• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Script: Visible Overworld Wild Encounter

Years
    Still works with v20.1?

I think so. I did not test it, but since there are no changes concerning wild encounter battles listed in the changelog of Pokemon Essentials v20.1 there should be no incompatibilities between this script and Pokemon Essentials v20.1.

Years
    How does this work with roaming pokemon?

It works as usual. The only difference is that the roaming encounters will spawn on the overworld if you have set your spawn-to-normal-encounter-propability to purely spawning, or the roaming pokemon will spawn or encounter normally depending on your mixed propability.

Read https://essentialsdocs.fandom.com/wiki/Roaming_Pokémon for informations about how roaming pokemon works and how to set them up.

Read also the commentary section in the script of the add on "Different Spawn And Normal Encounters - Overworld Encounters Add On" if you want different roaming pokemon for overworld spawning and normal encountering.

Last edited:
    Years
    It works as usual. The only difference is that the roaming encounters will spawn on the overworld if you have set your spawn-to-normal-encounter-propability to purely spawning, or the roaming pokemon will spawn or encounter normally depending on your mixed propability.

Read also the commentary section in the script of the add on "Different Spawn And Normal Encounters - Overworld Encounters Add On" for more.

It doesn't work. I've set a roaming pokemon, but it will not spawn

Years
    It doesn't work. I've set a roaming pokemon, but it will not spawn

Well, what shall I say. I tested it by myself and it works.

The easiest way to test it, is with the predefined roaming pokemon Latios, Latias, Kryogre and Entei.
    Simply set the game_switches for that pokemons on and try to hunt them. Note, that you can look at there current map id in the debug menu (press F9).

Please read also https://essentialsdocs.fandom.com/wiki/Roaming_Pokémon about defining and setting up roaming pokemon.

Years
    Well, what shall I say. I tested it by myself and it works.

The easiest way to test it, is with the predefined roaming pokemon Latios, Latias, Kryogre and Entei.
    Simply set the game_switches for that pokemons on and try to hunt them. Note, that you can look at there current map id in the debug menu (press F9).

Please read also https://essentialsdocs.fandom.com/wiki/Roaming_Pokémon about defining and setting up roaming pokemon.

That's what I did, and it shows them as roaming, but I can't see them roaming ingame. The video I've linked shows what I mean https://imgur.com/a/zE8pp2B

Last edited:
    Years
    That's what I did, and it shows them as roaming, but I can't see them roaming ingame. The video I've linked shows what I mean https://imgur.com/a/zE8pp2B

Since roaming encounters work as intended in Pokemon Essentials 19.1 with visible overworld wild encounters script version 19.1.0.4, your discribed odd behaviour seems to come either from wrong settings, incompatible plugins or other errors in your game. So, the plan to eliminate your bug concerning roaming pokemon is:

1st) Remove all plugins in the plugin folder and tried to hunt roaming pokemon in your pokemon essentials version without plugins. If you cannot encounter roaming pokemon, then your bug does not come from the visible overworld wild encounters script, but from your Pokemon Essentials version and it is recommanded that you reinstall a new clean Pokemon Essentials version and test again. If you encounter roaming pokemon, then continue with step 2nd).

2nd) Remove only the plugin folders of the visible overworld wild encounters script and its add-ons and and try to hunt roaming pokemon. If you cannot encounter them, then one or more of your plugins will force your bug. If you can encounter roaming pokemon, then continue with step 3rd).

3rd) Remove only the plugin folders of the all plugins except for the visible overworld wild encounters script and its add-ons and try to hunt roaming pokemon. If you cannot encounter them, then you did something wrong during installation of the visible overworld wild encounters script or its add-ons, or you have set the settings wrong. Then it is recommanded to reinstall a clean new version of the visible overworld wild encounters script and its add-ons. If you can encounter roaming pokemon, then one or more of your other plugins are incompatible with the visible overworld wild encounters script. To find out which you have to test every script seperately.

Another note, take enough time for testing, it might take al long time for encountering. (I noticed that your video stopped even before any pokemon encounters, but i is even possible that the roaming pokemon is the second or trird encounter on the route.)

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2023
    Hello, so, how i can replace the overworld sprites of the pokémon with a shadow or dust clouds? I want the player to not be able to see the pokemon, so it would be like a combination of random encounters with visible overworld. I don't know if it was understandable.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Thanks for this again...

I have two small problems that I don't know if they have to do with me doing something wrong or not...

