• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Venusaur Tera Raid solo strats?

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
  • The new tera 7-star raid was announced; Venusaur with Ground tera type. What is everyone planning to try for the raid?

Serebii was pretty fast with the raid info, so I'm not going into this raid spoiler-free as usual, but I am still avoiding watching any videos on it until I've tried to build something of my own first. I was leaning towards Sap Sipper having Pokémon, but now I am thinking Bulletproof instead. Chesnaught is good for that, and can hit with Grass-type moves that don't care about sunlight from Venusaur's Sunny Day being up.

652.png

Chesnaught
    Nature: Careful
    Ability: Bulletproof
    Tera: Grass
    Item: Big Root
    - Belly Drum
    - Seed Bomb
    - Drain Punch
    - Leech Seed

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Dislikes this one. Hates resetting for better partners with a three move lead-in. Prevents special attackers from accomplishing anything with Amnesia, as well as stopping Sylveon from participating in a meaningful way.

Venusaur's moves: Earth Power, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, and Amnesia. Leads with Sunny Day -> Growth -> Petal Blizzard. Clears your buffs around 2-3 moves in. Cleans its debuffs at 75% health or so.

Gave Scizor, Koraidon, and Corviknight a shot. Missed the timer by one move on Scizor. Went into healing wars with Koraidon. Suffered way too much damage after Terastallizing (to Flying) on Corviknight.

Also tried Malamar with Contrary, Topsy Turvy, and Skill Swap. Hoped for Venusaur to be dumb and spam Amnesia. Nope. Only did it once before learning.

Crushed it with Chesnaught. Succeeded with a less optimized build (+Defense from a previous Tera Raid, although full Attack and Hitpoint EVs). Kept the same moves too, which were incidentally the desired ones: Seed Bomb, Mud-Slap, Spiky Shield, and Swords Dance. Dropped its accuracy to be able to set up Swords Dances. Saved Spiky Shield for the buff clear. (Nullifies Bulletproof on that turn.) Spammed Seed Bomb after setting up.

Recommends Bellibolt as a partner for this one. Uses Light Screen quite often. Other decent choices: Weavile (Leer + Ice Punch), Gardevoir (occasional Life Dews), and Arcanine (Leer). Found Sylveon to be dead weight. Will not Moonblast past turn 1/2 because of all the Amnesias.

One more noteworthy thing: Crashed near the start of one attempt. Might actually be the first crash after 300+ hours.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Recommends Bellibolt as a partner for this one. Uses Light Screen quite often. Other decent choices: Weavile (Leer + Ice Punch), Gardevoir (occasional Life Dews), and Arcanine (Leer). Found Sylveon to be dead weight. Will not Moonblast past turn 1/2 because of all the Amnesias.
    My best runs with Chesnaught were with Bellibolt using Light Screen or Gardevoir using Life Dew. I had a good run with Arboliva and Grassy Terrain as well, but I think some crits made me lose that one.

Using the Goodra farm build I saw on YouTube for further runs, just to get the herba mystica without much effort. Venasaur can't touch it with any of the attacks, and you only need to use Protect on the turn that it removes abilities.

706-h.png

Hisuian Goodra
    Nature: Brave
    Ability: Sap Sipper
    Tera: Steel
    Item: Air Balloon
    - Iron Head
    - Gyro Ball
    - Curse
    - Protect

Back