• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Unova Pronunciation: You-Na-va? or Un-No-Vah?

How is it Pronounced?

• You-Na-Vu

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Un-No-vah

Votes: 75 65.8%

• Total voters

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Oo-No-Va for me.
    I say it with the second syllable stressed like Oo-Nova though, not like Oo-nuh-va

Vindra

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    Oo-No-Va for me.
    I say it with the second syllable stressed like Oo-Nova though, not like Oo-nuh-va
    This is the way I pronounce it, too.

I really dislike this name... the "ova" part jumps out at me every time. D:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    It's pronounced UN-NO-VAH. You-na-va sounds wrong. Un-no-vah sounds like Universe the other one doesn't.

It's actually pronounced "You-Ni-Va," but You-Na-Va is also correct if you pronounce it slightly the same way. It sounds a bit more like Universe in my opinion, and the correct pronunciation has already been confirmed "You Ni/Na Va" after hearing the characters in the B&W anime say it for themselves. ;x

For others, it may just depend on their accent.

μοναδική τους ελπίδα
    Years
  • If you pronounce it based on its name origin (Latin, if I recall?), you would pronounce it "Oo-noh-vah", which is how I've been pronouncing it, being the language geek I am ^_^

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Ever since the debut of Unova, I've been saying it as "You-NO-Vuh" all this time. But when I saw the first episode of B/W, it's been said "You-Nah-Vuh". So, it's been quite confusing to say which pronunciation is the correct one.

Envioux

Heir Transparent.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2011
    I've been pronouncing Unova as "You-No-Va" ever since it was first revealed.

I remember the day it was revealed as Unova. U nited (states) ov (of) a(merica) and thought it was pretty clever. United begins with "You" so I pronounce it "You-No-Va".

tl;dr You-No-Va seems correct to me.

Last edited:

The Red Chain

I hate the actual pronunciation, I really do. ;-; You-nih-va just defies the English language.
    It's as if they are trying too hard to be different, even if it means making zero sense. ]:
    I wonder what it's supposed to resemble when pronouncing it like that...

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016

It's actually pronounced "You-Ni-Va," but You-Na-Va is also correct if you pronounce it slightly the same way. It sounds a bit more like Universe in my opinion, and the correct pronunciation has already been confirmed "You Ni/Na Va" after hearing the characters in the B&W anime say it for themselves. ;x

For others, it may just depend on their accent.
    I'm pretty sure it's "You-nuh-vuh," - not "You-niv-vuh,"

I've even just checked BW01 (I have it downloaded on my PC, shhhh), you can hear the "nuh" in the pronunciation when all the characters say it. I hear no "niv".

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • As I believe I said before, Oo-NO-va is the closest to where it came from. Assuming it really is from Spanish and not Latin, there's some confusion. Also, no va means "doesn't go" in Spanish.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Anyone who doesn't pronounce the 'nova' part as 'no'-'vah' is wrong, anyway - seriously, that's just failing at English right there.

Which would be the majority of the anime voice actors..? Because I heard "nih" with each pronunciation, not "no"... :cer_laugh:

After seeing it for myself in the the first B&W episode that aired in the US, Unova is pronounced: "You-Nih-Va". I guess I can work with that, but I was so used to pronouncing the "Nih" as "No". u_u It's like saying the first part of Universe with an A at the end, "Univa".

Where the heck did they get "Nih" from? I could understand if the region was spelled Univa, Unihva, or Unyhva, but come on! There is clearly a 'nOv' right there; how could they possibly get a low-I sound from that? I know Unova is a fantasy word, but we have to follow some sort of language convention, and since this is the English dub, I would assume the dubbers/localizers would be following English conventions for the most part unless otherwise specified. Unless Unova's vocal rendering is derived from a foreign language other than English, they're setting things up so that children viewing will have their vowel sounds possibly botched. >_> Vowels sound certain ways for a reason; they can't just go attributing the "ni" sound to the spelling "nova". Otherwise, I can equally start using pfjgqwww as a textual rendering for the letter A (pronounced "ay").
    Ugh...this is why linguistics annoy me, especially the English language which is chock full of words devised by people who don't know their vowel and consonant sounds.

As I believe I said before, Oo-NO-va is the closest to where it came from. Assuming it really is from Spanish and not Latin, there's some confusion. Also, no va means "doesn't go" in Spanish.

Anyway...the three immediate language derivations I can apply to the portmanteau Unova are English (united and nova), Spanish (uno and no va; uno and the English/Latin word nova), and Latin (unum and nova); or a combination of any of those italicized words:

-Provided the origin is English, "You-No-Vuh" would be a valid pronunciation, as the word "united" also begins with the pronunciation of "You".

-Provided the origin is Spanish, "Ooh-No-Va" is more fitting, as the Spanish word uno is pronounced OOH-no, not YOU-no.

-Provided the origin is Latin, "Ooh-No-Vuh" fits again, as the Latin word unum is pronounced OOH-num, not YOU-num.

Anyway, I'm not a language expert, and until we get an actual linguistic origin, pretty much any pronunciation is correct for Unova. And until then, we won't know which language rules the commercial announcer and voice actors are actually violating. if any. IMO, the voice actors definitely are by pronouncing "NO" as "NIH" (language fail T_T). Ugh...this is why I dislike linguistics.

Anyway, I pronounce it Ooh-NO-Va, as in my experience it's rare nowadays to hear a word that starts its spelling with "U" and is pronounced "Ooh". With Ulgamoth, I do a similar thing by leaving out the "Y" from the "U": UHL-ga-moth (uhl rhymes with null).

That poll really needs to be amended, due to the numerous pronunciation possibilities of Unova...

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I pronounce it You-No-Va, but in the english anime, they pronounce it You-nu-vah, saying the nu part quickly, making it sound somewhat similar to how it should be pronounced You-No-Va.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I had been pronouncing it as 'You-No-Va' since the English name for the region was revealed. Ever since the Black and White series premiered on Cartoon Network though, I've kept up the pronunciation as 'You-Nuh-Va.'

Back