• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Veterinarians... Full of Crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    https://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html

This article reveals the truth about Dry Food, something Vets recommend for your cats. They even tell you it's good for their teeth , when it causes Dental Failure. This food killed my Cat, and for what? So a vet could have some money in their pocket?

Please, spread the word. Veterinarians are out for money an solely money. They give you false info so they can charge you thousands for blood tests.

Spread it, please! I want the truth spread.

Stairmaster

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    Sorry about your cat but everything has side effects. By the way, dry food doesn't cause dental failure. Believe it or not, you're supposed to brush your cat's teeth.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Stairmaster: This isn't a simple case of side-effects. This is bout animals not having their nutritional requirements met and suffering malnutrition and eating things their body is not adapted to be able to handle. If you read the page you will see what The Original Darkwiz787 is talking about.

I don't doubt it. It makes perfect sense that an animal adapted for eating moist soft animal tissues would have a lot of problems with a largely dry, heavy, plant-starch based diet full of various other ingredients that cats are not adapted to be able to process in their system.

Though not all vets are out for your money - it was my friend's cat's vet who actually recommended he come of the dry food, after he urinated blood once and they took him to the vet out of concern. The cat seemed to be healthy (blood in urine it seemed to be a one-off thing in this case) but the vet informed that dry food can lead to problems like this and should only ever at best be a small supplement in a cat's diet. Better yet to not eat it at all. He only ever gets home-cooked meat now or gush-in-a-can from time to time.

Alkaide

••» I hate my homework!
    Years
  • Well, I feel sorry about your cat...but..but all the Vets are not of the same type as you think.

One vet made your mentality against all the vets world-wide.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • That really sounds terrible about your cat, but you can't blame vets world-wide for what those vets do. I don't know about the vets where you live, but here in the UK, it's explicitly stated that dry food does not contain the entire nutritional value that a cat needs and dental care is recommended on the side.

My cat gets a mixture of wet and dry food, cat milk (because, as with most cats, she is lactose intolerant), the odd treat and anything else she pick up outside the house (which is mostly plants or bird seed - yes, my cat is strange). This is a varied diet and ultimately adds up to the full nutritional amount she needs.

I'm sorry about your cat, and yes, if your vet told you that the dry food was all your cat needed, they are to blame, but you can't blame all vets. My vet is super kind and helpful, and always helps with my cat's dietary needs and medical needs, so I'm very sorry, but as has been said... you can't blame them all.

I hope you feel better soon.

Years
  • I thought this was some "Vet's Brand" overpriced specialty food that costs $50 a bag. So apparently all dry cat food is bad for them? That's bullcrap. We feed our cats the cheapest dry cat food they sell, and they're perfectly healthy. They live outside, but they don't really have any other source of nourishment besides the occasional mouse or bird, but they don't catch them often enough that it's possible it's the only thing keeping them alive.

Dental Failure? Is that even a real term? We've had hundreds of cats over the years, and none of them have ever had "Dental Failure". Common sense would tell you that canned food would stick to their teeth and cause dental problems.

I think you're overreacting and greatly exaggerating. Obviously dry food isn't this awful poison that is no better nutritionally then cardboard. Millions and millions of cats live off dry food with no problems. If dry food was really that bad, then they wouldn't still sell it.

I'm sorry your cat died, but it was not solely due to dry cat food, unless it was contaminated or something.

I didn't read that ridiculously long article, but one thing really caught my eye that made me question their "facts".
    [jq]Water, the most important nutrient for all living beings, is missing from dry cat food. It cannot be replaced or substituted.[/jq]I mean, really? Cats do drink water when they get thirsty. Geez, this article makes them sound like they're incapable of drinking water and that they'll just whither away if they don't get food that has moisture in it. Stupid.

Kon~

Years
  • It is true that the article acts like the only thing a cat is capable of ingesting is dry food.

Obviously, this is not the case, and as such, I think it is safe to say you should not draw all your knowledge of feline dietary needs from this article. It mentions things like lack of water and amino acids such as taurine, but, as has been said, cats are capable of drinking, and all wet food, at least, must contain the necessary amino acids.

Again, I am sorry about your cat, but may I also inquire further as to your definition of 'dental failure'. I've never heard of such a thing - dental problems, sure, but failure?
    I know a feral cat, who I feed quite often, who has terrible teeth and is missing a few. if you were to see him, you would think of dental problems, among other things (he is not the best kept cat). However, he has survived for many years in this condition, and has lost more teeth while I have known him. There is nothing I can do for him as he detests physical contact, and to put him in a carrier to take him to a vet would be suicide, but he must be somewhere between 14 and 18 by now? And he is fine.

It might be out of my place to ask, but are you sure that 'dental failure' was the cause of your cat's death, and not the essential vitamins and acids it was lacking from eating naught but dry food?
    (if that offends you, I'm sorry, I can't find a way to make it sound less accusing. :/ )

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Its not the dentist's fault your cat died. Its yours. Take better care of your cat and stop blaming other people for your problems. Brush their teeth.

Kon~

Years
  • In addition to what I have previously posted, may I pick this quote from the article?

In order to promote effective cleansing of tooth and gums, the food must remain in contact with the teeth and gums for a period of time. Nothing is going to provide effective abrasive cleansing than chunks of raw meat.

If you have not been feeding meat to your cat, its teeth are going to be more unhealthy than a cat that regularly eats meat.

Moreover, although a cat consuming a dry food diet does drink more water than a cat consuming a canned food diet, in the end, when water from all sources is added together — what's in their diet plus what they drink — the cat consumes approximately HALF the amount of water compared with a cat eating canned foods.
    This too shows that a dry-food diet is less healthy for a cat than one that incorporates wet food.

You should not feed your cat food that can sit out on the countertop for weeks or months without spoiling.
    ... i.e. dry food. Yes, it is good in moderation, but the part before this in the article states the many artificial additives put in dry food to make it keep. This is why a mixed diet is stressed by all competant vets. Which, by the way, are many.

In summary, as a cat's natural diet is low in carbohydrates, they are not designed to digest carbohydrates. Grain is added to dry cat food because it is mechanically necessary in processing the food and they are less expensive than meat, not because carbohydrates are healthy or necessary for your cat.
    Again stressing why a mixed diet is recommended.

Once more, I am sorry for your cat's death, but if you didn't look after it properly by feeding it correctly... I'm afraid the fault lies not with your vet, but with you, the owner.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    This food killed my Cat, and for what? So a vet could have some money in their pocket?

Please, spread the word. Veterinarians are out for money an solely money. They give you false info so they can charge you thousands for blood tests.
    Veterinarians... Full of Crap

whatamireading.jpg

>Implying that vets would risk ruining their reputation, and therefore losing income, by giving false info.

>Implying vets wouldn't already gain enough from pets that are ill for legitimate reasons without some conspiracy going on.
    >Implying vets want to kill animals.
    >Implying that vets create the food, market the food and sell the food.
    >Implying that there would not be at least even one single honest vet out there that would blow the lid if there was some sort of conspiracy on a such a large scale.
    >Implying you have common sense.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Considering the thought of a global veterinary conspiracy is so far-fetched that only the thread creator believes it, I think this thread is pretty pointless and can be closed before it turns into a bunch of "omg no wai" and troll replies.
    *Locked*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back