• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

We all have our quirks

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2016
    This game is about posting stuff about a Pokemon species. Remember, only Pokemon with National Dex number 649 or lower can be used until October 13, 2013, therefore, no Kalos Pokémon until then.

One poster posts a Pokemon's name and states about their choice of Pokémon. The next poster nitpicks about the Pokémon, then chooses a different choice, adding a supporting statement.

Example
    Person 1:
    OK, here we go.
    Magikarp
    It is the strongest Pokémon in the world

Person 2:
    No it is not. It can't learn ANY moves OTHER than Splash.
    Quagsire
    If if wasn't for this Pokémon in HeartGold, I would never defeat Lance.

Person 3:
    Quagsire is a lame Pokémon, it can't learn any Same-Type moves.
    Zebstrika
    There is no Pokémon in the Unova Region that CAN POSSIBLE outspeed this striped beast.

That was just an example. Now I shall start the game.

Tepig!
    The other two Unova starter Pokémon are "terrible".

Years
  • Nah, Tepig evolves into Fire/Fighting, that's the third in a row.

Tyranitar!
    It's the best lead for sand teams, it can set up SS and SR, AND take out the opposing lead if it's really tanky.

ShadowMirror

Ready for the Battle
    Years
  • yeah but if you have other pokemon they could get hurt by the sandstorm

Gotta love Deerling and its seasonal changes

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
    Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2016
    Deerling, uh, what's the point of the season system, other than bad Pokémon appearing in seasons other than winter.

Sigilyph
    Native to Desert Resort. It's elusive, but a great Pokémon, available all year round.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2014
    I like Sigilyph, so this is gonna hurt...

It has an unown, the gimmickiest pokemon in the world, on its head. And seeing as it lives in a desert, wouldn't it get hit by sandstorms?

Gardevoir has a great movepool and high Special Attack. Shadow Ball, Psychic, Energy Ball and Thunderbolt are all great moves!

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2014
    Actually, Gardevoir is faster than Machamp and would probably 1HKO him with a single Psychic. And even if Machamp did hit Gardevoir would only lose maybe half health because of resistance. You would then be screwed in a single battle, even with your "friggin' four arms". Your argument is therefore irrelevant.

EDIT: Fun fact, Gardevoir and Machamp are both about the same height, and are both shorter than me somehow!

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Eh. Gardevoir lacks physical stats, and therefore wouldn't stand a chance against a fighting type like...

Machamp. It has friggin' four arms. Beat that!

Actually, Gardevoir is faster than Machamp and would probably 1HKO him with a single Psychic. And even if Machamp did hit Gardevoir would only lose maybe half health because of resistance. You would then be screwed in a single battle, even with your "friggin' four arms". Your argument is therefore irrelevant.

Even though I agree that Machamp doesn't counter Gardevoir, I'm going to continue off Heretostay's message.

You can only get a Machamp through trading with a friend, which is too inconvenient, so it's not worth using Machamp...

Which is why you should use Lapras, so you don't have to worry about evolving at all!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    But Lapras is no fun if you can't evolve it - what's there to work towards?

That's why you should use a Sandshrew! It's the cutest little thing out there and has such an interesting character with his hard shell and ability to curl up away from the world. Plus he evolves into a real badass - what could be cooler?

Years
  • But Sandshrew is not really powerful and kinda slow.

Instead, I recommend Marowak! Marowak is known for its massive potential with the Thick Club - even back in the second generation, a max attack EV Thick Club Marowak could reach maximum attack (999) with a single Swords Dance. Now that's what I call MVP.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    But Marowak's slow and fragile, he'll never manage to get in a Swords Dance before he's knocked out!

You should use Scizor instead; he's fast, strong and bulky to boot. He has incredible power with great bulk and priority moves for speed - what else could you need?

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • Scizor's overrated: his weakness to fire makes him pretty vulnerable when fighting other players.

I think Galvantula is a pretty good substitute: cause an electric bug is a pretty awesome typing :)

Years
  • But Marowak's slow and fragile, he'll never manage to get in a Swords Dance before he's knocked out!
    >fragile
    >highest base stat is defense
    >FRAGILE
    >HIGHEST BASE STAT
    >IS DEFENSE

Ahem.
    Galvantula may have a good typing, but honestly that and compoundeyes Thunder is all it has going for it. It doesn't have amazing stats or anything. Plus it's weak to Stealth Rocks.

I say, if you're going to catch anything in Chargestone Cave, make it a Ferrothorn! Ferrothorn has great defenses, next to which his speed doesn't really matter because, given the moves he usually packs, he doesn't REALLY need to attack first. Aside from the usual hazard layer strategy, Ferrothorn can also run a Curse+GyroBall set, which at +6 -6 can and will decimate anything in its path that doesn't quad resist steel, is slow, has high defense or uses Protect. And don't get me started on the Rocky Helmet strat.

Back