• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Under age smoking

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I, personally frown upon people who smoke, and especially people who are underage and also smoke. Back when I went to school, I would get dropped off at the nearby delicatessen and walk from there. I would see people smoking while I was walking, and these people are maybe 14 years old, and I just find it disgusting. Whenever I see underage smokers I think "Why the hell are you even smoking?" Being underage and smoking doesn't make you cool, or hip. It just means you're potentially bringing your life to an end like, maybe 20-30 years before their time should end.

On the topic of being "hip", this is with anything that young people shouldn't be doing, like underage smoking, drinking etc. I don't personally know anyone who is underage and also smokes, and am glad about that fact.

tl;dr It's disgusting and just bringing on a potential early death.

There's my rant about what I feel.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Oh, you want to know my honest opinion? If you started smoking underage with the knowledge that you're not supposed to smoke you probably don't have the mental capacity to remain in the gene pool. In fact, anybody who smokes probably doesn't have the right mentality for a clean gene pool. And to me smoking is overall completely sickening and intolerable. Sue me.

The nail? You hit it on the head.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Never have had a puff off a cigarette in my life.

But I know a lot of under aged smokers and it just makes me sad.

I think people shouldn't smoke period, but for your question, I don't think there should be under aged smokers. There's obviously a reason why there's an age limit on it.

Years
    Oh, you want to know my honest opinion? If you started smoking underage with the knowledge that you're not supposed to smoke you probably don't have the mental capacity to remain in the gene pool. In fact, anybody who smokes probably doesn't have the right mentality for a clean gene pool. And to me smoking is overall completely sickening and intolerable. Sue me.

Woh, that is a harsh post.

Who are you to say anyone who smokes doesn't have the mentality for a clean gene pool? That has offended me since I am an ex-smoker. That is your opinion and I respect that, but to go that far is out of line.

I don't agree with under-age smoking, because I don't understand why children would smoke. I started smoking due to stress and it calming me down as I was going through a very rough patch in my life.
    You say 'sue me' but I am sure there is something you have done wrong in your life but I am sure someone hasn't judged you as harshly as you have just done to the smoking population.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    My thoughts on underage smokers are the same as my thoughts of smokers in general. Smoking ~starts~ as a choice, and I feel that choosing to smoke is one of the worst choices you can make in your life. Simple as that. It's their prerogative, however, if they want to do that to their body.

Years
    I'd personally have to agree. I immediately feel the effects of smoking from second hand smoke. If someone is smoking like even 8-9 feet away from me or in another room or had a cig in the car 2 hours before I get in, I can still feel it. It makes my eyes water, makes me cough, and sometimes makes me throw up.
    I have a similar reaction. It's particularly awful where I work sometimes because I have to deal with people, some of whom smell like they showered in ash and give off the most nauseating smells.

While I don't usually care if someone wants to smoke (unless it's someone I care about) I do care that smoking affects me and potentially many other people who have bad reactions. I can't say I feel more strongly about underage smoking than of-age smoking though. In my experience age doesn't change how inconsiderate many smokers are. Nobody has the right to walk around exposing other people to their personal pollution cloud.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
    With underaged smoking, I really have no opinions. Sure I don't reccomend it, but like said, It all comes down to choices people make. If they want to smoke when they are say, 15, then let them be; however, they'd have to understand the consequences of their actions; like how smoking affects the cardiovascular system, how can it affects those who are around you, etc. I personally don't understand the point of smoking; you would spend your money to buy a couple of ciggarettes, and smoke. That's all it is to me.

I can only speak for myself on why I think there is no reason to smoke; but maybe under-aged people smoke because they saw it on T.V. so they want to look cool in front of their viewers, or maybe they undergo stress so they believe that smoking relaxes them and tries to stimulate their mind on relaxing themselves; or maybe they smoke to try and feel more alert then they feel dull.

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen today
    My grandfather died 6 years ago of cancer due to smoking but how i see it is im killing my self and not no one else.If i was to buy kids cigs i would be helpin them kill them selfs.

I see that you haven't thought of the negative externalities on everyone:

Passive Smoking affects those near you, and even though you might not develop cancer, others may.