1. Every now and then, when some Pokemon appear that involve animations, it gives me:

[Pokémon Essentials version 20.1]
    [v20.1 Hotfixes 1.0.2]

Exception: SystemStackError

Backtrace:
    [Additional Animations - Overworld Encounters Add On] 002_add_on_additional_animations.rb:117:in `call'
    [Additional Animations - Overworld Encounters Add On] 002_add_on_additional_animations.rb:117:in `block in update'
    [Additional Animations - Overworld Encounters Add On] 002_add_on_additional_animations.rb:113:in `each'
    [Additional Animations - Overworld Encounters Add On] 002_add_on_additional_animations.rb:113:in `update'
    [Additional Despawn Methods - Overworld Encounters Add On] 005_add_on_additional_despawn_methods.rb:65:in `update'
    [Additional Animations - Overworld Encounters Add On] 002_add_on_additional_animations.rb:138:in `update'
    [Additional Despawn Methods - Overworld Encounters Add On] 005_add_on_additional_despawn_methods.rb:65:in `update'
    [Additional Animations - Overworld Encounters Add On] 002_add_on_additional_animations.rb:138:in `update'

2. For some reason, even if I change the settings, I still have encounters with water Pokemon if they are on the shore...

Any ideas?

Thank you again for this amazing work.

Years
    Hello, so, how i can replace the overworld sprites of the pokémon with a shadow or dust clouds? I want the player to not be able to see the pokemon, so it would be like a combination of random encounters with visible overworld. I don't know if it was understandable.

Do the following:
    1) Get or create an overworld sprite for your overworld encounter as a shadow or cloud. This plugin will not provide a sprite but maybe you find can easily find some resource, for example search for "shiny missingNo [Ghost Form]" for an undefined ghost form.
    2) Name that graphic "cloud.png" and place it in your "/Graphics/Characters/" folder of your project.
    3) Download and install the "Visible Overworld Wild Encounters" Plugin, if not already done before.
    4) Place the following code snippet at the bottom of your visible overworld wild encounters script.

Note that this will be incompatible with teh ditto transform add-on and the lavenda town ghost add-on.

Code:
              #########################################################
              #                                                       #
              #        ADD-ON:  OVERWORLD ENCOUNTERS AS CLOUDS        #
              #                                         by derFischae #

# FEATURES:
    # [*] Shows shadow or cloud sprite for overworld encounters

# INSTALLATION:
    # 1) Get or create an overworld sprite for your overworld encounter as a shadow or cloud. This plugin will not provide a sprite but maybe you find can easily find some resource, for example search for "shiny missingNo [Ghost Form]" for an undefined ghost form.
    # 2) Name that graphic "cloud.png" and place it in your "/Graphics/Characters/" folder of your project.
    # 3) Download and install the "Visible Overworld Wild Encounters" Plugin.
    # 4) Place this code snippet at the bottom of your visible overworld wild encounters script.

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # Overwriting method ow_sprite_filename to include overworld cloud sprite
    #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    alias cloud_ow_sprite_filename ow_sprite_filename
    def ow_sprite_filename(species, form = 0, gender = 0, shiny = false, shadow = false)
        return "Graphics/Characters/cloud"
    end

Last edited:
    Years
    Thanks for this again...

I have two small problems that I don't know if they have to do with me doing something wrong or not...

1. Every now and then, when some Pokemon appear that involve animations, it gives me: [...]

Could it be possible that this error massage appears only in the following situation:
    You are playtesting your game in debug-mode. Then you start another playtesting without closing the open game window before. And then this error might happen?
    if you are playtesting your game in debug mode right after play

2. For some reason, even if I change the settings, I still have encounters with water Pokemon if they are on the shore...

Any ideas?

Thank you again for this amazing work.

If a water pokemon wants to spawn on a water tile, then the overworld encounter script checks if the tile on the left, right, top or bottom of that tile is not a surfable water tile anymore. So it might be possible that a water pokemon spawns a a water-tile which is a border diagonal to the land. Does this describe your situation?

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2023
    Thanks! It works fine, but, how can i determine when to use a determined graphic? For example, in caves dust clouds, in tall grass shadows.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    If a water pokemon wants to spawn on a water tile, then the overworld encounter script checks if the tile on the left, right, top or bottom of that tile is not a surfable water tile anymore. So it might be possible that a water pokemon spawns a a water-tile which is a border diagonal to the land. Does this describe your situation?

I tend to think that it has nothing to do with the diagonal...

This is my configuration in relation to water encounters...

Spoiler:

Thanks again

Years
    I tend to think that it has nothing to do with the diagonal...

This is my configuration in relation to water encounters...

Spoiler:

Thanks again

A water encounter can always swim to the shore, no matter what settings you have. NO_SPAWN_ON_BORDER = true only forbids that a pokemon spawns directly on the shore. And BATTLE_WATER_FROM_GROUND = false forbids to trigger a battle with a water encounter from the beach.

I hope I understood you correctly.

Years
    Thanks! It works fine, but, how can i determine when to use a determined graphic? For example, in caves dust clouds, in tall grass shadows.
    Try this (I haven't tested it):
    1) Get or create two overworld sprites for your overworld encounter as a shadow and as a cloud. This plugin will not provide a sprite but maybe you find can easily find some resource, for example search for "shiny missingNo [Ghost Form]" for an undefined ghost form.
    2) Name that graphics "cloud.png" and "shadow.png" and place it in your "/Graphics/Characters/" folder of your project.
    3) Download and install the "Visible Overworld Wild Encounters" Plugin, if not already done before.
    4) Place the following code snippet at the bottom of your visible overworld wild encounters script.

