• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikwaylx

Man with 10000 pronounciations
Years
  • Uhhyuhhh.. It's been a while guys. I haven't played Pokemon Ruby in yonks! All I can tell you is that I have a Machoke now, getting ready to become a smexy Machamp.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2011
    I finally took down the E4, and passed 20 hours of playing time in the process :)

Lorelei was a huge pain, but thunder and thunderbolt eventually took her down. Bruno was pretty easy, and Agatha was a joke. Even with some missed attacks, Lance went down without much of a problem, too.
    ??? was pretty easy up until blastoise. I got pretty lucky he used withdraw a few times instead of hydro pump, and nidoqueen managed to beat it.

Winning Team:
    Nidoqueen - lv. 54
    Skull Bash
    Toxic
    Surf
    Thunderbolt

Nidoking - lv. 53
    Thunder
    Earthquake
    Blizzard
    Fire Blast

Sandslash - lv. 49
    Swift
    Swords Dance
    Slash
    Cut

Dugtrio - lv. 52
    Slash
    Dig
    Earthquake
    Sand-attack

Onix - lv. 50
    Rock Slide
    Dig
    Strength
    Rock Throw

One game down, three to go.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Uhhyuhhh.. It's been a while guys. I haven't played Pokemon Ruby in yonks! All I can tell you is that I have a Machoke now, getting ready to become a smexy Machamp.
    Welcome back, Ikwalyx! :D

And it's been awhile for myself as well, XD. I still haven't defeated Clair yet, and my "Espeon" is still an Eevee, heh.

Yaziyo

Everyone's favourite Arab
    Years
  • Hmm I went crazy with blue yesterday and tore through the first 4 Gyms with my normal team.

Start
    I picked bulbasaur because I wanted to see Charizard being played by the Rival, no other reason. I ditched it as soon as I caught a rattata and it's currently my Cut HM slave. :)

Brock!
    Rattata's hyper fang widdled down geodude's hp while geodude kept defence-curling. Basically, were it not for hyper-fang I would be still fighting Brock now with tackle or some other ridiculously weak move. The thing about Gen I is that the pokemon movesets were really limited and you had to rely on the random as TMs that people give you. So at the first gym, you have no TMs yet and it's a bit of a struggle. Onix was easy, I tail-whipped him a few tmes, before rattata died and then sent in spearow to peck him to death.
    Team
    rbspr019.png

Rattata

rbspr021.png

Spearow
    --
    I Picked up a Clefairy, in Mt Moon, evolved both Rattata and Spearow and went on to own:

Misty!
    I took advantage of the Fairy's sing to bring Staryu to sleep, before double slapping the crap out of it. Then was the much feared Starmie. I sang it to sleep then sent in Raticate to deal with it with it's Uber Hyper-fang.

Team
    rbspr020.png

Raticate

rbspr022.png

Fearow

rbspr035.png

Clefairy
    --
    Obliterated a bunch of junior trainers, bug catchers, sailors and rival before going onto...

Lt. Surge!
    Two words: Raticate's Dig. This was the easiest badge so far. I lost no HP.

Team unchanged
    rbspr020.png

Raticate

rbspr022.png

Fearow

rbspr035.png

Clefairy
    --
    After a bunch of plot advancing, I met:

The Grass Gym who's leader's name I forgot!
    This Gym was a joke. Fearow 1 Hit KO'd everyone inside.
    --
    Current Team
    rbspr020.png

Raticate - Lv39
    Hyper Fang
    Tail Whip
    Dig
    Quick Attack

rbspr022.png

Fearow - Lv38
    Drill Peck
    Mirror Move
    Leer
    Fury Attack

rbspr036.png

Clefable - Lv39
    Bubblebeam
    Thunderwave
    Sing
    Ice Beam
    --
    I'm currently trying to make some cash to buy a Porygon to supplement Clefable as a special attacker. And then I'll probably pick up a Kangaskhan at the safari zone or a snorlax for all my surfing needs.

