• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What annoys you about hacks?

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    there are a ton of things that annoy me about hacks, but here are the two biggest:

1) fakemon (i dunno...i just like the real pokemon better...)

2) when the storyline is made by editing the existing text in the game (its still the same game except with different words!)

Years
  • I don't mind hacks with the original Fire Red/ Ruby/ Emerald tiles. However I hate incomplete roofs. You know those purple houses in the Sevii Islands? It's when they don't have the top part of it and it looks incomplete. Yet no one seems to notice and it's like nothing matters. An example is the houses of Blackthorn City and the player's house in Liquid Crystal. I don't mind it in Pokemon WARPED even though it has it. Probably the originality and Lance being mentioned and probably appearing. :O

kaosforever2008

J@CK 0f @LL TR@D35
    Years
  • Im just a gamer and have no interest in making my own game, so cut me some slack here, but one thing i can say i dont like so far is when they put a really strong pokemon as your starter because it takes longer to level up.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2011
    I originally came here a few days ago looking for some good hacks to play. I wanted something finished that I could just play through as I wanted a bit of a change from the Nintendo games.. my issues with hacks are:

1) I'm a perfectionist.. so things like bad grammar and tile errors really annoy me.

2) The same old 8 badges, evil team, etc. routine can at times be annoying, but at other times can be done very well.. same with Fakemon, they're alright if they're done well, but if they aren't.. ugh

3) "Increasing difficulty" (which is not what you're doing at all) by increasing the levels of opposing trainers. Leveling up Pokemon is not exciting. You shouldn't have to grind very much to make it through a game. It does not make the game harder, it just makes it more boring. You waste a few hours running around fighting wild Pokemon - what exactly is difficult about that? It's just plain boring.

4) It also sucks when games aren't finished, although I completely understand why, as I've just started to attempt to make my own - it definitely takes a very long time and a lot of effort. It is very tough to do and I certainly don't blame anyone for not finishing a hack, just disappointing to see promising work with a great storyline and then not be able to play through it.

Years

• So basically people who don't speak English are stupid? You said they are unintelligent because they don't know English, well maybe they think the same about you because you can't speak their language.

I don't think that's what he meant. For example i'm dutch. I know i could make an english rom because i have been speaking english for years and i've had many classes. But my french is really horrible, i know i can't speak/write it very well.
    But because i know my french is terrible, i wouldn't try to create a french rom. I would let someone else translate it for me.

Point of it all: if you are not very good in some language, let someone translate the text for you. I also don't like to play hacks where half of the time you don't know where the story is going because it's translated litterally and makes no sense.

Making a rom in a language you're good at = > fine
    Let someone else translate your rom in a language you're not good at = > good idea
    Failing epicly translating, leaving people puzzled cos they don't understand your story = > not very bright...

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
    Years
  • I agree with Nightcrow, if you don't know squat about something, do something else. A great example of course is the old bootlegged pokemon Diamond. (BTW hup holland hup)

Stuff I don't like...Didn't I already post in this thread once? Can't remember. Grammar errors, lots of typos et al. To be honest, when I first started playing Brown, I quit because of the errors, and I only played it again because someone said I really should. Deep inside, I still hope Coolboyman will remove his errors...
    Missingno.'s. It hurts me to say this, but, looking at you again, Brown... Missingno. is a mistake in the games or something, and not a pokemon, or something like the ghosts. Sorry everyone, but I had to say it.
    Fakemon. These days, even Nintendo finds it hard making new pokemon, and some suck, so if they can't, you can't either. Theirs are canon at least.
    Bad tiles. It's the whole overworld we're talking about, so make it look nice.
    No updates. It's not like I want a beta, but at least some screenies from time to time, or simply a post that the project isn't dead.
    The hero talking. HE IS NOT SUPPOSED TO TALK

It's all I can think of now. Keep in ind that this is my personal opinion.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • Fakemon. These days, even Nintendo finds it hard making new pokemon, and some suck, so if they can't, you can't either. Theirs are canon at least.

i know this is your personal opinion, but that sounds like a fact.
    That point is also completely invalid. I dont want to start anything here, but just because nintendo can't make new pokemon, no-one can? thats a bit of a strong thing to say. I suggest you look at some fakemon not from just rom hacking, but the game development section too, and then tell me that ours aren't canon.

it might seem that im taking this personally, but i cant stand most hacks which DONT include fakemon.... What are you gonna add to the game if no new pokemon?

