• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Unova Gym Leaders Discussion

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
  • Talk about the gym leaders of Unova, whether it be Favorite Gym Leader, Hardest Gym Leader, Easiest Gym Leader, etc...

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • The only one who realy gave me a hard time was iris because of her dragon dance. Most of them were dissapointingly easy because I trained on every trainer I could find before fighting the next towns gym.

The flying town with the airport is a brilliant idea for a town theme but the town itself is too small with not much to do. Should've had a gym like that in sinnoh where you had awesome guys like staraptorand togekiss. Swanna andswoobat which are the ones I knew she had haven't the greatest stats and typing.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Elesa was a hassle for me because of her Emolga's Static. She's still a cool person and her roller coaster gym is awesome, but Static always has me seeing red.

Most of the other Gym Leaders were pushovers, despite not having access to Ice Beam to take on Iris (I got lucky with Blizzard actually hitting xD)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I was surprised when I was able to sweep Drayden without his Pokemon landing a single hit against mine (Archeops OHKOed his Fraxure with Acrobatics; my Fraxure OHKOed Druddigon with Dragon Claw and Samurott OHKOed Haxorus with a lucky Blizzard). Guess EV training really pays off.

PL50

I hate legendaries
    Years
  • ......Elesa........and her......Squirrels.......

EMOLGA USED VOLT SWITCH!
    EMOLGA USED VOLT SWITCH!
    EMOLGA USED VOLT SWITCH!
    EMOLGA USED VOLT SWITCH!

D: I trained my herdier to top percentage (no rattata related) just to beat her T_T"

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • the electric type gym leader was hard for me because her emolga kept using double team and i kept missing.

the easiest gyms for me were the very first one and the normal type gym leader ( i forget the leaders names).

moonlightning

Bird Of Thunder
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2019
    I found them all pretty easy the only gym where things could get tricky is the first one if you get unlucky with some Cheer Up spam. I enjoyed the gyms but the low numbers of Pokemon on their teams annoyed me.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • Gym Leaders that I faced except Lenora all felt like plain old regular trainers. I always sweeped through their team without even switching out or getting hit (except Brycen, because my Conkeldurr was slow but it had enough bulk)

smurf

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    i enjoyed the gym leaders they posed a decent challange i think it woulda been cool if you had to battle all three brothers to get the trio badge but o well i enjoyed elsa too her pokemon beat me hnds dwn the 1st time i wasent expecting it lol woulda enjoyed it more if they where stronger though

Minishcap

Fecaloma
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2012
    Only Elesa proved a challenge for me, because I used a Krokorok without any strong attacks to take out her pesky Emolgas. I first sent out my Leavanny since I wanted to outspeed her, and she pulls out a damn Volt Switch and a Flame Charge with her Zebstrika.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    As far as personality goes, Lenora was probably the best God how the name Aloe was better..., as far as looks go, Skyla was prettiest and when it comes down to overall awesomeness... probably Iris was best. But tbh something about the gym leaders this generation was kind of boring, though I did love how they got involved in the story more than in past generations.

Hardest on first playthrough was probably the Striaton gym leaders, or Lenora since at first I didn't use Pansage and kind of stuck to Tepig/Pignite, and with the new experience system it was pretty annoying to grind (I usually grinded, but still!) The later gym leaders were waaay easier.

Sadly though it is true that Elesa and Skyla were easiest for me. Although everyone apparently had a challenge on Elesa, idk, I just levelled up my Pignite (which might've been an Emboar by then?) and I survived somehow, lol :(

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Drayden was a challenge for me. I had no good Pokemon up against Dragon-types, so... Elesa was okay, that Volt Switch was annoying though. D:

Yoak

Pokemon Battler In-Training
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2012
    Strangly, Lenora was the hardest for me... >.>

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • As Forever said, their personalities were kind of boring. While they were more involved with the main plot than past generations, they seemed really flat. Lenora, Burgh and Iris definitely had the most personality in the bunch. I hope they're all expanded on in the inevitable expansion game we'll get eventually.

Battle-wise, Lenora was definitely the hardest. When she gets that Retaliation in after defeating her Herdier and you're left scrambling to recover, you definitely aren't feeling like the best trainer in the world. I think the problem was touched on above being that they didn't have enough variety in their teams. Only 2-3 Pokemon and usually all monotypes. Just too easy to breeze your way through all of them. Definitely something that needs to be expanded on in "Grey" as well.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • OMFG ALOE WAS A NIGHTMARE. Her Watchog was so strong. ;o;
    My favorite gym leaders are Elesa, Skyla and Iris. Elesa had the prettiest outfit, Skyla had the prettiest design and Pokémon and Iris had the cutest hair. XD;

Shelmet

Spiraling Disastertastrophe
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2012
    Lenora was the hardest for me because of her Watchog. I don't even know why I had a problem with it - my team was a few levels higher than her at the time. Elesa was also a challenge, but I managed to beat her the first time. I have Black, so I had to battle Drayden, but my favourite gym leader is Iris (mostly because of her hair).

Roughneck Tom

The dawn of a new champion....
    Years
  • No gym leader in Unova gave me a hard time . Yet probably the longest time taken was to beat Brugh of Castelia City . It was because , i only had a Dewott and Throh in my team at that time and neither had any super effective move against his third pokemon Leavanny . The easiest was the 7th gym . Did not break a sweat to win that badge

Years
  • I really struggled on Elessa, those two Volt Switching Emolgas...bah :P. Other than that, I thought they were pretty easy, especially Burgh.

Kokuo

Ground Type Trainer
    Years
  • The only Gym Leaders I had trouble with were Elesa because of volt switch and Drayden because I didn't have anything strong against dragons at the time.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Volt Switch, Volt Switch, Volt Switch, and once again Volt switch.....we all know who that is, thats right that is elesa's Emolga I can't stand the both of them. They kept knocking out my Dewott and Tranquil

:t354:TG

Back