Yams

Polursaring!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    As I continue my challenge in Sapphire, I have defeated the third gym. Wattson was extremely hard to defeat, because of his steel types. I confused his magnemite and attacked it with confusion from Dustox until it fainted. The voltorb went down to my gulpins sludge, but magneton was extremely difficult. I got lucky with Supersonic and confusion there, so his health went down, and with a stun spore from gloom, he was slower. I Confusioned him to death with Dustox after.
    I caught a Seviper south of Fallarbor , I have proceeded through firey path, caught a koffing and a grimer while there, went to Meteorite falls, went to Mt. chimney after, and defeated Team Aqua. Now I am training my team to defeat Flannery. Golbat evolved somewhere between there

Team:

Crobat Lv27
    Steel Wing
    Wing Attack
    Supersonic
    Bite
    Gloom Lv26
    Absorb
    Acid
    Stun Spore
    Poisonpowder
    Tentacool Lv 26
    Bubblebeam
    Supersonic
    Constrict
    Acid
    Grimer Lv20
    Pound
    Minimize
    Disable
    Sludge
    Koffing Lv20
    Poison Gas
    Tacle
    Smog
    Selfdestruct
    Seviper Lv20
    Screech
    Lick
    Bite
    Poison Tail

*I've seen 4 Surskits already, and I've always wanted them in my Ruby version before. :\

Last edited:

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • This is a top idea, kudos to whoever thought up this challenge ;)

This provides a welcome distraction from fighting hundreds and thousands of bugs in Viridian Forest to level up my team past Lv 40 so I may start afresh and give this challenge a go myself!

I'll be using Pokémon Blue and my chosen type will be Electrics :cool:

Wish me luck!

Update:
    Chose Squirtle as a starter (What would a challenge be without my Rival's starter having a resistance to my chosen type?!), caught a Pikachu in Viridian Forest and so far i've levelled it up to Lv 10. Long way to go yet though, i'll need a non-Electric type move if i've any hope of beating Brock.

Ani025MS.png
    Pikachu/Sergio lv 10
    121esnp.jpg
    Thundershock
    121esnp.jpg
    Growl
    121esnp.jpg
    Thunder Wave

I'll also renew the Trainer Card in my siggy regularly to keep everyone updated.

Update:
    Defeated Brock, somehow. Failed numerous times, and i'm still not entirely sure how I managed to beat him in the end (Luck and a LOT of potions).
    Technique: First, went to Viridian Forest and spent up all my Thundershocks and Thunderwaves, leaving myself with just 10 Growls and my Quick Attacks. Bought about 15 potions from the mart (Had to sell my Pokéballs and a couple of Antidotes to afford it), then saved before fighting Brock. Geodude wasn't too much trouble, I found that going all-out and repeatedly Quick Attacking him eventually finished him off. But Onix was a different story altogether. After his Onix defeated me about 6 times I decided to use up my 10 growls to make sure his Tackles weren't doing more than 4 or 5 damage to me, then just repeatedly used Quick Attack to whittle down his HP. Once Quick Attacks were used up it was onto Struggle (Hence the 15 potions). Finally managed to make Onix faint but my god it was a task and a half. Pikachu grew to Level 19 and the world is now a much happier place. Just for the record, Pikachu's the only Pokémon i'm using, full stop. I haven't used Squirtle in any trainer battles (And I don't plan to).

Ani025MS.png
    Pikachu/Sergio lv 19
    121esnp.jpg
    Thundershock
    121esnp.jpg
    Growl
    121esnp.jpg
    Thunder Wave
    121esnp.jpg
    Quick Attack

Will need to pick up a Bellsprout or something in Cerulean so I can use Cut.

Last edited:

Yams

Polursaring!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    Well I was playing while posting my last post, so I have gotten farther. I defeated Flannery easily with Tentacools bubblebeam Norman was difficult, but a combination of Screech and X attacks brought down his Slaking. Winona was easy as I had taught some TMs like Rock Tomb and Thunderbolt to my pokemon. I defeated Team Aqua again, not for the last time though, and I am waiting outside the Mossdeep gym. This will most likely be the largest challenge for me.

