• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

US President Barack Obama: Inarguration Day (b'-')b

Will the actions of The Obama Administration affect you?

• Yes. And It's quite Historic.

Votes: 29 65.9%
  • No. What the US does won't affect me.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Maybe so?

Votes: 9 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I watched it live on the BBC. When the speech finished, we had to turn over because someone wanted to watch Neighbours blah. It was a very good speech, I think. It was kind of cute how he messed up when he was saying the thing to make himself president before the speech (forgot what they called it, heh.) Yep, I thought it was very good.

Years
    Though he is very articulate and good at conveying his message, I doubt the speech was written by him. :/

I really wish they would give credit to the right people instead of saying "Oh. Great speech on bla bla bla. Obama ftw"

But I still liked his speech and yes he's good at conveying messaghesh.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Actually Obama is one of the few presidents who writes his own speechs, with some help from one of his 27-years-old assistants. But he mostly writes them himself.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    It's called the "Presidential Oath of Office" Jorah. Do you guys have those for ur Prime Ministers? =D

I don't think so XD We don't have huge ceremonies or anything, it's what people have been saying...why don't we have huge ceremonies too!? It's very different here, we don't make a huge deal over the elections and people don't seem to care very much at all. It would be cool if we did have huge celebrations, I think. But then I wonder who would want to have a celebration for Gordon Brown...but that's a conversation for another day XD

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Ha. When he messed on the oath like 3 times Michelle Obama smiled every time. It was the cutest. It was the first time he showed that he was nervous.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Actually Obama is one of the few presidents who writes her own speechs, with some help from one of his 27-years-old assistants. But he mostly writes them himself.

Her?

I liked the ocean medafores, but he didn't use them after the opening, so meh.

It was funny he messed up on the swearing in. But it just means he's human.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
    It was funny he messed up on the swearing in. But it just means he's human.

I was so disappointed when that happened, but actually it was the person who was telling him what to say that messed up, which confused Obama, so it's all good. :P

I am so glad I was able to watch it live on CNN, to bad the online feed kept lagging. Oh well, at least I saw all the important parts and heard his speech. I was trying to listen for the parts that would be remembered. Does anybody have any opinions as to what those are? I was thinking maybe it was "America is a friend of all nations" or "we will defeat you [evil doers, etc.]"

Anala

Ajula..?ZOMG MY SHINY UMBREON!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2009
    I'm so happy right now. President Obama's speech was wonderful.Watching the parade right now, I'm at a loss for words, except to say that I'm very happy right now.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    It was great; I saw it in school today. The city that I live in is majority Republican so the atmosphere was a bit tense and there were a lot of ignorant idiots...but other than that, it was neat to see a part of history being made.

I just felt so embarrassed for him when he messed up the oath DX
    If willpower could go back and change time, I would have done it ;-;

Years
    Whew...
    Kennedy 'well' after collapsing

Veteran US Senator Ted Kennedy is said to be well again after collapsing from "fatigue" at President Barack Obama's inauguration lunch in Washington.

Well I'm going home and watch the morning Inauguration...I'll tape the PBS Frontline Special too later...

So...Bye Bush?

Bye. ^_^

~SilverSoul

I'm Back!
    Years

Are you talking about Obama messing up? I heard that he didn't mess up, the other guy did. Obama memorized the oath, but the guy reading it twisted the words. i don't know. I seemed to have watched everything but that. We had to go to lunch then :(

rosewisteria

~Cuteness is NOT a crime~
    Years
    I am also very happy today. Though, sure, I didn't stay home from college classes to watch it like my other classmates but still, what a day! I loved his speech too. :) Beautiful like always.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2014
    It was great; I saw it in school today. The city that I live in is majority Republican so the atmosphere was a bit tense and there were a lot of ignorant idiots...
    Oh, put the partisan trash aside...there's no difference between a republican and a democrat; they both want money and power.

The Inauguration WAS indeed a splendid Hollywood-style production, as one of the news dudes put it. I really like how Roberts messed up the oath; it lightened the mood up. C'mon, the Chief Justice? That's big.
    I didn't like that they put extra cell towers in to keep any signals from going in or something...I don't understand this technical stuff; I'm just repeating what I've been fed.

