• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated series

yvette

Heyyyyyyy
Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    Envy II said:
    Personally I'm not a big fan of either of them. REBORN! isn't really anything special. Not saying that it isn't worth a watch, but in between the arcs it's filled with filler... Or actually I don't know. It's hard to tell between filler and canon in REBORN!

It probably isn't, but for the sake of your eyes, just don't read the first few chapters of the manga. D: The content foreshadows stuff, but really... Amano's (and her staff's?) drawing improved a lot during the Varia and Millefiore/TYL Arc. I liked the Varia Arc's a lot compared to the TYL Arc though. TYL Arc's art is pretty (I guess most girls would say that) but there aren't a lot of definite/solid lines, at least, none that I can see.

jasonresno said:
    Air Gear is incredible though, I admit, the conclusion wasn't entirely satisfying. It's a more mature yet completely accessible anime with a great art style, great voice actors, and an incredible score. Definitely rec. checking it out. It's only 20 something eps long but it's wildly entertaining the whole way through.

And If they continued it... wonder how it would turn out moar Kaito plz. If anyone is looking for more stuff by Oh! great and you don't mind excessive blood, gore or nudity (it's an M-rated manga, yes), check out Tenjou Tenge. Yeah, I don't like some parts, but it's pretty interesting overall, especially the Flashback Arc (with Shin).

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • It probably isn't, but for the sake of your eyes, just don't read the first few chapters of the manga. D: The content foreshadows stuff, but really... Amano's (and her staff's?) drawing improved a lot during the Varia and Millefiore/TYL Arc. I liked the Varia Arc's a lot compared to the TYL Arc though. TYL Arc's art is pretty (I guess most girls would say that) but there aren't a lot of definite/solid lines, at least, none that I can see.

And If they continued it... wonder how it would turn out moar Kaito plz. If anyone is looking for more stuff by Oh! great and you don't mind excessive blood, gore or nudity (it's an M-rated manga, yes), check out Tenjou Tenge. Yeah, I don't like some parts, but it's pretty interesting overall, especially the Flashback Arc (with Shin).

I'm a huge Kazu/Ikki/Agito fan. I heard they might be making a season 2. Which would be ammaazzzing.

Most stuff by Oh! Great seems pretty legit. I might check it out.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • It probably isn't, but for the sake of your eyes, just don't read the first few chapters of the manga. D: The content foreshadows stuff, but really... Amano's (and her staff's?) drawing improved a lot during the Varia and Millefiore/TYL Arc. I liked the Varia Arc's a lot compared to the TYL Arc though. TYL Arc's art is pretty (I guess most girls would say that) but there aren't a lot of definite/solid lines, at least, none that I can see.
    I'm pretty sure you could read like... the first 10 chapters, and then skip ahead to the Rokudo Mukuro arc since very little is of much use in the first 50 chapters or so. XD I watched the Varia arc and have been reading the TYL arc though, so I can't make art comparisons though.

One of the more underrated romance anime, I think, is the ef - a tale of memories series. What I enjoyed the most about it was the unique art style and beautiful music, and the plot was pretty solid and touching. It might not be as underrated as I think though, but I rarely see it talked about.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Almost everyone knows Fullmetal Alchemist, but another work by the same mangaka, Arakawa Hiromu, is really underrated. Juushin Enbu, as it's called, or "Hero Tales", is currently in serialization, so it's not complete yet. It deals with similar issues than Fullmetal Alchemist, but it has a totally different setting and a very different cast of characters. I've read eleven chapters of it so far, the eleven that have been translated, and I really like it a lot.

The way I originally found it tells a lot about how known it is... You see, I found it in a second-hand manga shop in Japan =D It caught my eye, I bought it and liked it, so I searched for any scanlations of it in the internet... Honestly, it's a really good manga.

I agree that Nodame Cantabile isn't underrated, because I've seen only good comments about it. It's a bit less known, though, and that's a real pity... I especially like the way it promotes classical music. I don't feel like such a nerd anymore for playing classical music myself xD

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I lol'd hard at this post because it listed only popular anime. Seriously, if I was stupid I would have sent that post to all my friends and we'd get together and laugh at it.
    I've never seen anyone watch those shows I've listed. It's all a matter of where you live, I suppose, and which people are addicted to anime.

