• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What appeals to you?

Redingard

The Rider Breeds Pokemon
Years
  • Did a glance at all the threads and noticed there hasn't been a thread for specific pet peeves or useful additions to Pokemon X/Y. I guess the general discussion of the games count, but it's kinda different. Kill dis thread if it isn't.

So, basically, what do you like or dislike about the 6th generation or Pokemon in general? I guess, for me, the lack of an option to mute music or certain sound effects. Or maybe the fact you can't look at the nature or IVs of Pokemon on the GTS. I mean, someone had a Ditto and said it had 4 perfect IVs and wanted a Tyranitar in return. In actuality, it had none. Annoying stuff like that. >:I

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    Yeah, the GTS should show if a pokemon has pokerus and it's nature/stats, why couldn't they make it this way.

Ashandarei

Siswai Aman
    Years
  • I'm a massive fan of Gen VI and there isn't anything that I outright dislike. Like, I still have nitpicks but between all the things this game did right (especially since I hated Gen V), makes me just happy to be playing pokemon again.

My favorite part of the game though has to be how the game changes around you and reacts to you gaining power/style. Especially with things like the Battle Chateau or Lumoise City.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
    Years
  • As others have said; the GTS is nice, but needs a massive overhaul. Nature, EVs, IVs, Pokerus, and held items should be shown.

Dumb ways of obtaining Pokemon with hidden abilities also irritates me.

James

Make it double!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    What appeals to me? Being able to dress-up my character.

Sooooooooooooooo many clothes are going to be bought...

I very much enjoy the dressing up part of the game as well. I wish they had more for Male characters cause the female have a HUGE selection to choose from. I love games that let you get into the customization of a characters so being able to get your hair cut, change your cloths, even choose your skin shade is very cool.

Another thing i am hugely impressed with is just the over all lay out of the game compared to the last couple of games. I'm not sure if anyone else felt this way but Black/White and Black/White 2 just had way to much going on as far as layout goes and it just didn't feel like a real Pokemon game to me. Not like X&Y they made it a lot better and its made me enjoy the games a thousand times more.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2013
    im not a fan of how u evolve certain pokemon.. I mean come on... do I really have to turn my 3ds upside down?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Personally, I'm a huge fan of the new mega-evolutions system. It gives the chance for all Pokémon to shine, especially those who haven't been payed much attention to in the past such as Mawile, Absol, Kangaskhan, Aerodactyl, Aggron, and so on. What I don't like about this concept is that mega-evolutions aren't permanent—they're only temporary. Once Pokémon are out of battle, they switch back to their regular form in an instant. d: Oh, and I also like Friend Safari!

Years
  • I know what you mean about the IV stats, I've been scammed by people claiming the ditto they have for trade has 4-5 perfect IVs and they turn out to just be around average :/. Also with the addition of all the new online functions I'm a little disappointed that theres no text chat option and only game chat, unless I missed it?

What appeals to me most though is how accessible breeding, trading and EV training is in this gen compared to previous gens.

Redingard

The Rider Breeds Pokemon
    Years
  • To further my argument on the GTS, I just lost my Zygarde to a "decent" Ditto. I will flip so many tables until I find another Zygarde to compensate.

Mega-Evolutions are nice, and sometimes offer some nice drawbacks as well. Gengar can no longer hide from Earthquake, and Ampharos gains a couple of weaknesses thanks to its Dragon type. Stuff like that.

Breeding is also easy to pick up on, and trading is easier than before. But then again, GTS friggin' sucks.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen May 2, 2022
    The thing I most dislike is probably the fact that you're always 10 lvls higher than your opponents.
    It's weird. Before I owned Y I read a lot about this. A lot of people said that they were always 10 lvl higher than the NPCs. I was a bit skeptic about this but now that I'm playing it myself it happened to me too. My team is always pretty much exactly 10 lvls higher than the NPCs. This can't be coincidence. They must have done that on purpose. But why?

Also I'm having a lot of problems finding things in Illumina city. I really don't like that city with the tons of useless cafés and all the side streets and alleyways.

-- Matt

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • The interface is awesome!

That has got to be the best improvement ever. I like some of the newer graphics, but they do leave me wanting still. The new pokemon are cool and many of the tweaks to the game's system do improve it a lot. But for once the touch interface is polished, finally. When the first DS games came out it was like they were bumbling around in the dark with the touch and button controls, leaving it feeling a bit incomplete. The new one feels like a complete interface, though sometimes a bit too complete with the customizing of the item menu that can be a bit annoying.

The story was also a really powerful one that left me in tears at the end, and the song, with the lyrics, was a very nice touch. Usually each new gen was more about finding all the new ones, this adds a bit more to the game, now there's more to look forward too in the next gens.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    I dislike the Exp. Share effecting all Pokemon. Honestly, there's times when you don't want a Pokemon to level up (say you're training in the Daytime and you want your Eevee to become an Umbreon.) Also, I think the Exp. Share makes your Pokemon level up a bit too fast, causing the game to get easy quickly. I haven't played not yet myself, but I've watched plenty of videos and talked to plenty of people who say the game was significantly easier than the previous games.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2013
    I dislike the Exp. Share effecting all Pokemon. Honestly, there's times when you don't want a Pokemon to level up (say you're training in the Daytime and you want your Eevee to become an Umbreon.)

Well there is a very common item called and eviolite that u could attach to an eevee... plus I didn't like the exp. Share till my friend Quinn... explained it to me. Ur getting way more experience than u were getting before.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • The Pokemon-amie is wonderful and I would like to see them expand on it. I'm still only 2 badges in the game, but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of Poke-interaction outside of it. It's like, GF finally utilizes 3D models, soooo... why can't I take tourist pictures of them instead of the trainer? Maybe you can later, I dunno. I appreciate that you can do some trainer videos with them, but they should let you pull from some of their other animations.

Also, not sure if you can do more fun frilly stuff with Pokemon like you can Furfrou. I get that there's 700 and then some of these things, but... I honestly couldn't care less if my trainer looked like Slenderman. Heck, if I could I'd choose to play a Pokemon who just decided s/he wanted to challenge the Elite Four because why not? Catching would work similarly to recruiting via Mystery Dungeon, and that basically solves that end. Bottom line, like I always say, I don't play this series for the "wonderful interaction" of the non-Pokemon. Though I admit I enjoy that there's a storyline to follow this time around (I haven't played since Gen 3, so...). It makes me feel less like I'm playing with chess pawns.

Years
  • I always thought it would be a good idea if you could change what kind of pokeball your pokemon is stored in. I also think that you should be able to carry a 7th pokemon just for HM move usage. Having to teach pokemon I train HM moves has always been a pet peeve of mine. I also would like if there was a way to teach a pokemon you already leveled up some of it's egg moves, but maybe people wouldn't like that.

I do like the new EXP share though. If you leave it on all the time and use the same pokemon it will make you way too powerful. but I've found that if you change which pokemon you use it allows you to level up more pokemon than you would've been able to otherwise and without making the game too easy.

Back