• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Viruses, Trojans...

Years
  • As far as I remember I've never really had any threatening viruses. A couple of minor ones that were removed by anti-virus software immediately, but nothing major. Hopefully it stays that way!

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • Students at Penn State University get a corporate edition of Norton. It has the same definitions the standard Norton uses and updates forever, for free. It's also extremely lightweight and I don't notice it unless it detects something.

If you're a Mac user, don't assume you're safe. Macs don't get viruses, but they're just as prone to every other kind of malware that Windows computers get. And same goes for all smartphones, including iPhones. Everyone needs protection on their computer.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I don't think I've ever actually had a virus on either computer I've ever owned. My dad has had a couple over the years, but he's grown increasingly techno-illiterate as he's gotten older so that's really no surprise. And I've had a few instances of spyware or adware myself, but nothing major.

As long as you keep a good antivirus (I use Avast) and don't do anything stupid like click obviously fake email links or install "sponsor" programs, then I think it's really hard to get malware.

Years
  • A Dell laptop I have was swamped with malware. I had to take it to a computer store to have it repaired. The malware problem was so bad it took a few hours to remove everything. Unfortunately that laptop is defunct.

The laptop I'm using now gets those annoying fake alerts. But I make sure that my antivirus and antispyware software is updated.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • I did have a laptop, that I rarely scanned, I was a bit tough on the poor thing too, I think it was my toughness or a virus (probably from downloading unsafe copies of Pokemon Hacking stuff, or unsafe visits to websites). Whatever it was made the laptop slow down to a crawl, then eventually, it was dead, forever.

Years
  • I might have had like one minor trojan on an old computer of mine...I honestly don't remember. It was years ago. Most of the rare virus-related stuff I see nowadays is more my antivirus being all like "HAY TROJAN TRYING TO INVADE I STOPPED IT" oh okay. If there's anything actually there, it doesn't actually get onto my computer, thank goodness.

Haven't really had any nasty computer infections yet (knock on wood).

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2020
    My least favorite antivirus software is Avast because, when I installed it on Windows 8, I got a black screen when I rebooted my computer. I prefer Kasperskey; I got my physical copy of one as a bonus after my computer is fixed.

Demon Days

Element of Magic
    Years
  • Used to get plenty of viruses and malware back in my early days of the internet. Nowadays I don't get anything at all and my parents still think I'm tech-illiterate. Honestly, they'd be the only ones getting the viruses. Had to get rid of some fake search engine and toolbar that my dad managed to get on our previous computer a while ago. Of course they blamed me first, because I know nothing, apparently.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • Slightly off topic, but did anyone hate as a kid (or now) seeing their parents get new computers and within a year they are backed up and slow because they never delete anything and think those Java/Windows/etc. popups are spam and refuse to click on them? Ugh so frustrating. UPDATE!

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
  • The last time I actually got malware was because I was being an idiot...

I've been using MSE/Windows Defender or whatever with the occasional Malwarebytes scan to help clean anything up.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • I've had a few Viruses on my current computer, nothing too much, there was one Trojan which was a tosser to remove, but, we removed it with help from friends in the know. I have mainly had PUPs and like two or three Trojans, Avast! and MalwareBytes are my virtual knights in shining armor, I now religiously scan my computer since I had gotten it, still don't know how I ended up with the Trojan, through frequent scanning, I've had this computer for almost two years, no faults, no where even near having a full hard-disk.

Zet

Years
  • The last time I actually got malware was because I was being an idiot...

I've been using MSE/Windows Defender or whatever with the occasional Malwarebytes scan to help clean anything up.
    Microsoft has admitted that MSE/Defender is terrible, and that you should opt for third-party AV.

source: http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goo...w-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/
    That website recommends Avast, I however have found Avast to have become annoying to deal with. So you might want to consider going with Avira free or Panda free.
    (If you have the money to go with paid AVs, I would recommend checking out Bitdefender, Kaspersky, and NOD32. All three of them are great, so which ever one you choose will keep you satisfied)

The last virus I had to remove was the scamware from Interpol. I'm not sure how my brother managed to get it, but it was easily removed thanks to malwarebytes.

Back