a Growlithe) |Extremespeed Must evolve at level 49 if you want both Flamethrower & Extremespeed) |Toxic (TM) |Roar (comes w/ @ catch)

Amber/Ninetales: Flamethrower (level up)|Grudge (level up as a Vulpix. idk if this was available during Gen III. If you're playing the originals, then it's not available) |Toxic (TM) |Quick Attack (comes w/ @ catch)

Hope this is helpful.

Years
  • Since im done battling and catching all of the pokemon that i needed to in platinum(except for crescillia zapdos and articuno..), i will be updating my poison UMC very soon. I just need to trade over all of the pokes i caught to my heartgold. I've been really excited about starting this one

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2012
    @Cardwell - Your Heracross pain was shared and I never curse this onto anyone. I would probably have an easier time finding a Shiny than finding a Jynx... I salute your patience!

@jt4811 - I'm not sure what Generation you're playing (R/B/Y or FR/LG) but assuming it's FR/LG I might have a Flareon moveset that could prove helpful.

Flareon-
    Flamethrower (Level Up, at 52 I believe, until then just stick with another Fire move) or Bite if you think you've got enough Fire moves in your team.
    Iron Tail (TM23, Game Corner)
    Dig (You can buy more at Celadon in FR/LG I believe) or if you decide to keep Dig on Charizard Shadow Ball? (TM30 Game Corner) it could prove useful against Agetha, Sabrina, and Rival.
    Toxic(TM06)/Smog (Level up, at 42) or Sunny Day

Should cover a few options your team might be in need of.

O_O 7?!?!? Ugh... That's awful :( So basically, the available Pokemon can make a full team without any alternatives (unless you breed the same couple of Pokemon over and over).

Aish... And I thought Hoenn had slim pickings for Fire types between Torchic, Numel, Torkoal, Slugma, and Vulpix...

I believe in Hoenn I've only got 2 Pokemon that can be legitily obtained... Snorunt/Glalie, and the Spheal family. It's going to be bad news bears.

Anyway quick update full of rage. Lots and lots of rage.

Spoiler:

In short, 7 Badges down. I now officially despise Ice Cave. I'll probably be strolling through the game for awhile after this major unintended grind-fest...

Current Team:

Spr_2c_131.gif

May the Lapras - Lv.46
    Ice Beam
    Body Slam
    Surf
    Rain Dance

Spr_2c_091.gif

Tap Deck the Cloyster - Lv.51 @ Quick Claw (Does it really need it anymore? Hahaha)
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Supersonic
    Clamp

Spr_2c_215.gif

Shredder the Sneasel - Lv.47
    Fury Swipes
    Faint Attack
    Quick Attack
    Screech

The move sets are dull at the moment, but I'll be using some of the TMs I've been hoarding since the beginning of the game as soon as I get a full team so I have everything laid out, making it a little easier to think.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • I know Jynx has a 5% encounter rate at night, but I've never had THIS hard of a time finding a 1-5% chance encounter.
    I lost track of time as I was in there for so long, but considering I took a break roughly 1 hour 30 minutes in, and it's roughly 1 hour 40 minutes after my break, I think it's safe to say I spent 3+ hours on B3F with no luck what so ever...
    I would've tried to hatch the Odd Egg you get at the Day-care into a Smoochum earlier. Save before you get the egg, then hatch it right there, until you get one. 50% shiny too lol, although the IVs for shinys in Gen II are horrible.

I guess it's a moot point now, though. By the way people, I'm trying to think about my next ultimate monotype run. What types do you recommend? I was thinking normal is a decent one, as it has good variety without being OP like Water is. Any other types you guys can recommend, and why? I already did a flying one, if you don't see it in my sig.

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2012
    I would've tried to hatch the Odd Egg you get at the Day-care into a Smoochum earlier. Save before you get the egg, then hatch it right there, until you get one. 50% shiny too lol, although the IVs for shinys in Gen II are horrible.