Team:

Crobat Lv36
    Steel Wing
    Fly
    Confuse Ray
    Bite
    Koffing Lv34
    Sludge
    Thunderbolt
    Smokescreen
    Selfdestruct
    Grimer Lv33
    Sludge
    Rock Tomb
    Screech
    Minimize
    Tentacruel Lv34
    Bubblebeam
    Supersonic
    Surf
    Acid
    Gloom Lv34
    Absorb
    Acid
    Giga Drain
    Stun Spore
    Seviper Lv33
    Screech
    Glare
    Crunch
    Poison Tail

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • Update:
    Second badge collected, Misty posed absolutely no challenge at all for my Pikachu. All the Pokémon used (Including the two Trainers' beasts in her gym) were knocked out in one hit aside from Starmie, and even she went down in two!
    Went down to Vermillion, got Cut, captured a Bellsprout and taught it the HM. Went back up and East of Cerulean to the patch of grass beside Rock Tunnel and caught a Lv 14 Voltorb (Named it Joules - See what I did there?!), and i'm busy training it up to a decent level now. I want it to know swift for when I start using it for battles on the SS Anne. After which i'll take on Lt Surge.

Ani025MS.png
    Pikachu/Sergio Lv 33
    121esnp.jpg
    Thundershock
    121esnp.jpg
    Swift
    121esnp.jpg
    Thunder Wave
    121esnp.jpg
    Quick Attack

Ani100MS.png
    Voltorb/Joules
    Lv 23
    121esnp.jpg
    Sonic Boom
    121esnp.jpg
    Thunder Wave
    121esnp.jpg
    Tackle
    121esnp.jpg
    Screech

Update:
    Surge provided little challenge as my newly evolved Electrode and Sergio swept aside his electric beasties. Trained Joules up to Level 36 (So that it learnt Swift) then let it evolve. It's a decent Pokémon but it's low attack and defence stats let it down I'm wanting to counter these deficiencies with Reflect, which I will buy when I get to Celadon. Pikachu will also be getting evolved in Celadon as it pretty much has all the moves I want it to have (Apart from Double Team which I can get later), as i'm not too keen on Thunder. Got the joys of Rock Tunnel coming up next, then Celadon where I can pick me up and Eevee and evolve it straight into a Jolteon.

Ani025MS.png
    Pikachu/Sergio Lv 36
    121esnp.jpg
    Thunderbolt
    121esnp.jpg
    Swift
    121esnp.jpg
    Thunder Wave
    121esnp.jpg
    Quick Attack

Ani101MS.png
    Electrode/Joules
    Lv 36
    121esnp.jpg
    Swift
    121esnp.jpg
    Thunder Wave
    121esnp.jpg
    Sonicboom
    121esnp.jpg
    Screech

The moves i've highlighted in red are the ones i'm looking to replace later on.

Update:
    No new badges but my team is starting to shape up a little. Made it through the hell-hole that is Rock Tunnel (Barely), got to Celadon and aquired an Eevee which was quickly evolved into Jolteon. At the same time Pikachu got taught Double Team in place of Quick Attack and Electrode added Reflect to his moves list (In an attempt to try and cover his defensive frailties). Just one more Electric type to catch (Magnemite) now and i'll have my team ready for the Elite Four. First though, i'll be battling Erika for the Rainbow Badge and sorting out Team Rocket/Ghost Tower.

Ani026MS.png
    Raichu/Sergio Lv 40
    121esnp.jpg
    Thunderbolt
    121esnp.jpg
    Swift
    121esnp.jpg
    Thunder Wave
    121esnp.jpg
    Double Team

Ani101MS.png
    Electrode/Joules
    Lv 39
    121esnp.jpg
    Swift
    121esnp.jpg
    Thunder Wave
    121esnp.jpg
    Reflect
    121esnp.jpg
    Screech

Ani135MS.png
    Jolteon/Sparky Lv 34
    121esnp.jpg
    Thundershock
    121esnp.jpg
    Sand-Attack
    121esnp.jpg
    Quick Attack
    121esnp.jpg
    Tackle

Last edited:

Yaziyo

Years
  • My normal team's been owning up Pokemon Blue. Since last post I tore through a bunch of rockets in the Game Corner and Saffron. I woke up the two Slorlax blocking the roads and caught both. I kept the one with the better stats and chucked the other one in the PC. I trained him up and went on to fight...

