• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Unova Pronunciation: You-Na-va? or Un-No-Vah?

How is it Pronounced?

• You-Na-Vu

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Un-No-vah

Votes: 75 65.8%

• Total voters

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    For me, it's neither, though it's closer to the first one. You-no-va, anyone?

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I've pronounced it as "You-No-Vah" ever since the first time I heard the region name. Of course pronouncing it like that all the time I am adjusted to saying it that way, and if it isn't pronounce as so, it'll be pretty weird for me. :( Also keep in mind it just might be that the narrator who pronounced Unova in a different way, their way of pronouncing it. Like I've mentioned somewhere around before, I guess we'll get the official confirmation on how to say it when the anime Black and White is released this week. 'Best Wishes' for "You-No-Vah!" D:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    After seeing it for myself in the the first B&W episode that aired in the US, Unova is pronounced: "You-Nih-Va". I guess I can work with that, but I was so used to pronouncing the "Nih" as "No". u_u It's like saying the first part of Universe with an A at the end, "Univa".

dylkimaloc

Resident Water-type fan
    Years
  • You-nuh-va = gross

You-no-va = win.

Still, after watching B&W I don't understand why they decided to pronounce it that way. Gonna bug me for a bit, but I'll get over it.

Zhinc

a Dark-type trainer
    Years
  • Um, I always thought is was 'Uhn'-'o'-'vah'. But I guess I could change to say it another way; I've never really been happy with that pronounciation anyway. =/

'Univa'? That kinda sounds like part of 'universe' is you say it really fast. xD

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • Well apparently it is now offical that it is "Una-va (You-na-va)" in the US. Gosh, I wanted to be pronounced "You-nova". I guess we cant always get what we want :[ and this proves it. Now I'm sad.

But Im still going to say "You-nova" just because it sounds cooler. I dont care if people give me that crazy look :D

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 12, 2013
    It's weird, because I've never had to say it out loud I haven't thought about how I'd pronounce it. After watching the anime I'm going with you-no-vah though.

SukoSuNa

Nelson Mac Champ
    Years
  • I always pronounce it "You-No-Vah".
    Mostly because there's a street where I live called Nova Vista so I'm used to the sound "No-vah".

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I just call it Isshu~ It's easier~~

Yeah but this thread is asking of only the two ways (and any other ways of "Unova" not Isshu) D;

Even after the pronounciation was confirmed official by the anime, I still am going to call it U-no-va. I don't care if the other way is official, it just does not sound right to me. :x /rebel

Back