• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

US President Barack Obama: Inarguration Day (b'-')b

Will the actions of The Obama Administration affect you?

• Yes. And It's quite Historic.

Votes: 29 65.9%
  • No. What the US does won't affect me.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Maybe so?

Votes: 9 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    My school is taking out three periods on Tuesday just to watch the Inauguration. It is important to watch since this is a moment in history where the United States shows the rest of the world that we are threw with racism (atleast the majority of all of us are).

My school is doing that too. All my teachers are going which means that I'll miss three straight classes, two that i don't like. I won't be paying attention to the inarguration though, I might be listening to music or texting or something. I'm not that interested in listening to what the Presidents ever do.

Years
    Heh...

That being said, I will not be watching the inauguration. Just can't bring myself to do it. There's no way I'll be able to sit through all those celebrity entertainers praising Obama and celebrating the downfall of Bush at the cost of 150 million dollars (And the media complains that Bush's inauguration was "extravagant" and "over the top", and yet won't even come to a third of the cost of Obama's). I'll admit that it's a very historic event, but good lord, it seems more like a party if anything. I think I'll pass.

Well as I remember it, in Bush's Inauguration in 2001 There were massive protests in the "Walk to the Capitol," His motorcade was pelted with eggs, and the Secret Service was forced put the pedal on the metal on the Motorcade for our President's Security. =P

And this was due to the "Hanging Chads" and Non-aligning ballots and the Electoral circus in Florida on 2000, thereby Winning the 2000 Elections by only about 500 Votes! Not considering the Popular Vote...which he lost.

So yeah Bush's inauguration should be cheaper. XD

Also, in today's Interwebz generation, anything that is popular whether it might be politics or going "Green" requires a Party. ^_^
    It's a tradition. XD

Last edited:

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
    I don't think my school is doing anything about the inauguration. They should though.

Either way, I'm sluffing my second and third period classes to go up to my mom's work to watch it on a huge screen complete with sodas, snacks, and friends. It will be good. :3

Years
    Pre-Inauguration Post...

Also Aura one of the Reasons Tax Payers are paying over $100 Million is for the Unprecedented Security during the Inauguration. 8000 Police Officers, 10000 National Guard Troops, coordinated approaches by hundreds of federal agencies, Secret Service Agents, Coast Guard Fast Boats in the Potomac, Jet Fighters implementing heavily the no-fly zone over Washington D.C., 7 bridges from Virginia closed etc...
    That's due to the security-fears stoked by terrorists espoused by the Bush Administration and assassination fears, plus the 3 Million+ expected crowds. =P

Obama honours Martin Luther King and urges US to work together.
    In pictures: Global 'Obamamania'
    Americans are marking the annual public holiday in memory of black civil rights leader Martin Luther King - on the eve of Barack Obama's inauguration.
    The US president-elect helped to decorate a community project in Washington in memory of Dr King, who was assassinated in 1968.
    Mr Obama paid tribute to Dr King and urged Americans to work together in "renewing the promise of this nation".

Time's Interview with President-Elect Obama (Excerpt)

When voters look at your Administration two years from now, in the off-year election, how will they know whether you're succeeding?
    I think there are a couple of benchmarks we've set for ourselves during the course of this campaign. On [domestic] policy, have we helped this economy recover from what is the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression? Have we instituted financial regulations and rules of the road that assure this kind of crisis doesn't occur again? Have we created jobs that pay well and allow families to support themselves? Have we made significant progress on reducing the cost of health care and expanding coverage? Have we begun what will probably be a decade-long project to shift America to a new energy economy? Have we begun what may be an even longer project of revitalizing our public-school systems so we can compete in the 21st century? That's on the domestic front.
    On foreign policy, have we closed down Guantánamo in a responsible way, put a clear end to torture and restored a balance between the demands of our security and our Constitution? Have we rebuilt alliances around the world effectively? Have I drawn down U.S. troops out of Iraq, and have we strengthened our approach in Afghanistan — not just militarily but also diplomatically and in terms of development? And have we been able to reinvigorate international institutions to deal with transnational threats, like climate change, that we can't solve on our own?
    And outside of specific policy measures, two years from now, I want the American people to be able to say, "Government's not perfect; there are some things Obama does that get on my nerves. But you know what? I feel like the government's working for me. I feel like it's accountable. I feel like it's transparent. I feel that I am well informed about what government actions are being taken. I feel that this is a President and an Administration that admits when it makes mistakes and adapts itself to new information, that believes in making decisions based on facts and on science as opposed to what is politically expedient." Those are some of the intangibles that I hope people two years from now can claim.

And I leave you with...Born Again American...

Last edited:

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Im home watching him now. Is speech is really something(like always)

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I am watching him right now. He is going to be the best President we ever had. I know the stuff he is saying probably won't happen overnight...but it is going to happen. I trust his judgment. He is going to save this country and the rest of the world.

AtomicoExploda

I don't know.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    Well, he is president now and it is pretty historic but i'm not sure how it would affect me. I think he'll do a good job, well, he sounds convincing anyway. It's kinda weird though, i'm really used to seeing Bush in the meetings and what not but now Obama takes his place... Good bye Bush...

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Wow. It was weird watching bush go goodbye in the helicopter but good riddance.

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    I just saw the speech, and it was wonderful. I know it'll take a long time for this country to get back on it's feet, but I have faith that it will.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Reading the White House's Agenda page makes me wonder if he will get to do it all.
    I never thought I'd see an American politician promising that.

If he does (and I hope so), I'm sure he'll be remembered for something else other than his skin.

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    His speech was touching and I have so many great expectations of him.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2011
    Okay, that was amazing. Seriously, I am so happy that Obama has just become the new president of the United States of America. He can't possibly make all he said come true, but with his election something changed already. I'm positive that he will be a better president than Bush, and I hope that there will be more peace in the world.

I was really touched by his speech. I think we all feel the hope that he pronounced. For today, I wouldn't mind being an American; the last years, my image of America hasn't been very positive, but now, after seeing all those incredible images of the thousands and thousands of people in DC, and Obama's speech, it is clear that America will choose a different direction. Or at least, I hope it will.

You may say that this is only an important day for Americans, but then you don't have the facts right. Cause whether we like it or not, America is the single most powerful country in the world, and that makes the president of it the single most powerful person in the world. And that also effects other countries. But, for Americans it's the most special of course! :D
    Anyone been there in DC?

Years
    Kennedy collapses at Obama lunch
    Veteran US senator Ted Kennedy has collapsed during the lunch being held to mark President Barack Obama's inauguration in Washington.

Obama vows to meet US challenges
    New US President Barack Obama has used his inaugural address to hail a "new era of responsibility" in a time of crisis at home and abroad.

Speech in full:
    https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/obama_inauguration/7840646.stm

I couldn't watch it. TT^TT
    I'll have to get home and watch it from there on Tape. =P

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    I must say 2 million people is a large number. And they dubbed it in greek so it sucked and all. I was literally shocked at the large amount of bullet proof glass. Why didnt they put him in a container of it for crying it out loud!

Back