• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What 10 things do you want to see invented by 2050?

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2021
    Be as creative as you can possibly be. Anything and everything is welcome. Also try and pick stuff that is currently impossible and not in the development stages.

string555

Banned
    Years
    Damn, I can think of some things, but ten is a lot...

1. True AI.
    2. A real hoverboard like in Back to the Future, not those stupid things with wheels. :/
    3. Planetary colonization. (Like on Mars)
    4. Synthetic meat machine. (BACOOOONNN!!) :P
    5. Artificial life (Not like AI, but organic life made in a laboratory from basically scratch)
    6. Deep VR (Such as in Sword Art Online, and the Otherland series of sci-fi books)
    7. Resurrected dinosaurs. (You know, Jurassic Park status)
    8. Extremely high-powered lasers like in the movies (We're getting there, it seems)
    9. Gravity control.
    10. 10000 Terabyte USBs, lol :P

All of these things except for maybe the tenth one seem doable in our lifetimes, IMO. :D

Years
    By 2050, I expect the travel industry to at least be revolutionized again to some great extent. What we have now works fine and has worked fine for a while (keyword: fine, not great), but I do wholly expect a more efficient way of getting from Point A to Point B. While I don't expect teleportation to really be a thing in our lifetimes yet (mostly because scientists have to figure out exactly how to break down our molecules and then have them reappear in a different area while coming out in one piece), I do expect a method of travel that's perhaps more efficient than planes.

... But maybe that's just wishful thinking. Like hell the airline industry is going to let something like that slide, at least without them offering to buy Jetson-esque technology or investing in it just so they can get profits out of it. Such is capitalism (at least here in the US).

AI is also another thing that will inevitably get more advanced year after year. By 2050, we can expect AI to replace most factory-level jobs, and AI would most likely get advanced to a point where they would predict our needs before we even really think about it (it's starting to really even become a thing now really, what with digital assistants in our phones and stuff).

Flying cars (in production currently) and Hoverboards (there are a few out there but I mean legitimate hoverboards and not gimmicky ones) I fully expect to become at thing in the next decade, nevermind the next few decades afterwards.

I think most of all though, I really do believe mobile phones would become just about obsolete in probably the next decade or so? You have to ask yourself at one point would people continue to invest in mobile phones in their current state? Eventually there's going to have to be some innovation so that each phone released isn't just bare incremental hardware upgrades; I expect telecommunication to become more advanced as well, but replaced with what, I'm not certain as of yet.

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Damn, I can think of some things, but ten is a lot...

1. True AI.
    2. A real hoverboard like in Back to the Future, not those stupid things with wheels. :/
    3. Planetary colonization. (Like on Mars)
    4. Synthetic meat machine. (BACOOOONNN!!) :P
    5. Artificial life (Not like AI, but organic life made in a laboratory from basically scratch)
    6. Deep VR (Such as in Sword Art Online, and the Otherland series of sci-fi books)
    7. Resurrected dinosaurs. (You know, Jurassic Park status)
    8. Extremely high-powered lasers like in the movies (We're getting there, it seems)
    9. Gravity control.
    10. 10000 Terabyte USBs, lol :P

All of these things except for maybe the tenth one seem doable in our lifetimes, IMO. :D

YES I want something like SAO that's not simply VR, but you can do... pretty much anything. that would be amazing!

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Some of these are more or less realistic than others, but they're all things I want to see.

1. Mind uploading
    2. Immortality or failing that, perfected cryonics
    3. Human cloning
    4. Full VR (all senses, or at least sight/sound/touch)
    5. Working genetic modification of fully grown humans
    6. Cybernetics
    7. Terraforming of the moon and Mars and possibly beyond
    8. Deep space seeding/colonization
    9. Artificial sentience/artificial sentient lifeforms
    10. Believable virtual intelligences (in other words, being able to program an intelligence so that it's believably sentient even if it's not)
    11. A usable and virtually undepletable form of energy
    12. Alternative form of biological energy (in other words, an alternative to food)
    13. A way to do without sleep without any negative health impacts
    14. Better forms of short and long-distance travel
    15. Cures for most diseases

Back