If you do develop cancer, drains your money and others need to treat you, which is a bit of a drain on resources which could be used for other things that need it (for example, hospital places, or visiting doctors. People may argue this may not affect much, and in Private Healthcare, it doesn't as much as Public Healthcare, but the resources of time and the doctor could be placed elsewhere like those who are literally on deaths door for something beyond their control)

Anyway, that aside, my opinion on underage smoking (and on smoking in general) is don't do it, you are affecting yourself and those around you. It is even worse if you are underage as you will affect yourself and others even longer (or even shorter if you die "prematurely")

Garde

Fallen Angel
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2015
    My thoughts on underage smokers are the same as my thoughts of smokers in general. Smoking ~starts~ as a choice, and I feel that choosing to smoke is one of the worst choices you can make in your life. Simple as that. It's their prerogative, however, if they want to do that to their body.

Pretty much what he said. To be frank, I hate smoking overall and would be happy if it was abolished. One of my best friends had started smoking in middle school and as time went on opened the gateway to other things. Other people I know and love have gotten lung cancer and a fire in the shed because of stupid mistakes.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    There's an Italian proverb that goes, it is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep.
    Smoking is a lifestyle choice like any other, and like most lifestyle choices it doesn't necessarily affect anybody else. I did once have a prepubescent approach me and ask me for a light, something I don't carry since I don't smoke myself, but I didn't think much of it. It seemed strange since it's rare to see such people doing such things, but it didn't occur to me as morally objectionable. Something I've come to understand in life is that we all have reasons for what we do at any given moment, our decisions in life, how we meet our ends. Smoking is just another path and age makes no difference; we will all die.

Those are strange comments to see in our supposed age of tolerance.
    But this isn't truly an age of tolerance; we're encouraged to abhor the last generation's vices while we gain our own...

Years
    Smoking in general is just a stupid thing to do, no matter what the age. All your accomplishing by smoking is destroying your own body. It doesn't make you look cool or anything, it makes you look dumb actually.

otaku-dono

Merkabah
    Years
    I really don't think your age has any bearing on smoking effects. I really do have to question the intelligence of people who pay to kill themselves though.

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
    Years
    I've never understood the appeal in smoking, quite frankly. There's a lot of crap in it that does a lot of really, well, crappy things to your body. What do you get out of it that outweighs harming both yourself and those around you? Plus, it's a horrendously expensive habit. I just don't get it.

I'm not about to go out and try to make smoking illegal, but I don't approve of it either and would absolutely love it if people stopped smoking all together. If someone wants to smoke so bad, though, then I guess they can, but they should truly understand what their decision to smoke entails. There's just a lot of stupid kids out there that dive into it ignorantly and end up screwing themselves up.

Who even thinks smoking is cool nowadays?

Flame Claw

Flaminator
    Years
    I've never smoked in my life, but as far as I'm concerned if people want to smoke then that's up to them, regardless of age. If they get ill from it in this day and age where we know it's unhealthy, that's their problem.

Years
    I started smoking when I was 18, I wasn't forced into it, I wasn't doing to look cool, it was just what I wanted to do so I decided to do it.

Massacre.

sky's on fire again
    Years

That's part of what I think, AK. Smoking is a sick, addicting, and unhealthy way to do things when you're rather bored and have nothing to do. If they're underage and smoking, that's a different story. When underage, they are not legally allowed to buy cigarettes, but adults selling it to minors is how they get a hold of it. When they do, they are ruining their health and social life, because it's more dangerous and addicting than legal-age smoking. And if you ask me, ALL types of smoking should be made illegal.

Now goodbye.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    A lot of my cousins started smoking at around 14 (around the time they started high school). It's really tough to tell them what might happen to their health in the future, but I'd rather just leave them alone. I am highly against underage smoking. I never tried smoking and never will. It's easy to get into the habit, but harder to get out of.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    The way I view it, can be summed up with this:

Why would you to start something that's highly addictive, and shortens your life span?
    You'd think people would value their lives more than that.

Maybe I'm touchy because nearly everyone in family has died from smoking-induced cancers, but really. :/

If you're a full grown adult, over the age of 18, ( or heck, over the age of 20) know what you're starting for yourself, and choose to smoke then so be it. Yet, why on earth would a child want to smoke cigarettes? Doing it because it's cool to their group of friends, that they may not even have five years down the line is not a good reason. If kids start smoking when they're 11 / 12 /13 / what have you, then I hope for their sake that they can stop after a certain point. I really do. x_o

Back