-Insert obligatory Pikachu rage face here-

I can't believe I forgot about that egg. Doesn't it give you Dizzy Punch or something? Yeah, forget Ice Cave I'll just abuse to get a Smoochum from that. I'm sure Dizzy Punch will prove useful. Good thing I checked this before going back to Ice Cave, as it was not a moot point. I gave up after 3+ hours of looking and was going to continue it later today/tomorrow. Many thanks on the reminder.

As for the your monotype, you could try Bug? The stats on most of them aren't too impressive and the move pools for a lot of them are lacking, but a mono-bug team can handle more than you'd think. I've actually done an Ultimate Mono with Bugs before and it's not too difficult if you set them up right. Other than that Normal seems like your other bet.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • So good news. I'm using two Aggrons and a Skarmory for my Steel (ruby) monotype. The one that I've had knows EQ, Brick Break, Iron Tail, and Thunder (R.I.P. Rock Tomb), and I just caught my second one that's going to know Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Surf. So, I caught him and checked his nature, which was Modest, which means -Atk and +Sp. Atk. Couldn't have asked for a better nature. Just wish the one I had was adamant.

Caught a Zigzagoon for HM duties. Can't believe I still needed HM duties after I got all 8 badges. Taught him Rock Smash and Cut so I could do the Trick House

Did the trick house until I got the Magnet (6 trick houses.)

Sold everything I had to get enough coins to buy Flamethrower. Taught it to Aggron2

Got Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, taught them and surf to Aggron2.

Decided to finally do Victory Road.

Almost blacked out to a particularly tough Tentacruel. Made it about 2/3 of the way before I had to go back. Oh well, I'll finish this tomorrow maybe...

Edit for jd: Aww, but water is so fun...

I liked doing Ghost, and am planning on doing something like Ground or Poison next. You should do one of those.

Years
  • By the way people, I'm trying to think about my next ultimate monotype run. What types do you recommend? I was thinking normal is a decent one, as it has good variety without being OP like Water is. Any other types you guys can recommend, and why? I already did a flying one, if you don't see it in my sig.

water and ground are both fun, although a tad on the easy side. flying, we've both done, so that's out. Fighting is kind of... lame, since looking ahead, theres not a lot of fighting type pokemon to use.

my gen I electric run was rather fun, so maybe try that one? although your gen II team would be the same, but swapping ampharos for pikachu/raichou, and gen 3 would be hard to get started on.

for a real challenge you could try something like poison, bug or grass (i hate grass)

edit: Since no one has posted since my last on, and this cant wait, i shall edit.
    th_PokemonCrystalcleared.png

Need i say more?
    Final Team
    Spr_2c_062.gif

Poliwrath (Lvl 56)
    -Surf
    -Psychic
    -Hypnosis
    -Ice Punch

Spr_2c_067.gif

Muscle the Machoke (lvl 58)
    -Earthquake
    -Cross chop
    -Dig
    -Karate Chop
    Spr_2c_214.gif

Heracross (lvl 56)
    -Horn Attack
    -Counter
    -Hidden Power (Fighting)
    -Megahorn

HM Slave
    Cyndaquil (Cut)
    Spearow (fly)
    Gyarados (strength, whirlpool, waterfall, rock smash)

On to Ruby.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Congrats for beating RED Cardwell
    And to those guys who helped me thanks but i am using Yellow not FR/LG

I am now in Cleadon City and have gotten Eeve and Vulpix and evolved them both with fire stones I bought. oh and Charizard evolved

Pokemon

Zard (Charizard) lv 36
    Flare (Flareon) lv 25
    Tay (Ninetails) lv 18

Time for some grinding

SyngthaSuyeon

Years
  • Congrats for beating RED Cardwell
    And to those guys who helped me thanks but i am using Yellow not FR/LG

I am now in Cleadon City and have gotten Eeve and Vulpix and evolved them both with fire stones I bought. oh and Charizard evolved

Pokemon

Zard (Charizard) lv 36
    Flare (Flareon) lv 25
    Tay (Ninetails) lv 18

Time for some grinding

You just screwed your Vulpix over :( Ninetales can't learn anything once she's evolved.

http://www.dltk-kids.com/pokemon/adoptions/vulpix-p.html

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back