• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated series

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
Years
  • Zombie-Loan :)

I just made a thread about it actually. It's a pretty good Anime. Only 11 episodes and 2 DVDs though.

Taichi

The Keyblader of The Future
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    Gurren Lagann.

It surprises me that everyone has seen DBZ, Bleach, Naruto, etc. Yet none of those peole have seen Gurren Lagann, which is immensely better than the latter two. (I love DBZ forever though. lol)

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Gurren Lagann.

It surprises me that everyone has seen DBZ, Bleach, Naruto, etc. Yet none of those peole have seen Gurren Lagann, which is immensely better than the latter two. (I love DBZ forever though. lol)
    I think Gurren Lagann is about as far from underrated as you can get. It's really popular, and it even aired on American television. As for the content, it's almost like it's a parody of itself, which is kind of neat. I'm not really into the genre, so I stopped watching after a few episodes, but what I saw was pretty good.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Hajime no ippo, enough said.
    Quite possibly the only sports anime that I like watching.
    It has character development, an actual plot, and a real good art style.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    FLCL, Black Blood Brothers, Ninja Nonsense. . These aren't anime that most people know of/seen before. Black Cat, Burst Angel, MAR, and Hikaru no Go as well.​

yvette

Heyyyyyyy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    I love how someone mentioned Saint Young Men. It's awesome. Same with GetBackers.

My personal favourites (that are underrated and unpopular) include Until Death Do Us Part, Air Gear (one can disagree with me there), Gokusen, Angel Densetsu (pretty hilarious), Black Lagoon and Dogs: Bullets & Carnage.

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
  • LAWOFUEKI.png

I can't link you directly, but I can tell you to go to Manga Fox or wherever you go to read Manga, and look up Law of Ueki.

Last edited:

twocows

Years
  • Click the image, or give me your face.
    PICK ONE!
    LAWOFUEKI.png

You know you wanna read it, come on, click the picture. Go read it, you'll enjoy it. It has wicked awesome fight scenes. You won't regret it. Click it. Come on. Please?
    I clicked on the picture and nothing happened. Is this the secret Magikarp anime I've been holding out for?

devilicious

dream
    Years
  • Uh, not exactly underrated (since anyone who watches it loves it), but since no one watched it, it's more like "unknown": Dennou Coil.

If may add, Hidamari Sketch as well. And seconding Princess Tutu. And seconding Kure-nai as well. Oh, and also Kaiji.

FLCL, Black Blood Brothers, Ninja Nonsense. . These aren't anime that most people know of/seen before. Black Cat, Burst Angel, MAR, and Hikaru no Go as well.​

I lol'd hard at this post because it listed only popular anime. Seriously, if I was stupid I would have sent that post to all my friends and we'd get together and laugh at it.

Spinni

Larvitar #1
    Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Umineko no Naku Koro ni :D

It's a really great anime..if you can stand all the murdering XD

twocows

Years
  • Umineko no Naku Koro ni :D

It's a really great anime..if you can stand all the murdering XD
    The game is superior, though I wasn't a fan of Witch-hunt's translation work. It was tolerable, but barely.

Rainflower

분홍신
    Years
  • Saber Marionette J - why, it saddens me that very few people know this series ;o;
    Katekyo Hitman Reborn - a lot of people watch/read bleach, naruto, gintama, one piece.. but no one really knows about this one Shonen Jump franchise?
    The Count of Monte Cristo - sort of a sciencefiction-gothic anime. the artwork is very amazing, yet it's still underrated.
    Nodame Cantabile - enough with the stereotypical magical girl and harem shoujo anime. why not classical music and orchestra anime instead? this one's much better than La Corda D'Oro.

twocows

Years
  • Saber Marionette J - why, it saddens me that very few people know this series ;o;
    Katekyo Hitman Reborn - a lot of people watch/read bleach, naruto, gintama, one piece.. but no one really knows about this one Shonen Jump franchise?
    The Count of Monte Cristo - sort of a sciencefiction-gothic anime. the artwork is very amazing, yet it's still underrated.
    Nodame Cantabile - enough with the stereotypical magical girl and harem shoujo anime. why not classical music and orchestra anime instead? this one's much better than La Corda D'Oro.
    Spoiler:

You best not be dissing magical girl anime.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Katekyo Hitman Reborn - a lot of people watch/read bleach, naruto, gintama, one piece.. but no one really knows about this one Shonen Jump franchise?

Actually it's quite popular here on the internet from what I've seen. I find it funny that you mentioned Gintama there. It's another anime much like REBORN! that you'd never know it existed if it weren't for it's internet fanbase.

Personally I'm not a big fan of either of them. REBORN! isn't really anything special. Not saying that it isn't worth a watch, but in between the arcs it's filled with filler... Or actually I don't know. It's hard to tell between filler and canon in REBORN!

Gintama's just comedy. Hit or miss comedy IMO, so I haven't really been able to get into it like everybody else.

But maybe you're right, REBORN! really shouldn't be the outcast here, I'd say that it's quite a bit better than Naruto, and maybe Bleach.

What? Why can't we like them both. I actually personally prefer La Corda D'Oro by just a bit... But they're both good.

Besides I wouldn't call Nodame Cantabile underrated. It's liked among those that have seen/read it. I'd be more inclined to call it more obscure. The anime hasn't even been brought to America. =(

.Busou Kihaku.

私は神で取る!
    Years
  • I can think of Baki the Grappler, Hajime No Ippo and Yu Yu Hakusho. These are the ones worth of talk, i haven't seen anybody talk about it on the net.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • One of the anime I find underrated is Saiunkoku Monogatari.
    A Reverse Harem Shoujo Anime at first sight, a very good Shoujo Anime at second.
    Atypical Heroine, Kou Shuurei tries to find her way Saiunkoku's political world, ruled by men. Yes, many of the guys like/love her, but she rejects them all. 8D Which is part of her charm, really... and Ryuuki's attempts at getting closer to her are hilarious at times...
    But that's not all there is to it. Based on the unfinished series of light-novels by Sai Yukino, this Anime has a very strong cast. Each character is well rounded, has their past, their reason to act the way they act and more. :3
    Yes, yes, I love this (so far) two seasons counting (2x39 episodes) anime.
    Too bad the fandom is so small. D: Maybe the novels might be translated then...

Another anime/manga is Candidate for Goddess by Yukiru Sugisaki (DN Angel's Author). It's unfinished (*cries*) but it's very good for a Mecha series... i don't like Mecha, I seriously don't. But the cast was very good... And I really want to know how it ends. DX

Let's see, what else...
    Oh, yes.

Pretear is a shoujo (magical shoujo), but a very good one. Not too sweet, and a strong story line. With only 13 episodes, it's not too long and void of filler episodes. =)

I don't know if it's underrated, but I haven't heard much of this series: Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Sacred Spirit)
    It's very good with a very special artstyle... and backgrounds are amazing. o3o
    Very nice story as well. ^_^

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Black Cat, Hunter X Hunter, Zatch Bell, Baki the Grappler, Sousei no Aquarion (Though I don't really like that show...) and Kodocha, I love all of those shows, but they're very underatted...so watch them :). Oh and Law of Ueki, that anime/manga is freaken awesome but way too underatted.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • Air Gear is incredible though, I admit, the conclusion wasn't entirely satisfying. It's a more mature yet completely accessible anime with a great art style, great voice actors, and an incredible score. Definitely rec. checking it out. It's only 20 something eps long but it's wildly entertaining the whole way through.

Back