• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What are some of your best memories?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • I mean, you can say if you liked or hated Gen 1, these games were the first ever pokemon games introduced, and were the games that most of the long-time pokemon fans first played. Whether you're building your ultimate team on Pokemon Blue, Red, or Green, or hanging out with your best pal Pikachu in Yellow, they set the tone for the future pokemon adventures!

What are some of your best memories?

That being said, what are some of your best / favourite memories from playing the Gen 1 pokemon games, whether they be bad memories, or good memories?

For example, I remember the agony of trying to beat the elite four. D: Though that was when I was playing Pokemon Yellow - all I did was train Pikachu and so, 4/6 my pokemon were pretty underleveled on beating them, haha. Still though, when I finally did, it was a great relief! A great challenge to be sure!

Porto

Survivor
    Years
  • I tried the Missingno glitch in Pokémon Blue when a friend told me about it. It ruined my save-game.
    A great memory is though how that friend and I together tried to figure out what were good pokes and which weren't. It was back in the day that we didn't have our own PC's and I think Serebii e.g. didn't even exist back then.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
    Years
  • A great memory is though how that friend and I together tried to figure out what were good pokes and which weren't. It was back in the day that we didn't have our own PC's and I think Serebii e.g. didn't even exist back then.

I actually remember playing R/B/Y back in 1998, 1999, and 2000 when they came out and having a walkthrough book to go along with it. It really helped figure out which Pokémon were which types and were super effective and weak against other types. I guess my memory and attention weren't too keen back in the 4th, 5th, and 6th grade, so the walkthrough book helped.

Fondest memory would have to be catching the three Legendary Birds and just general gameplay, spending hours on the phone with my friends talking back and forth about what we were doing in the game, getting together to play through the games and trade Pokémon with the link cable & battle, and being able to play the game anywhere because GameBoys are obviously portable. Now I still do this all the time but I use an emulator on my iPhone, which is even better because it has better color and a backlight {:3}

These were the GameBoys I used to own. I still have the Lime Green Pocket because it was just TOO COOL to get rid of... still works too! ;)

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    obviously the first memory i have of red/blue was the glitches. but the horrible back sprites. i remember looking at Charmeleon's back sprite and not even close to resembling the real thing. it just looked like dragonite with a horn.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
    Years
  • When it comes to my memories of Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow, my best memory would have to be the memory of when I played Pokemon Blue for the very first time. That was because that was when I first became interested in Pokemon.
    What are some of your best memories?

This has got to be the most vague and obvious answer one could give to a question like this. Are you trollin?

Years
  • I think my best memory was going through Seafoam Islands. It was a strangely specific memory. I got legitimately lost in there and didn't have any means of getting myself out (forgetting that if I black out I'll be warped back). 10-year-old-me was bad at keeping track of where I was.

I thought, "Did I really screw up? I saved a while ago... Am I lost in here forever?" and eventually I came cross Articuno. I had never seen a one-time legendary Pokemon, but I was excited to see it as I felt like I was making progress in the cave. After a long, drawn-out battle I finally captured it. By this time my Blastoise was out of PP and I relied on my newly found Articuno to guide my way out.

I don't think anything will quite match that excitement since now I'm older and know about escape ropes and the like... Plus I'm less daunted by strength puzzles. I have a bit of a soft spot for Articuno for this reason.

Sirfetch’d

Just the pure nostalgia of the music makes me want to cry sometimes. If i was able to hold my original gameboy and blue version I would literally burst out in tears the second I turned it on ;~; I remember being stuck in my house forever because I couldn't figure out how to leave the damn thing haha(I was so young!) Owning my first mon, Squirtle, is probably my fondest memory.

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • The radio from gold. Ah... The nostalgia. Had to get a new copy of gold recently. The moment I got the radio card I just left my gameboy advance playing the lucky number show for a few hours while I did other things.

Zachella-chan

Winter is coming
    Years
  • My best memories of these games were mainly the beginning, maybe the second gym at the furthest. This is simply because during my first play through, I was only about 6 years old and sucked at video games, therefore I didn't really have the patients or ability to get much further. ^^'

Years
    • Seen today
    Catching my first Pokémon (Pidgey, Route 1), defeating a friend in battle and catching Mewtwo.