Sabrina!
    This was a bit of a dissapointment, our levels were evently matched and yet I completely ruined Sabrina. Snorlax ruled this battle.
    Kadabra went down with 1 body slam. Mr Mime did the same. I used Earthquake on Venomoth to 1 hit KO it and then the Kazam came in :o Kazam put up the biggest fight after using reflect to make my bodyslams only do a little under half damage. Next turn he used Psybeam, confusing my Snorlax, with like 1hp left after 2 body slams. Third round, Confusion did nothing and we had 1 fainted Alakazam, and another easy badge.

I then went ahead and bought that Porygon I wanted with all the cash from beating buttloads of Rockets.

Current Team
    rbspr137.png

Fit.EXE - Porygon
    Lv 28 (in training)
    Thunderbolt
    Recover
    Conversion
    Psychic

rbspr020.png

Fang - Raticate
    Lv 43
    Hyper Fang (this will go for strength when I do the Safari zone)
    Tail Whip
    Dig
    Super Fang

rbspr036.png

Drag Queen - Clefable
    Lv 42
    Bubblebeam
    Thunder Wave
    Sing
    Ice Beam

rbspr022.png

Gumpy Bird - Fearow
    Lv 42
    Drill Peck
    Mirror Move
    Leer
    Fury Attack

CreditFail - Snorlax
    rbspr143.png

Lv 43
    Headbutt (will be replaced by Surf)
    Earthquake
    Rest
    Body Slam

It looks like this will be my final team. And my HM slave is even a normal. :)
    Farfetch'd - Lv 5
    rbspr083.png

Cut
    Fly

I'm currently getting Fit.EXE up and then will go finish the Safari Zone story, before putting Koga out of business. :D

EDIT: Aw what, Raticate can't learn strength <_<

Last edited:

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Finally picked up silver >.>

Sorry for the delay.

-Aquired Totodile
    -Beat 1st Gym
    -Beat 2nd Gym
    -Traded Drowzee for Machop
    -Beat 3rd Gym

Current team:

gbs066.gif

Machop lv 23

-Seismic Toss
    -Thunderpunch
    -Karate Chop
    -Mud-Slap

Currently heabutting trees for heracross...Seen around 100 pokemon...No heracross >.> Any ideas?

Also...When can I get Tyrogue?

Tony Montana

Say Hello To My Little Friend!
    Years
  • You can get Tyrogue at the end of Mt. Mortar (the Karate King will give it to you after you beat him). Sadly, you need Waterfall.

Mattysaurus

Take it slow, braaah
    Years
  • Update Time.

---Booted Team Rocket out of the Tower.
    ---Trained some and got to Ice Cave.
    ---Got through the cave and arrived in Blackthorn City.
    ---Beat Claire and went into the Dragon's Den.
    ---Got the badge and ExtremeSpeed Dratini.(boxed it lol)
    ---Went to Newbark and got the MasterBall.
    ---Healed up and started towards the EliteFour.

Pokemon Team:

Feraligatr Lv. 35
    -Surf
    -IcePunch
    -HiddenPower(Ground)
    -RainDance

Slowking Lv. 35
    -IcePunch
    -Surf
    -Confusion
    -ShadowBall

Quagsire Lv. 35
    -Surf
    -EarthQuake
    -HeadButt
    -IcePunch

Tentacruel Lv. 35
    -SludgeBomb
    -BubbleBeam
    -Surf
    -WhirlPool

Poliwhirl Lv. 35
    -Surf
    -Hypnosis
    -IcePunch
    -BodySlam

Gyarados Lv. 35
    -Surf
    -Strength
    -Twister
    -DragonRage

That's all for now.

Yaziyo

Years
  • I went crazy again on blue and cleared a bunch of gym leaders in one day...

