• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wet foot dry foot policy?

Cerese912

I heart pokemon :)
Years
  • I need some opinions about the wet foot dry foot policy. Do you think its unfair to Haitians and other migrants? Is it helpful? Should it be changed? Do you like it as is?

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Ummmm, it would be nice if you can say what it is, like a definition. That way, I can actually understand what your asking.

Sorry if that sounded it bit rude, no harm meant.

Cerese912

Years
  • Ummmm, it would be nice if you can say what it is, like a definition. That way, I can actually understand what your asking.

Sorry if that sounded it bit rude, no harm meant.

It basically says that if a Cuban makes it to America's shore, they can stay and are permanent legal immigrants. But it doesn't apply to anyone else. I live in Miami and I've been exposed to alot of island culture, including Haitian culture. So I'm a little biased. I need some else'd opinion on this. Haiti is in a worse situation than Cuba but they're still deported if they make it to America.

Years
  • It basically says that if a Cuban makes it to America's shore, they can stay and are permanent legal immigrants. But it doesn't apply to anyone else. I live in Miami and I've been exposed to alot of island culture, including Haitian culture. So I'm a little biased. I need some else'd opinion on this. Haiti is in a worse situation than Cuba but they're still deported if they make it to America.

The reason it is this way is because we have an embargo on trade and travel to Cuba (been that way since the early 1960s) and any attempt to reach America by a Cuban is considered a defection to the United States. Not so with most other nations, whose citizens can legally apply for immigration to the United States before leaving the shores of their home countries.

Nitrous Oxide

Korporate Amerika
    Years
  • The reason it is this way is because we have an embargo on trade and travel to Cuba (been that way since the early 1960s) and any attempt to reach America by a Cuban is considered a defection to the United States. Not so with most other nations, whose citizens can legally apply for immigration to the United States before leaving the shores of their home countries.
    Pretty much this. And if they're in worse situations, couldn't they apply for refugee status?

Cerese912

Years
  • Pretty much this. And if they're in worse situations, couldn't they apply for refugee status?

haitians who aren't deported are considered economic refugees
    but enough about all of this. I actually need opinions on the wet foot dry foot policy.

ShadowLeader

because shadows follow...
    Years
  • i used to live in Florida and i knew many Haitians who came over here from Haiti. And form the stories that they have told me, Haiti is one of the worst places in the world to live, and getting over here legally is extremely difficult.
    But as to the policy itself, I think that anyone escaping horrible conditions should be given citizenship, as long as they pay taxes and support their local economy by shopping at local stores and eating at local resturaunts and such....as long as people do that everyone should be allowed here, we have plenty of room:D

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Well, that's really the point of Border Patrol and such... The U.S. does not have room for everyone. I support anyone seeking refuge from problems which threaten their existence, and wish them luck in their time here, but you can't take care of everybody. Family and your country first, then take care of immigrants. I hope not to sound too callous to people, but many people come over here basically top mooch off of the work of other people. *coughMEXICANScough* Despite the sucky condition of our economy and such, we are still one of the best countries in the world today, by living standards. (IMO, it's actually pretty sad.) So, basically, it's fine to come on down, just pay the taxes, get a job, and try to go home when- if- your homeland improves.

Notes: Politics and borders tend to be difficult things to talk about. The mexican comment was only intended for the people who crossed the border illegally and basically do suck off of everyone else's work. Also, this is a blunt interpretation of my views of the subject. As the conversation wears on, I will likely be pointing out specific points, etc. of what I mean when I say ________ <insert here>

And, uh, [/Disclaimer] XD

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I'm pretty sure they are given refugee status, because to send them back would mean certain death under a totalitarian regime. I don't think they should be given American citizenship though, as said previously, America doesn't have room for everyone.

Shem

Bored...
    Years
  • You know, I actually think that it's great that they are escaping from those places, but I don't like them coming here, but where else are they gunna go? Mexico? At the same time illegal immigration really gets my goat so I feel like a hypocrite. I suppose it's different because they really have no other way to get here.

kittenpuncher

Flaming beacon of raw sexyness
    Years
  • The policy is mostly just for political support.

Also, if immigrants get here and do nothing wrong (pay taxes, etc), then they shouldn't be considered illegal. But the ones who should be legal are far and few between, which is the whole problem.

Cerese912

Years
  • Cool! I got lots of opinions and point of views! :) Keep them coming. I'm doing a report on this and I need lots of different opinions from different people.

Cerese912

Years
  • So you basically asked us to do your HW for you lol?

:t354:TG

lol yep I actually have to include different point of views in it and what better place than an awesome community like this who has users all over the world. Different cultures=different outlook on things

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    You know, I actually think that it's great that they are escaping from those places, but I don't like them coming here, but where else are they gunna go? Mexico? At the same time illegal immigration really gets my goat so I feel like a hypocrite. I suppose it's different because they really have no other way to get here.
    At the same time, I believe the United States should take a more active role in supporting the countries of South America. :|

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I hope not to sound too callous to people, but many people come over here basically top mooch off of the work of other people. *coughMEXICANScough*

"I hope I don't sound callous but *says something callously racist as hell*."

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    *eyeroll*
    What's your reasoning behind that? How was that racist? And, before answering, look up the word. Mexicans were an example, not "evreewun who is mexicun is ileegl migrunt"
    Put it on my profile, so this doesn't go to far astray.

ShadowLeader

because shadows follow...
    Years
  • Well, I live up north, so I really couldn't give less of a damn.

interesting....i live in the state below you and we have a big illegal immigrant problem..

also, when i said that we have plenty of room for everyone, i didnt actually mean everyone...
    but nonetheless we do have plenty of room....such as in the midwest...those states are huge and dont have populations to match...
    problem is that they keep filling up the already big cities....making things a bit overcrowded...so...might i suggest a change of address?

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • Lol, at least to my knowledge, we've never had a big illegal immigrant problem, unless you count a Canadian or two occasionally wandering in.

Would you be talking about Indiana or Ohio?

Back