Code:
              #                                                       #
              #        ADD-ON:  OVERWORLD ENCOUNTERS AS CLOUDS        #
              #                                         by derFischae #

# FEATURES:
    # [*] Shows shadow or cloud sprite for overworld encounters

# INSTALLATION:
    # 1) Get or create two overworld sprites for your overworld encounter as a shadow and as a cloud. This plugin will not provide a sprite but maybe you find can easily find some resource, for example search for "shiny missingNo [Ghost Form]" for an undefined ghost form.
    # 2) Name that graphics "cloud.png" and "shadow.png" and place it in your "/Graphics/Characters/" folder of your project.
    # 3) Download and install the "Visible Overworld Wild Encounters" Plugin.
    # 4) Place this code snippet at the bottom of your visible overworld wild encounters script.

# Overwriting method ow_sprite_filename to include overworld cloud sprite
    alias cloud_ow_sprite_filename ow_sprite_filename
    def ow_sprite_filename(species, form = 0, gender = 0, shiny = false, shadow = false)
      if $game_temp.encounter_type.type == :cave
        return "Graphics/Characters/cloud"
      else
        return "Graphics/Characters/shadow"
      end
    end

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    Whenever on route, I get a crash randomly.

Here is the error log.

[2022-08-07 04:15:16 -0400]
    [v20.1 Hotfixes 1.0.2]

Exception: ArgumentError

Backtrace:
    [Essentials Deluxe] Species Files.rb:89:in `check_graphic_file'
    [Visible Overworld Wild Encounters] 001_visible overworld wild encounters script.rb:689:in `ow_sprite_filename'
    [Visible Overworld Wild Encounters] 001_visible overworld wild encounters script.rb:588:in `spawnPokeEvent'
    [Visible Overworld Wild Encounters] 001_visible overworld wild encounters script.rb:475:in `pbPlaceEncounter'
    [Visible Overworld Wild Encounters] 001_visible overworld wild encounters script.rb:379:in `pbSpawnOnStepTaken'
    [Visible Overworld Wild Encounters] 001_visible overworld wild encounters script.rb:342:in `pbOnStepTaken'
    047:Game_Player:544:in `update_event_triggering'
    047:Game_Player:439:in `update'
    032:Scene_Map:161:in `block in update'
    032:Scene_Map:159:in `loop'

Note sure what's going on here. It says given 7 but is expecting 2..4.

Years
    • Seen today
    Whenever on route, I get a crash randomly.

Here is the error log.

[2022-08-07 04:15:16 -0400]
    [v20.1 Hotfixes 1.0.2]

Exception: ArgumentError

Backtrace:
    [Essentials Deluxe] Species Files.rb:89:in `check_graphic_file'
    [Visible Overworld Wild Encounters] 001_visible overworld wild encounters script.rb:689:in `ow_sprite_filename'
    [Visible Overworld Wild Encounters] 001_visible overworld wild encounters script.rb:588:in `spawnPokeEvent'
    [Visible Overworld Wild Encounters] 001_visible overworld wild encounters script.rb:475:in `pbPlaceEncounter'
    [Visible Overworld Wild Encounters] 001_visible overworld wild encounters script.rb:379:in `pbSpawnOnStepTaken'
    [Visible Overworld Wild Encounters] 001_visible overworld wild encounters script.rb:342:in `pbOnStepTaken'
    047:Game_Player:544:in `update_event_triggering'
    047:Game_Player:439:in `update'
    032:Scene_Map:161:in `block in update'
    032:Scene_Map:159:in `loop'

Note sure what's going on here. It says given 7 but is expecting 2..4.

Download the latest version of Essentials Deluxe.

Years
    Download the latest version of Essentials Deluxe.

Hey! :)
    I'm sorry to quote you but i tried the new version of "Essentials Deluxe 1.0.2" and "Visible Overworld Wild Encounters V20" but that sadly dosent work.
    I got the same message as above mentioned, i also tried both plugins (+hotfix) in a new essentials folder but the error returns.

Have a nice day :)

Years
    • Seen today
    Hey! :)
    I'm sorry to quote you but i tried the new version of "Essentials Deluxe 1.0.2" and "Visible Overworld Wild Encounters V20" but that sadly dosent work.
    I got the same message as above mentioned, i also tried both plugins (+hotfix) in a new essentials folder but the error returns.

Have a nice day :)

Hmm...that doesnt make any sense. It looks like this plugin is overwriting the update i made for some reason.

Years
    Hmm...that doesnt make any sense. It looks like this plugin is overwriting the update i made for some reason.

I would help if i could but i'm not into scripting at all, on my side its only trial and error .. so yeah. ^^"
    For now, I excluded "Visible Overworld Wild Encounters" from my plugin folder.

Back