Current Team
    rbspr137.png

Fit.EXE - Porygon
    Lv 48
    Thunderbolt
    Recover
    Conversion
    Psychic

rbspr020.png

Fang - Raticate
    Lv 46
    Hyper Fang
    Tail Whip
    Dig
    Super Fang

rbspr036.png

Drag Queen - Clefable
    Lv 51
    Bubblebeam
    Thunder Wave
    Strength
    Ice Beam

rbspr022.png

Gumpy Bird - Fearow
    Lv 46
    Drill Peck
    Mirror Move
    Leer
    Razor Wind

rbspr143.png

CreditFail - Snorlax
    Lv 48
    Surf
    Earthquake
    Rest
    Body Slam

That's my final team, which are surprisingly, extremely effective. The last 3 gym leaders were a joke, with Koga going down to Porygon's Psychics, Blaine being penetrated by Clefable's BubbleBeams and Snorlax's earthquakes and Giovanni just getting floored with no effort.

Now onto Victory road and the E4! :O

EDIT: I officially just finished the elite 4, it took a total of 40 minutes to do victory road and the E4, despite me being extremely underleveled. I guess I'll go onto Crystal next.

Last edited:

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Just realised you can catch mankey on Gold..

That has annoyed me...I may end up : "Powerhousing" it through..until I get Tyrogue as I still can't get a heracross >.>

Last edited:

aaronburnsyou

Hi, I'm not a pokemon.
    Years
  • Well after finally getting of my butt and playing more Platinum, I got Fantina's badge, traveled all the way to the Great Marsh, and got two more grass pokemon.

Here's my current team:

Tangela Lv28
    0114Front_m.png

-Poisonpowder
    -Vine Whip
    -Bind
    -Mega Drain

Leafeon Lv29
    0470Front_f.png

-Quick Attack
    -Grass Knot
    -Sand-Attack
    -Synthesis

Carnivine Lv29
    0455Front_m.png

-Vine Whip
    -Sweet Scent
    -Ingrain
    -Faint Attack

Roselia Lv30
    0315Front_f.png

-Grasswhistle
    -Giga Drain
    -Leech Seed
    -Magical Leaf

Torterra Lv35
    0389Front_m.png

-Earthquake
    -Curse
    -Bite
    -Razor Leaf

Next time, I hope to evolve Tangela, because I'm pretty sure it only has about five levels left before Tangrowth.

(Also, I don't exactly know when it happened, but during the last segment, I somehow contracted the Pokerus. It's a shame that I'm not even going for EVs in this run, because it could have been really useful.)

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2011
    Update time!

- Started up crystal, same names as the previous game
    - Picked chikorita as a starter, just so ??? would have typhlosion in the end
    - Caught a phanpy after about 30 minutes of trying
    - Beat Falkner
    - Caught a wooper and shandshrew
    - Beat Bugsy and ???
    - Caught both nidoran genders, evolved them and wooper
    - Beat Whitney

Current Team:
    Phanpy - lv. 21
    Quagsire - lv. 20
    Sandshrew - lv. 20
    Nidorino - lv. 22
    Nidorina - lv. 22

-I'm not bothering posting the moves yet, most of my pokemon don't know any good ones yet.
    - I know I can get at least one moonstone before going into Kanto, but I've heard that mom buys one after a certain amount of money is saved. If that's true, does anyone know how much that is?

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2010
    okay im going to tart this over again but this time i will go with water :) maybe this time a can get through it

Tony Montana

Say Hello To My Little Friend!
    Years
  • Update time!

- Started up crystal, same names as the previous game
    - Picked chikorita as a starter, just so ??? would have typhlosion in the end
    - Caught a phanpy after about 30 minutes of trying
    - Beat Falkner
    - Caught a wooper and shandshrew
    - Beat Bugsy and ???
    - Caught both nidoran genders, evolved them and wooper
    - Beat Whitney

Current Team:
    Phanpy - lv. 21
    Quagsire - lv. 20
    Sandshrew - lv. 20
    Nidorino - lv. 22
    Nidorina - lv. 22

-I'm not bothering posting the moves yet, most of my pokemon don't know any good ones yet.
    - I know I can get at least one moonstone before going into Kanto, but I've heard that mom buys one after a certain amount of money is saved. If that's true, does anyone know how much that is?

I really dont remember, but once you get surf go to tohjo falls and there is a moon stone you can reach w/o waterfall.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • Decided to join the challenge.
    ...What about Normal type? *evil smiles*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back