• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Version exclusives

Years
  • As to be expected for most Pokemon games, version exclusives are a tradition we're all used to as a way to encourage trading to fill our Pokedex. Currently we know only the legendaries Solgaleo and Lunala will likely be version exclusives due to their status as the mascots.

So, what Pokemon do you think will be exclusive to a certain version? Or will there be a Pokemon exclusive that could encourage you to buy the other version? Are you also hoping for differences in locations similar to the 5th Gen games?

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I can see some Sun Stone Pokemon in Sun and Moon Stone pokemon in Moon. Same about Dawn and Dusk stone pokemon.

Years
  • Solrock being exclusive to Sun and Lunatone to Moon would be a no-brainer.

That one wouldn't be surprising, we could see more previous version-exclusive duos be exclusives here again, especially ones with a red/blue theme like Throh/Sawk, Skrelp/Clauncher, and maybe also Zangoose/Seviper and Plusle/Minun etc, like "red" ones being in Sun and "blue" ones being in Moon.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I want to see Pikachu and Meowth return as exclusives (irc they were in the originals (Red and Green). Not to mention that Meowth hasn't appeared in a Dex for a long time.

Years
  • I want to see Pikachu and Meowth return as exclusives (irc they were in the originals (Red and Green). Not to mention that Meowth hasn't appeared in a Dex for a long time.

If I remember, Meowth's usual version counterpart wasn't Pikachu, but actually Mankey.

Also, Vileplume and Bellossom evolve from Oddish so it technically can't be a version exclusive. The Pokedex entries and how certain Pokemon evolve aren't always taken into account when it comes to exclusive status.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • I want Lunatone in Sun and Solrock in Moon. Because, you know, GameFreak really like to troll us lately.

Screen flare screen flare.

Full Metal Body

s o l g a l e o ☀
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    I think it would be nice if they made pokémon exclusive that don't normally become version exclusives. Meaning, not the usual duos but rather more odd ones that would make sense in a Moon vs Sun style. Sunflora for Sun and the Gloom family for Moon maybe! With some other, more balanced choices too of course.

I guess making Sun Stone and Moon Stone exclusives could work... And be another incentive for trading. But don't many more pokémon evolve from Moon Stone than from Sun Stone?

Years
  • I guess making Sun Stone and Moon Stone exclusives could work... And be another incentive for trading. But don't many more pokémon evolve from Moon Stone than from Sun Stone?

I'm pretty sure we have more Moon Stone evolutions than Sun Stone, so it probably can't work.

Shadow Shield

l u n a l a 🌙
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    I'm pretty sure we have more Moon Stone evolutions than Sun Stone, so it probably can't work.
    Oh, that's true then. Well, they can invent new Mega forms or other ways to make pokémon take on special abilities or shapes in the different games, corresponding to sun and moon themes though.

Perhaps Dusk Stone and Dawn Stone would be better?

Years
  • Oh, that's true then. Well, they can invent new Mega forms or other ways to make pokémon take on special abilities or shapes in the different games, corresponding to sun and moon themes though.

Perhaps Dusk Stone and Dawn Stone would be better?

The issue is that the Dawn Stone evolutions are gender-exclusive branched evolutions.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • If I remember, Meowth's usual version counterpart wasn't Pikachu, but actually Mankey.

Also, Vileplume and Bellossom evolve from Oddish so it technically can't be a version exclusive. The Pokedex entries and how certain Pokemon evolve aren't always taken into account when it comes to exclusive status.

You most likely played the international version. But Meowth's original counterpart in Japan was Pikachu. Btw, I didn't play the original Kanto games of either kind.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I still remember Reshiram being the Black Exclusive and Zekrom being the White exclusive in BW1 but the context of that was much much different.

Anyway, I have no argument with version exclusives and stuff since its been their business model for the past games. I do have speculations that the version exclusives will have something to do with "Solar" and "Lunar" related things, like some of the key Sun exclusive mons are those mosty associated with Praising the Sun morning energy, sunlight, and stuff, and vice versa. Or as mentioned by someone here, I wouldn't mind if gamefreak suddenly trolled us by switching things around ;))))

Years
  • As a lot of you have said already, I definitely can see Lunatone and Solrock being exclusives; Solrock for Sun and Lunatone for Moon.

Besides them, I am not really sure. Maybe Espeon and Umbreon? But that wouldn't make sense I guess. Have to wait and see!

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • I'd like to see them do what they did with the non-Hoenn exclusives for ORAS, where the Alpha Sapphire ones were blue based, whilst the Omega Ruby ones were red/orange/brown based. I'd really like if the Moon Pokemon were more lunar based, whilst the sun were more solar based.

Oh, and whilst unrelated to Pokemon species, I'd love for them to do what they did in B&W, and expended on in B&W2, by making more version exclusive areas. That was amazing and I'd love for them to bring back some of that in S&M.

Back