• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Umm.. Uhh.. Just.. Well.. You see...

Years
  • I used to be a massive bullet pointer. Every time I had to prepare some sort of speech or presentation I would bullet point every single thing I was going to say.
    Since starting uni though I've had to learn to improvise, partially because I constantly miss hearing about assignments and I have to wing what I'm talking about, but mostly because my course demands it. In most of my classes I will be given a topic at the start of the lesson and will have to read up on it, make a presentation and then present it to the entire class in the space of about an hour and a half.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • If I have something to read off of, I'll stumble over every word. If I can just improvise, I can fib certain things as to bridge the gaps in my words.

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    Improv all the way, as long as I know what I'm talking about. If you're an improviser, it means you've learned and understood your subject.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I just have a general bullet list of stuff I want to cover... this method allows me to make sure my points get across, while leaving me the flexibility to improvise and add in items if the conversation heads off in various tangents and I need to add it in.

Sticking to a rehearsed script is something I'm terrible at.

Crux

Evermore
    Years
  • I prefer improv to writing it out,whenever I try to write it first is when I use words like "uh,um,yeah,but,but yeah,etc" because I usually forget what I wrote!
    And I really dislike taking notes with me. :l

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I have great admiration for those who can think on their feet and can improvise a massive speech or a stand-up routine or something similar. For me, I need at least a little bit of rehearsing before I can even do anything in front of a crowd of people. Even if they're my friends or people who I know won't judge me, I still feel the need to have a modicum of preparation before doing any public speaking. I just need the security of having something to work from.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I prefer to memorize speeches instead of having to read them (I'm dyslexic so that causes some problems when I have to read out loud). :T

Even if it isn't something like a speech, I tend to plan what I say if it's important to me. Though I don't always stick to it. I'm not as quick to just spurt out whatever I want to say; I end up looking stupid. u_u"

Fuyuki~

Banned
    Years
  • Yes and no. When I do presentations I don't have a written script that I practice, but I make the slideshow and look at it as I go explaining each slide without having rehearsed it or even looked at it for a few days. I'm good at winging stuff like this and just reading and explaining stuff.

There are some in-class debate things too and I'm usually able to make my arguments without having any script of any sort.

Back