• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Umm.. Uhh.. Just.. Well.. You see...

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
  • When speaking, do you prefer to have a written, prepared speech, a point-form list, or making up your argument as you go?

Guess I may as well expand the question a bit: Are you good at thinking on your feet, or do you always think of what you're going to say before saying it?

Khawill

<3
    Years
  • Improvision is my strongest point when it comes to talking, (actually I can't follow a plan for the life of me, so this applies to how I live). Though nobody is good at giving speeches without some sort of organized list or written script, well nobody who should be giving important speeches. The reason being is that every time someone says "um, like, uh, and" or pauses frequently sounds like a knife through my ears (it also makes you sound like you don't know what you are saying) and the easiest way to prevent this is by writing it out.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • As long as I the content of a speech then I'm fine if I need to walk up without any notes. However I suppose that's not really improvising then. If I know the topic really well though, then I don't even need to "prepare" and think about it in advance and I can talk about it with a lot of ease.

Supposedly I have a tendency to sneak in "Well..." in front of my sentence with or without preparations before hand though. It's just a natural part of my speech patterns.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I don't really like improvising if it involves speaking. :( Even when I have to leave a message on an answering machine, I'll usually hang up, write down point form for what I have to say, and call back to leave the message.

I haven't had to give a speech or presentation or anything in a long time but when I do, I usually totally memorize everything I have to say and if not, I have to bring notes up with me so I can look down and check them if I forget what I'm saying.

I am pretty good at improvising when I have to, I just don't really like to leave it up to that.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I always need to have a guide when speaking for presentations and such. It's an absolute must. If I go up in front of the class without any preparations, I won't know what to say. I almost always go blank and stutter with lack of pointers. I always have queue cards or a piece of small paper with speaking pointers in hand and will keep referring to them from time to time. And yes, I need to think before saying things. Being spontaneous is not easy for me..

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I can't improvise unprepared, like answering machine message (to use Lightning's example). I'm not a particularly spontaneous person.

But, if I'm well versed in something I can improvise. That kinda shows that you know what you're talking about

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I like to prepare a written speech and refer to it when I need to. If I not allowed to use a paper, then I'll stuff as many points as I neatly can on notecards. Written notes help me cut down on saying uh, um, and like like like like. I also have the memory of a potato when I stand in front of the class, regardless if I'm presenting or simply introducing myself, haha. I like to think about every word I say before I say it.

...And then I learned later in life that it's not quite about what you say, but how you say it and present yourself. -_-;

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
    Years
  • well, it depends on the situation, ya know. Usually first thing on my mind if I'm around family or friends; basically in an environment where I feel most comfortable.

But...if it's something that's usually important; like a project. Also, things this that are unexpecting or forthcoming. I usually halfta think it over.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I have to think about what I'm going to say before I say it. I always have a list of things that I want to say to someone. I'm only good at replying on my feet with a sharp tongue. Regular conversations with me tend to involve a lot of awkward silence, because I'm trying to form what I'd like to say in my head before I say it out loud so it makes the most sense, but even then if I think for too long and have an entire script planned out, I tend to stutter over my words. Maybe I'm just socially awkward.

Years
  • I am very good at improvising! :3
    I use to do drama and acting, so it just came very easily for me, as well as being involved in many meetings at University and having to speak in front of a lot of people, it doesn't affect me, so I can speak easily and improvise just as.​

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think of what I'm going to say up to a great point, but then when I have used up all I've thought about, I improvise like crazy. I try to talk up whatever I'm doing as a way to bide time/etc but ya. I'm also fine with speeches, lists not so much because boring and involve effort to put them into dot points. ;( Funnily enough the fear of not being able to improvise makes me not want to get into radio presenting and rather the other side of journalism.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
    Years
  • I don't know tbh

i hate when i'm serious and don't find strong words to say..then i feel silly tbh and all the seriousness gone with wind! :|

whenever i'm in a really good mood and nothing busy my mind or in a challenge i do improvise well..other than that i say silly stuff comes out from the silly zone in my mind....sometimes i just say things and when i remember em i feel WTF were i talking about there!!!! o.O

i think i leave it to come as it rains i don't really care much about that.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Unless it's a really formal speech, I almost always speak impromptu. I don't know why but it works for me the most. If I do have to prepare a speech, I prepare it on the day of the speech itself since, well, I feel more comfortable that way (unless, again, it's a really formal speech).

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I always need to write it out, or at least have a little critical thinking session before I say something. Even in everyday conversations. If you're hanging out with me offline and there's interactions involved, I can pretty much guarantee that there will be awkward silences shared between us. During that time, I will be thinking long and hard about what it is I should say. Unless I said something. Then I'll either be criticizing you in a complaining sort of way to myself for not saying anything to me or I'll be asking myself why you aren't saying anything.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I suck so bad at improvising and thinking on my feet. It's terrible, I'm one of those people who thinks of the perfect thing to say an hour after an argument.

However, if you give me time and a pen, I will move the earth.

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    I prefer to have prepared speech, but I'm absolutely terrible at memorizing things -- if you have to memorize it, that is. But improvising is my thing.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I can't improvise for the life of me, so having an already prepared speech is what I always use when presenting to a group of people. On rare occasions I'd put dot points down, but I prefer to have most of my information written down. I'm pretty good with presenting myself in front of groups of people (making speeches, presenting work/presentations etc.), but I'd rather be safe than sorry, since my nerves sometimes get the best of me.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I'm quite poor at speaking due to the bradyphrenia that I have, so I'd usually prefer it if a speech was made instead. I could think at what I'm gonna say, but I'd spend far too long on that, and if I say something immediately, it usually comes out gibberish.

Back