• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Weirdly popular HGSS pokemon

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
    With Pikachu unavailable during the early part of the game Ampharos was massively popular in HG/SS as it was in G/S. I have used Ampharos in nearly every run of the game. Who couldn't love the electric lamb? Quite a few people used the Red Gyarados too :P

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Mareep's obvious popularity has been explained repeatedly.

However, I personally used Heracross because it's the easiest to get it's ever been (I didn't even realise you could catch it in Hoenn, it's so rare), but still rare.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2015
    Because mareep is more popular as female, it stands a chance by crippling whitney's (FAT) miltank from destroying your team. and once again, it does good at the first gym as well, and against scyther's flying type weakness. :>

Years
    Heracross is a super-strong bug type, there's lots of advantages to having one on your team. Along with Mareep, they're both found really early on in the game and aren't that bad by the time you get to the end of it, so that's most likely why so many people have them.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    Well I had an Ampharos in HeartGold because Mareep was the first Electric Pokemon I'd come across. By the time I'd come across Magnemite, I didn't really think it was useful, mainly because it could easily be annihilated by even moderately powered ground moves, thanks to their lack of Levitate and their 4x weakness against Ground-type moves. Besides, Ampharos (at least from my experience) has a good movepool and good stats, so I kept it on my team. :3

Aura Rift

Mantle of flame
    Years
    Yeah, I think it's due to availability.

For example:

Code:
    - Mareep: Only available in Hoenn Safari Zone, post-Elite Four, when it's hard to train. Now available common as much to fight Falkner with for your first badge in Johto!

- Stantler: Like Mareep, only incredibly rare.

- Heracross: Available in LeafGreen, but rare. Even rarer in Sinnoh (yet Barry has that AND Munchlax). Commoner in Johto.

- Remoraid: Fairly easy to find in 3rd Generation, albeit post-E4. Common as muck in Sinnoh. Suddenly rare in Johto, so less common.

- Marill: Common in 3rd Gen. and Sinnoh. Suddenly rare in Johto, so, becomes less used. However, due to being Johto's equivalent to Pikachu, its' value increases and many people also search for it.

At least, that's my opinion. :D

This^^^^ I would have said excactly this if Armore hadnt said it first

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2012
    Well, the mareep is explainable because when I had one at first was because i played through the gbc version and The sick ampharous looked strong to me so in this version i caught a Mareep to get the Amparous. But thats just my opinion.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    These two pokemon actually never appealed to me. When I played GSC I never even knew ampharos and heracross were in the games for next 5-6 years... and when I actually DID knew them I knew there were better pokemon than these two, so yeah..

Years
    Really?! I've never had a Togekiss in any of the games because I just don't like the Togepi line at all.

I see a lot of Granbulls for some reason!

Years
    Well I had an Ampharos in HeartGold because Mareep was the first Electric Pokemon I'd come across. By the time I'd come across Magnemite, I didn't really think it was useful, mainly because it could easily be annihilated by even moderately powered ground moves, thanks to their lack of Levitate and their 4x weakness against Ground-type moves. Besides, Ampharos (at least from my experience) has a good movepool and good stats, so I kept it on my team. :3

I used an Ampharos in SS, but boxed her for my Manectric after getting the National Dex.

My brother's playing HeartGold and he still has Ampharos.

AustInsane

Breeder
    Years
    I had an Ampharos on my team. It's my favorite electric type pokemon. I don't know if it's the best, but it's pretty cool.

Years
    Am I the only person who thinks Magmar are wierdly popular HGSS pokemon? It pretty much easy to raise up and learns the powerful moves around Lv30

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    I believe HG is the first time I actually ever used the Mareep line, in my Crystal I went with Magnemite instead. I'd still rather switch to a faster electric type. I honestly can't stand sending out an electric type that doesn't strike first. Ampharos is faster than Flaafy, but still not fast enough for me. Mareep and Flaafy are adorable, though. Much cuter than any of the electric rats.

Heracross? Can't speak for it. I think it's a really cool design but I just don't use bug types.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    Lugia.

Lugia, Lugia everywhere

Because Lugia is just plain awesome. A Psychic and Flying type? Beast XD. Plus its the figurehead of Silver and SoulSilver, so of course its going to be quite popular, I myself used one in SS until I got Mewtwo, rather have the offensive stats than the defensive, but im planning on using it later on my HeartGold ^_^.

I think Miltank is quite popular... And most, if not all legendaries >_>.

Arcaray

Tetris God.
    Years
    This time 'round, a lot of people are seeing the potential of Ampharos (which I'm sorry, has no resemblance to its sheep counterparts).
    This is because Ampharos is actually really good! If you're like me and like your team to be raised from as young as possible, and also happen to have a love for electric types, Ampharos is a perfect choice really.

Although mine sits in the box at level 60 after I got a Shinx in the Safari Zone...
    I still bring her out time to time though, and she's the only Pokemon I have with a Shiny Leaf!

Lugia.

Lugia, Lugia everywhere

Well yeah, it's a Fighting Type's worst nightmare!
    Never been a fan of the fighting types, me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2017
    Actually I Think Ampharos Is Cool Because I Used Him The First Time Here In Heart Gold And It Did Good In This Game
    But I Have One Question

Why Almost Everyone Choses Cyndaquil As Thier Starter And Uses The Red Gyarados As Thier Water Type Pokemon

Back