• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Walmart-BYOB

It's BYOB at Walmart.
Bring your own bag to Walmart stores in Citrus Heights and Folsom to haul home all those eggs, soup cans and sandwich meat – or shell out 15 cents to buy a reusable bag at the store. read more

Basically, the people living in the area have to bring their own bags when they shop at walmart. Or, they can pay for some 15 cent reusable bags. Or, they can just load everything into their car, bagless.

How would you feel about this?

I would be sorta of mad. I spend the money at there store, they least they could do is give me a bag to take everything home in. I shouldn't have to pay extra. Yeah, it is just fifteen cents, but that's not really the point. I would pay the extra money, but only because It'd be hell unloading each item bag-less. Knowing me, I'd forget to grab my bags on the way out the door.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    It's also reducing the pollution in the environment, so I'm all for it.

Years
    People really should get into the habit of bringing a bag with them to grocery stores. Using a disposable bag every time you go is a waste since most people throw them away after one use. I'm glad to see a big name store like Walmart adopting this kind of policy.

I have to wonder how well made a 15-cent bag is though. It sounds like it'd break after a few uses, but who knows.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I'd prefer that a lot more. Too many littering of plastic bags.

My friends mom has one of those, and 15 cents for a reusable bag isn't really that bad. I'd pay the money, that is, if I had money. lol

Wobbubobafett

my backpacks got jets
    Years
    this is a wonderful thing, the plastic bag is the largest consumer product in the world and it is very obsolete,

save the environment. like bringing your own bags is that big of a hassle.

It is good for the environment, and I'm all for going "green." It justs seems like to me, the bags should be free. The 15 cents will add up if you have a lot of things needing bags. 15...30...45... 60... . I know that when my family goes grocery shopping we have at the very least
    20 bags. That's an extra 3 bucks to fork over. More bags, more money.

I might be making a big deal over this, but it isn't really so much about money. They are forcing change on people, which from what've been taught is wrong. :/

Last edited:

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
    I think it's a great idea. It's helps the environment out so much. I use my own bags anyways. But the bags should be free if they are going to do that.

And fun fact: did you know it takes 1000 years for one plastic bag to biodegrade in a land fill?
    This one store is keeping thousands of bags out of the land fill.

snap12

Billie Jean is not my lover
    Years
    This doesn't surprises me at all. Walmart is an evil corporation and Im proud to say I have never set foot inside one.
    Im not being a lunatic either, i'll try and find the link to one of the many articles that show Walmart is evil, and i think there was a story on 60 minutes about how they cheat their employees and developing countries that make their products

ÇyänïdëÉX

Dr.banana
    Years
    if its free then people wont bother to bring the reusable bags because its free. You see the way they cost 15 cents is a bit cheap i mean down here in miami you gotta pay 80 cents to a dollar to even 15 dollars. So i am all for having those bags, in fact they should at least cost 50 cents. That way people will learn to bring their own bags.

I actually would love to see many places discontinue the use of plastic/paper bags and enforce the "bring your own bag" policy.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Canada does something like this. Or at least, Ontario does. All grocery stores (and other stores? I'm not sure) are required to charge customers for every plastic bag they use. It's only $0.05 but it does add up over time. It was really annoying at first since I actually do reuse my bags until they're useless, but I can't really complain.

There are a few stores that don't do it, or they'll forget to charge you for it and the cashier just doesn't care. But otherwise they all push their reusable cloth bags on you. I have a few of them that I never seem to remember to bring with me when I go grocery shopping but when I do remember them, they're so much more convenient than plastic bags because they hold a lot more, they're more comfortable to carry, and they're a lot sturdier.

I wouldn't be surprised if charging for each individual plastic bag becomes the norm everywhere. It's a bit annoying, especially if you need a lot of them, but it makes you step back and think about what you're using.

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
    Not gonna lie-- yeah, I'd be a bit annoyed to pay; just 'cause of the concept. But you know what? That little action would be helping our environment so much, so when it comes down to it, I'm comletely for the idea. I honestly think more stores should start doing this.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I always forget to bring a bag of my own... after all why shouldn't you? So it might make me stop forgetting. :)
    I was always quite baffled at why bags are free anyway, so I wouldn't mind paying either.

Bay

Years
    This doesn't surprises me at all. Walmart is an evil corporation and Im proud to say I have never set foot inside one.
    Im not being a lunatic either, i'll try and find the link to one of the many articles that show Walmart is evil, and i think there was a story on 60 minutes about how they cheat their employees and developing countries that make their products

As someone who does case studies for Wal-Mart at uni, I think you're a bit bias here and only siding with the people who are hardcore activists of of the store. I'm not saying that Wal-Mart is the perfect store since of course it isn't, but you have to realize sometimes articles online and even TV programs like 60 minutes tend to go only one side of the debate. I too read articles about Wal-Mart, but they're case studies made by a group of academics that explains the good and bad things about the store (true, sometimes professors and other academics are bias, but most of the time their arguments are more reliable than the media you're used too every day).

Anywayyyyys, well my mom and I would use the plastic bags as either trash bags or to put our lunches in. XD We still have a bunch of them though in our house. @_@ I know the reusable bags at our Wal-Mart are cheap, so I might try to convince her to buy a few of them since yeah, we're not the most environmental people out there. :x I bet though we're forget to bring them. XD;

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    I'm actually pretty happy to see this, and I wish all stores would take this initiative. I mean, a good percentage of humanity still doesn't quite understand the priority of recycling or even "going green" for that matter. We're pretty set in our wasteful ways, so forceful methods such as these seem to be a perfect solution.

...now if only I could actually remember to bring those things to the store. XD;

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2013
    It's also reducing the pollution in the environment, so I'm all for it.

How much gas is used in container ships used to ship all the stuff from China to the US? I will acknow;edge that shipping is more energy efficient per mile though, but it is still 8000 miles to go from China to a West Coast port.

Great!! Increase the US trade deficit; shop at Wal-Mart... makes you look so prole.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    We've been doing this in the UK* for two years now. I think it works pretty well. It stops people from taking carrier bags when they don't actually need one, it helps the environment a tiny bit, and the re-usable bags the supermarkets now sell are super useful for carrying heavier groceries and not having to worry that the bag is going to break halfway home. I'm all for it.

* Sainsburys, W. H. Smiths, Marks and Spencers are the main adopters. And HMV have started to use paper bags instead of plastic ones which are awesome.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    It's terrible. Sure they could sell these bags as optional but making them required compromises Wal-Marts "Always Low Prices" message.
    I don't wanna go on a rant but if they tried this in my community Wal-Mart would quickly lose business.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    I don't want to say its a bad idea, but I love getting bags, not having to bring my own, and not paying extra. I would rather see them do more recycling of plastic bottles and such.

Back