• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Volcarona] VS Genesect

Genesect or Volcarona?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
  • Wait, people are actually voting for something other than the awesomeness that is Volcarona? BRB, banning those 5 members... so far.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2014
    Honestly, this is a no brainer. Volcarona all the way. But for people to say, they can't vote for Genesect because not much is known about it, just look at its stats. Serebii has the info that you need to compare it.

Volcarona Sp. Atk trumps Genesect: 405 compared to 372
    Volcarona Spd trumps Genesect: 328 compared to 326
    Volcarona HP trumps Genesect: 374 compared to 346
    Even Volcarona's typing beats Genesect in what looks like one a hit KO.
    Genesect's move pool is lacking as well. Honestly, I'm questioning how Genesect was chosen to be a legendary Pokemon when its so weak. Hopefully it has something to do with Black and White 2. Kyurem was weak compared to most other legends as well before its 2 forms were revealed. So maybe Genesect gets a little something in Black and White 2. But without getting off topic, since Black and White 2 aren't released, as it stands Volcarona is better in every way.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
    • Age 32
    • USA
    • Seen May 2, 2015
    Volcarona wins without question. I really did enjoy the great variety of bug types this generation! I would consider Galvatula, Leavanny, Scolipede, Escavalier, and Volarona to be great additions to the bug type. However, the addition of so many bug/steel or steel/bug types detracted from the assortment of bug types. Genesect and Anito( I don't know what his name is really) definitely would not be missed if they were excluded from this generation!

Simipour

Geyser Pokemon
    Years
  • Volcarona, hands down! It's one of the best designed Pokemon of all the generations. It doesn't need to be a legendary to prove it's good.
    Genesect is one of my least favorite of the legendary Pokemon. It looks powerful, yeah, but doesn't really have the same charm as Volcarona does.

loucas

100% hot
    Years
  • V O L C A R O N A

i love it's hair, like, "yeah i am the king(or queen) and look at my crown! kneel before me, petty genesect.

(but i wonder how genesect looks like if it wasn't modified, i wish it's on four feet rather than standing up.)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    i love it's hair, like, "yeah i am the king(or queen) and look at my crown! kneel before me, petty genesect.

Except for the fact that the Water/Rock-based Genesect (I forgot how it works lool) would probably defeat it pretty easily. ;x Totally forgot typings though, makes Volcarona so much better!

Years
  • I like Volcaronas desing better. It would also win 1 on 1 since its faster and its fire stab would roast Genesect. Although Genesect has better typing and would probably be better agaist more pokemon and has anyone seen its special move pool? It has great type coverage.

For me quiver dance gets Volcarona over the line

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I'd like to remind everyone of a message that didn't seem to get across very clearly. Genesect has a cannon on it's back, so clearly you should be choosing Volcarona.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Pfft, lots of little kids like cannons (or little boys at least), so you'd think the cannons would attract more people to vote for it, lol.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    So it's like ancient symbol of sun vs genetic Tinkertoy, lol. Of course the ancient sun is better.

Cazzef

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I love both these Pokemon (despite not having used Genesect) so its a hard choice but at the end of the day Volcarona has my vote, it actually outspeeds Genesect by 1 point, and its fire type attacks will hit for 4x the damage. Genesects abilities are interesting as well though.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Volcarona, its double type is awesome. And it's powerful.
    And Genesect is just freaking disappointing. It doesn't look like a Pokémon, I mean, it looks like a robot ! If it was a kind of robot in the Pokémonworld, ok, this isn't disturbing. But calling that a Pokémon is... odd. Really.
    Anyway I'd like to see its former form, before being changed by Team Plasma. Hmm, maybe we'll see that in BW2 !

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    Volcarona - Bug Fire is awesome and unique, while bug steel is boring and generic. Not to mnetion the 4x weakness to fire Genesect sports, Volcarona's Quiver Dance couples with massive power and versatility, and the fact he just plain looks cooler than Genesect does, IMO XD I've always loved fire types though, and the only steel type I've ever liked is Steelix =/

Ghiaccio

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • Ah, well I like both! But I'd have to say Volcarona looks better, and idk it probably could be Genesect

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • I have to go with Volcarona. Over-all, I think Volcarona is a more promising and better pokemon. Design-wise, I love how it looks so kingly and all while Genesect looks like a squashed ant. Also, with the Foery Dance or Quiver Dance combo, Volcarona is a beast.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Volcarona is one of my favorite bug types, if not the. Genesect really can't be compared because whilst legendary, in terms of competitive battling (and even just a regular one really) Volcarona is a full out beast.

In a battle between the two, I see the obvious winner being Volcarona. Well first to begin with they're both bug types, but Volcarona has the advantage. x4 Fire weakness on Genesect couldn't be any more easier for Volcarona to sweep. Of course it all varies on what drive you give Genesect, but you know. Volcarona doesn't need some kind of CD drive to be great.

Plus Volcarona also has a pre-evolution and it's adorable. I think it has the win/win situation here, since its design is also amazing. To be honest when Genesect was first released I thought it was bland, and even now too. It rubbed off on me a little but first of all, the shade of purple isn't the best and second, it has no appeal to me as Volcarona does. The shades of red, orange, blue, etc. they are just really appealing to the eye.

So in the end based on everything that could be told about these two Pokémon, Volcarona gets my vote. :B

Last edited:

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
    • Age 27
    • honk
    • Seen Jan 5, 2014
    Which one gives you a better impression (or in this case, which one just catches your attention?)
    - Genesect mostly catches my attention, since I prefer his design, movepool, and typing.

Color-based & design wise, which one looks better to you?
    - Volcarona is pleasant to my eyes, but I prefer Genesect's color scheme.

Against each other, who would win the battle?
    - Unfortunately, to my dismay, Volcarona would win thanks to having the upper hand and advantages.

Genesect or Volcarona?
    - Genesect.

Back