• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated series

Halfwit

Super Monk
Years
  • I don't watch much animé at all, so manga it shall be.

Apologies in advance: i'm going to mention Deadman Wonderland here D:
    it is fangirl magnet-y now I look back, so technically I should classify it as guilty pleasure, but I don't care. I just love it xD
    it's classified as somewhere between shounen and seinen.. that's my excuse.
    The plot is beautifully weird [a 14 year old boy is accused of murder and sent to a prison where the inmates participate in shows for the public, and there are those with the power to control their own blood in elaborate ways who are locked beneath the prison itself.. etc].
    Only it gets weirder. Of course.

The characters are.. interesting, from a pudding-loving albino crazy girl in mittens to a flamboyant monk whose weapon of choice is a flying v guitar which doubles as a gattling gun [-pokes avatar-].
    Plus it swerves from endearing to violent to downright insane at any chance it gets. Ah, I love it.

I heard they were making an animé of it, but since I've heard no more of this, it looks like it was probably a false alarm. Sob.
    I'm guessing bits of it would have to be toned down anyway, particularly where Hummingbird is concerned oO
    ah well. it's set for an english manga release in february, so I shall be snapping it up then.

Seriously, it's the best manga to read if you happen to like stories about prisons which are also carnivals.

Last edited:

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • This is completely imo. I think Case Closed/Detective Conan is underrated in America.

xXI JOE IXx

Clannad, its a great, emotional show that should be talked about more :3

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Clannad, its a great, emotional show that should be talked about more :3
    If you liked Clannad, you should also check out Kanon; both anime are based on visual novels of the same names by a company called Key. Specifically, I recommend watching the 2006 airing of Kanon done by Kyoto Animation; it's much better than the Toei version.

Makoto's arc is so sad. ;_; Auuu.

And I agree that they're underrated, but probably not how you meant it. They're pretty well-known (especially Clannad), but I tend to notice a lot of people hating on Kanon and Clannad for various reasons, even though I think they're both great works.

Finnel

Years
  • If you liked Clannad, you should also check out Kanon; both anime are based on visual novels of the same names by a company called Key. Specifically, I recommend watching the 2006 airing of Kanon done by Kyoto Animation; it's much better than the Toei version.

Makoto's arc is so sad. ;_; Auuu.
    Air is infinitely better than Kanon and even beats CLANNAD in some areas, the only one of Key's work (that I've read) that beats Air is Planetarian. Hopefully we'll get a movie or OVA for Planetarian.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Air is infinitely better than Kanon and even beats CLANNAD in some areas, the only one of Key's work (that I've read) that beats Air is Planetarian. Hopefully we'll get a movie or OVA for Planetarian.
    I didn't like AIR. Granted, I only gave it one episode, but I couldn't connect with the main character at all.

Also, thanks for implying that Kanon is bad, despite me already saying it's one of my favorite works. :'( Your mom's infinitely better than your face. Or something.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Kimi no Todoke just came out and it's bound to be overlooked :<

But it is really good.

Finnel

Years
  • Also, thanks for implying that Kanon is bad, despite me already saying it's one of my favorite works. :'( Your mom's infinitely better than your face. Or something.
    I don't recall you ever saying it was one of your favorites, all I can find is you saying you think it's great. Neither did I imply Kanon's bad, I just implied that the other works I mentioned are much better. Kanon is good, CLANNAD is amazing, Air is beautiful and Planetarian is a masterpiece.

I did not mean to offend you, my apologies if you took it personally.

Last edited:

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • Doubt Saki's underrated.
    Almost all female cast, underlying yuri, mahjong with special powers... what not to like?

Though I did hear that mahjong is generally considered to be an "old people's game" in the States.
    Could this be it?
    It is because of the underlying yuri themes and the game mahjong that Saki is an underrated series.

How can I forget this? Ginban Kaleidoscope. Totally, people should watch this anime.

Zenkovi

Class B Team Rocket Agent
    Years
  • Yu Yu Hakusho. It has an interesting plot filled with drama and suspense, a well developed and likable cast of characters, battles that will keep one on the edge of his or her seat, and a good amount of comedy. Alas, it does not have a huge fan following.

Back