Last edited:

Lily!

moved
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2010
    I don't watch much anime, but as far as underrated goes, I think Jungle wa Itsumo Haré nochi Guu (Haré+Guu) fits the bill. It's pretty crazy, and I think it has a unique art style. It has a type of humor that you either love or hate. As far as I know, this anime is often overlooked or unheard of, although my opinion may be biased; I'm quite drawn to bizzare things.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I've never seen anyone watch those shows I've listed. It's all a matter of where you live, I suppose, and which people are addicted to anime.

You've never seen anyone watch or like FLCL?

Are you serious? All of my friends know and like it. As I said it came on Adult Swim. It is very far from underrated.

Bay

Years
  • You've never seen anyone watch or like FLCL?

Are you serious? All of my friends know and like it. As I said it came on Adult Swim. It is very far from underrated.
    Actually, I never heard or seen FLCL before either until one of my friends told me about it. Even though I considered FLCL not underrated due to hearing it all over the place, some people might consider FLCL underrated if they don't have Adult Swim (which I don't and I think many people here don't either), someone hasn't tell them yet, or they haven't really gone through websites/forums that mentions that anime. Happens. Once they hear about the show however, they'll realize it already has a following and such.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • I find that the original Zoids that aired on Cartoon Network with Bit Cloud and Leena was a very underrated (short, like, 31 episodes or something?) series. I LOVED it. It was fantastic, IMO, but maybe I was just oddly addicted to the large variety of giant fighting robot animoids. XD It was particularly good for an anime of the 90s and no fillers-that's always a plus!

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Has anyone mentioned Shounen Onmyouji yet? Maybe it's pretty much unknown because it has an Eastern feeling to it that can't be Westernised.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I'll repeat what I said in the other thread here. I think Kanon (KyoAni version especially) is underrated. A lot of people like it, sure, but I'd say there are equally as many (or more) who seem to hate it for some odd reason. I think it was a masterpiece; you'd have to be soulless to not cry your heart out at the conclusion of Makoto's arc.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I just finished watching Kimikiss ~pure rouge. Very few of my friends have seen it although I thought it was one of the better romance animes I've seen. Ditto with Lamune and To Heart, though the last one might be a bit more well-known.

KUROXFAI

in ure brain
    Years
  • manga - (just a few that i no) Tokaido Hisame, X-1999, Kobato, Vampire Knight, Record of a fallen vampire,
    anime- Horitsuba Gakuen, xxxHolic, (just to name 2)

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • I just finished watching Kimikiss ~pure rouge. Very few of my friends have seen it although I thought it was one of the better romance animes I've seen.
    The Kimikiss game was too amazing, I guess.
    God forbid they make an Amagami game...

Oh, Saki is underrated. Maybe because most people stay out of it because of it's genre?
    Doubt Saki's underrated.
    Almost all female cast, underlying yuri, mahjong with special powers... what not to like?

Though I did hear that mahjong is generally considered to be an "old people's game" in the States.
    Could this be it?

twocows

Years
  • Though I did hear that mahjong is generally considered to be an "old people's game" in the States.
    I don't think people think of it that way. Actually, I don't think people really think about it at all. I think the last time I even saw Mahjong mentioned outside of a discussion regarding Japanese stuff was when a friend and I were talking about the "Best of Entertainment '95" games disk for Windows 95. Which, for the record, had some really good stuff on it; Chip's Challenge was awesome, and so was Ski-Free.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • Cromartie High School and Paranoia Agent... Though I think I prefer that they remain obscure.

twocows

Years
  • Cromartie High School and Paranoia Agent... Though I think I prefer that they remain obscure.
    That seems a bit selfish. I make sure to advertise my favorite series every chance I get. More popularity means more money in the creators' pockets, for starters; also, there's the chance that they'll like the series as much as I did. It's a win-win.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • That seems a bit selfish. I make sure to advertise my favorite series every chance I get. More popularity means more money in the creators' pockets, for starters; also, there's the chance that they'll like the series as much as I did. It's a win-win.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I guess I just fear the amount of infamy a series can get when it grows a large fandom.

Back