• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Unova Pronunciation: You-Na-va? or Un-No-Vah?

How is it Pronounced?

• You-Na-Vu

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Un-No-vah

Votes: 75 65.8%

• Total voters

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
Years
  • I was under the impression that it was pronounced You-no-vah because there was an O in it. You know:

UnOva

Or have the basics of the english language just been ignored?

Years
  • I'm starting to get used to the You-Nuh-Va pronunciation of Unova. It almost sounds like United States of America all squeezed up. :B

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Wow I always thought it was You-No-Va...
    It sounds better in my opinion, so that's how I'll pronounce it.

Adam.

Knowledge isn't everything.
    Years
  • I pronounce it as You-No-Vah based on how I pronounce the acronym, USA. Although, now I'm getting used to pronouncing it to how it is said in TV adverts and the Anime.
    On the other hand, everyone pronounces everything in their own way based on how they interpret the word themselves so I wouldn't go screaming at someone if they didn't say Unova properly...

soϲks

da grovyle
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2011
    I usually pronounce everything wrong, but I'm fairly confident that you-no-va is the way to go with this. It just feels more right than the other pronunciations.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    i usesd to say it isshu lol no but really i thought it was youuuuuunnnoooooova. but i guess the correct way of saying is alright

Years
  • You-no-vah doesn't sound right. I think it should be Un-no-va but to be honest I'm not too bothered, it won't affect my enjoyment of the game :)

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • I highly doubt something spelt as UNOVA would be pronounced as "un-oh-va"

"You-no-va" just seems right in my mind.

And usually words like these don't pronounce the "u" and "n" together unless it's words like: "unless" and "unforetunate".

"You-no-va" sounds better to me so I'll call it that.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
    Years
  • It's from UNited states OV America right ?..So it should we You-no-va.."U" should be pronounced as in "United"

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I don't know. Un-No-Vah sounded right to me all this time.
    Well I guess I'm going to start saying You-Nee-Vah or something. :/

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • They actually say U-no-va in the Anime. They say it the same as most of us but we stretch out the "no" where as they say it quickly.

We say: U-know-va
    Anime: U-no-va

See the difference? xD

Back