The speech was lacking. There was a lot of hype, and he gave us nada. I was criticised today for mentioning that nothing quotable was said by Mr. President, but it looks like the pundits have been agreeing with me. He had a chance for being added to the Government class worksheets, and he blew it.
    He cheesily attacked the power of the market, which I didn't approve of. Everyone was talking about this peaceful transfer of power, but I thought that Obama was not too kind to Bush...and they weren't sitting far apart from each other.
    Yanno, I'd hate to be Bush today. To see 2 million people gather in front of me to applaud at someone speaking against everything I stand for would ruin me. It's admirable that he kept himself composed the entire afternoon...but people saying good riddance to the former President need to grow up. A politician is a politician; it doesn't matter who is in power. Every President we ever have had have had their flops (Lincoln and racism (IIRC, something ironic like that...)...FDR and his attempt to add jusitices to the USSC). It's fine that you didn't like Mr. Bush; I don't personally know anyone that does. But he does deserve the respect that he kept our country from falling apart in a time of desperation for eight years. The same goes for Mr. Obama to anyone who doesn't like him...

When Mr. President was signing the papers right after his address, he used the same pen. History? I think so.

The musical performances were nice...but, meh, I don't really care for the choir boys from military school ~_~.

What I didn't like about this whole thing was all of the people, probably several of you reading this, see today as history and special. Why? Guess what, kiddos: history is made every day. The end of December marked the general elections in Bangladesh, IIRC, swinging to a different faction. History was made at the end of December, and I bet you were spending gift cards. Whenever the t.v. interviewed someone, I had a nasty comment ready; everyone was there to see history or witness someone of their own race (in the case of an African American) become President. These people don't care about the politics; they're not colourblind, either. They don't see issues, they see what the First Lady is wearing and the colour of Mr. President's skin (Obama is special in that his political career is short...he is not special in that he is not of European descent. Anyone who capitalises on this is not colourblind and needs to reassess their racist ideals). Look, it doesn't matter what party they are, what race they are, how old they are, what gender they are, or what kind of ice cream they like the best; it matters where they stand on all of the issues on the fore currently. Very few can name off ten things Obama promised (I know I can't); the game of a politician is to just get a small word or phrase into our heads that we recall and to ensure that we forget the details. In this case, Mr. President played the game well. It's 'change'. I was getting disappointed that it did not come up in the speech for a while, but he got there. Let's see this change, Mr. Obama. Make the country better.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    It was great; I saw it in school today. The city that I live in is majority Republican so the atmosphere was a bit tense and there were a lot of ignorant idiots...but other than that, it was neat to see a part of history being made.

Actually the guy who was in front of him made the second mistake and Barack noticed it and didnt want to say the wrong words and waited but he did make 2 mistakes himself.

Years
    That's extremely stereotypical, just because someone is Republican, doesn't mean they are idiots.
    Honestly.
    But his mistakes... good god, the words were just spoken to you.
    I don't like him.
    If he does a good job, I will definitely change my view.
    But god forbid Biden get into office... Obama > Biden < Palin < Obama

Reactions:

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    That's extremely stereotypical, just because someone is Republican, doesn't mean they are idiots.
    Honestly.
    But his mistakes... good god, the words were just spoken to you.
    I don't like him.
    If he does a good job, I will definitely change my view.
    But god forbid Biden get into office... Obama > Biden < Palin < Obama

He wasn't saying that they were idiots BECAUSE they were Republican. He said they were republicans who happened to be acting like idiots. It's not partisan trash. It's how people are sometimes.

Years
    Heh...

Oh, put the partisan trash aside...there's no difference between a republican and a democrat; they both want money and power.

Well that is true in the sense that Politicians are hanging by the thread of Public opinion. Obama said so in his memoir "The Audacity of Hope." Well I would reply to your post, but I don't have the time. XD

Now I leave you with some Doctor Who:

Obama pledges 'era of openness'

US President Barack Obama has issued executive orders on government ethics and transparency as part of a packed first full day in office.

Last edited:
    Back