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
    Years
  • A brand new story. To me, that's the only thing that matters, all the other stuff are aestatics and/or gimmicks. Noone plays the original games for the story, haha, so that's where hacks come in.
    But okay, it's kind of biased to say fakes suck, so let me say it differently: I do not find them necessary.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • Reuse of old sprites/scripts for no apparent reason (ESPECIALLY the player characters and the rival; I actually REFUSE to play hacks that keep the player character sprite the same unless they're Yellow remakes on a FR/LG base or similar.)

Diablerie

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
  • My pet peeve is continous grammar mistakes. One or two is fine, everyone stuffs up sometimes, but when nearly every sentence has a grammatical error, I find it really hard to play that game.

The other thing I hate is repetitiveness. I love Pokemon Ruby Destiny: Rescue Rangers, but there are parts of the game that are just so darn monotonous. You have to redo levels, like the Sinister Woods or Green Hill like 4 or 5 times each. The game has a very awesome storyline and some good scripts, but I hate the repetiveness.

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    What annoys me about hacks? Ugh... let me think...

- Looking for Fire Red styled tiles, 98,7% are HGSS styled tiles... and that annoys me a lot.

- Creating a structure for my region (but I've never tried to do it =P).

- Hexadecimal, hexadecimal, HEXADECIMAL (problem with tutorials, if there were hex editing video-tutorials :)).

Bye ^^

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • This is more like 'what annoys you about other hacks isnt it?

anyway if you think of it that way, then text editing takes the biscuit for me.
    aswell as sprite indexing...
    the rest i find rather fun, especially spriting and mapping.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • Fakemon. These days, even Nintendo finds it hard making new pokemon, and some suck, so if they can't, you can't either. Theirs are canon at least.

Ok, this is really bugging me now. NINTENDO DO NOT MAKE POKEMON!
    And actually, a lot of fakemon I have seen are better than Gamefreak's Pokemon.

Another thing that annoys me is something about the hacker themselves. If they are rude to people who try to help them to understand that their hack sucks.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years

• Ok, this is really bugging me now. NINTENDO DO NOT MAKE POKEMON!
    And actually, a lot of fakemon I have seen are better than Gamefreak's Pokemon.

Another thing that annoys me is something about the hacker themselves. If they are rude to people who try to help them to understand that their hack sucks.

This!
    This is the most sensible thing i've seen in this thread!

anthony12306

HackER In Progress
    Years
  • I hate hacks that start off great and then just simply fade away...
    I mean, (No offense to Zel, I understand he has a life) but whaen a rom as popular rom like Shiny Gold is abandoned, it just makes me mad...

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Bad grammar. Just a few mistakes are fine, but I hate it when I'm playing a hack that has horrible grammar every sentence.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • Remakes of GSC.
    How many are there in existence? It's getting tedious.

Fanboys.. General fanboys.
    the following fanboys really take the biscuit tho

-Fire starter fanboys
    -Legend Fanboys
    -Lucario Fanboys

grrrr.... If i see a legend or a choice of fire pokemon or a riolu as a starter my recycling bin immediately becomes around 0.5% fuller.

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
    Years
  • 4th or 5th gen Pokemon
    100% original tiles
    GSC remakes
    bad grammar and spelling
    bad palettes

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2014
    Inconsistent removal of pokemon (eg removing crobat, but not golbat). I stopped playing ruby destiny because of this, especially given they got rid of one of my favourite pokemon to make room for Finneon, and they didn't tell me this before I spent ages maxing out golbat's happiness.

Back