Years
  • Figuring out how to use cut in Red was great, getting past the Rocket Hideout was even better.. To this day, when I play a Kanto-game it only really gets fun after Vermillion because I still get the same sense I once had as a kid of really making progress. Mind you, we've only got English games in a non-English country here, so I didn't understand a thing of what was actually going on xD

And just playing with my friend from across the street. We played RBY and GS for long, long afternoons underneath a parasol in the garden. Those were the times :3

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I fell in love with my starter (Squirtle) quite quickly, so that was memorable, as was the moment when it finally reached level 100 after beating the Elite Four over and over again. I also recall getting lost in Mount Moon, getting knocked out right when I found the stairs I needed to take, and then deciding to restart the game rather than going back through Mount Moon to check out an earlier passage I'd missed. The passage turned out to be the road to Victory Road, and I was dismayed to learn that even once I got one badge, I needed more to make more progress. (Why I decided to erase my whole game and start over just to explore that passage is beyond me, but oh well.)

I also recall struggling with Rock Tunnel (don't think I knew where to get flash at first, though I figured that out), and getting myself lost in Seafoam Islands, trying to lose all of my PP and struggle myself to death because I saved without an Escape Rope, and finally staggering out before knocking myself out. Moral of the story? Never enter a cave without an escape rope, and preferably, don't save in caves at all. While I eventually got over the cave saving thing as I got a bit older, the escape rope thing is still a rule I follow, even though I rarely use them anymore.

I remember helping my friend catch Zapdos after putting it to sleep and using four Ultra Balls. Mine, on the other hand, evaded something like 30 Ultra Balls before I could catch it.

And then, there was the morning my friend and I headed out with our master balls to catch Mewtwo, and I creatively named mine "TWO". I suppose that was better than my friend's naming idea, "MEW."

On a subsequent playthrough (after saving my old file to my Mega Memory Card--I should find it sometime), I recall learning about Missingno and introducing my friends to the idea. It was neat to be the knowledgeable one, but at the same time, that wasn't a particularly good memory because the result was a glitchy game and no challenge (thanks to nigh-unlimited master balls). I later restarted my game and played it through properly, eventually completing my Pokedex several years later.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    Probably getting Missingno and it had the Bird move XD

At least it was better to clone rare candies and PP ups so that they because very useful...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • - Pidgey's RB sprite scaring me
    - Thinking that pressing A repetitively made Pikachu's Thundershock stronger in Yellow
    - Thinking the goal of Yellow was to take back the Eevee your rival snagged from you
    - Never getting past Brock in Yellow then losing the damn game, lol
    - Eating pancakes at my grandmother's while traversing through Mt. Moon with Charmeleon in Red
    - Thinking that Mewtwo was roaming about Pokemon Mansion...scared me, lol
    - My dad buying me Blue for $2 the day before he had leave for months
    - Pocket Monsters Green being my first online purchase

I think that covers a memory for all the gen I games. n__n Yellow was actually my first Pokemon game, but I lost it without even getting past Brock. I bought Red and Silver from my bus driver's son for $5 each when I was 11. Both those games came at the right time. I was going through some crazy divorce stuff and being forced out of my house and those were all I was able to bring with me until we were able to go to the house and get the rest of our belongings. So those games have a lot of personal value for me. I got Yellow and Crystal from my aunt for Christmas one year...really surprised she bought me those honestly, cause she isn't the video game type. My dad bought me Blue the day before he had to leave for quite a long time, so that also holds sentimental value to me. I played it pretty much every day that he was away. And then Green was the first thing I bought online for myself, so it's not really sentimental, but more of a milestone for me cause I was always too afraid to order things offline when I lived with my mom because I was afraid she'd yell at me for not making wise purchases or something idk.

But yeah, those are some of my more memorable moments with my gen I games, including some memories not really specific to the actual games, but just kind of how they shaped me or helped me through something. :)

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    Honestly my favorite memory of these games were Christmas morning. I had already opened up my gameboy pocket, and had yet to get a game for it. My mom gave me my final gift, and when I opened it I found pokemon blue. At that time I had no idea what kind of fond memories I would come to make with the pokemon franchise. However I still remember how awesome of a feeling it was turning the game on for the very first time and having no idea what to expect, no game guide or spoilers to know where to go.

I can honestly say I haven't felt a new feeling like that one since I played gold for the very first time. It's sad, yet great at the same time.

Years
  • RBY: It was 1999... I was 6 years old... I did the old man glitch. I got a super team. And I thought I was SO good.

I also remember my first time when I got through Victory Road without any help. It was a great feeling back then.

GSC: Passing Sudowoodo! What a feeling! :D

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    My best memory honestly is that I managed to beat Pokemon Red a few months ago which was my first time beating a Pokemon game ever since I started playing Pokemon around 13-14 years ago.

Back