• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what are you currently reading?

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
    Years
    Ah, I have so much to read and so much I want to read and I hate it because I have no time to read.

I started Stephen King's It last month or so, and I'm still only 200 pages in. I thought I was actually going to finish this one quickly because I read 100 pages on the first day, but I slowly had other things to consume my time, so now it's just sitting there. I do read it in the bathroom if I remember to bring it. It's the perfect book for bathroom reading because there are a lot of places to pause.

I'm also reading the James Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans which actually isn't as bad as everyone says. I don't know about other people, but I don't find scalping and knocking people out with tomahawks to be boring. I was reading this for my English class, but I still have 100 pages to go before I completely finish it.

I also had to read Frederick Douglass' narrative for my English class, but I caught food poisoning last week and it's really hard to read when you're sick (in case you don't know), so I have about 50 more pages to go before I finish it.

Now I have Emerson's Self-Reliance essay to read for English class and luckily it's short, so I'll finish it by tonight.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I unfortunately couldn't read Jurassic Park since seven pages were missing. That's the trouble with getting second-hand books.

So I read Next, another Crichton book. I had been wanting to read this one since it came out, but never took the time to read it. Finally did, and enjoyed it. It's just amazing how close real life is to that.

Now I'm reading The Great Train Robbery. This one seems to be moving slower than Next did, but it's still a good book.

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
    Okay, I just read Twilight and New Moon a few hours ago and I regret reading that book. Not well written IMO.

For now, Im just reading some nice bible passages to cheer me up. xD

Years
    I just picked up I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (Wikipedia tells me she also wrote The Hundred and One Dalmations - how 'bout that?) which I tried reading a while back but couldn't get into for some reason. It's much better this time around.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
    Okay, I just read Twilight and New Moon a few hours ago and I regret reading that book. Not well written IMO.

For now, Im just reading some nice bible passages to cheer me up. xD

Although I'm not religious I do enjoy reading the bible. Numbers Chapter 22 has a talking donkey! What more could you ask for?

I just picked up I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (Wikipedia tells me she also wrote The Hundred and One Dalmations - how 'bout that?) which I tried reading a while back but couldn't get into for some reason. It's much better this time around.

Ahh... Do you like it? I found it to be lacking something. I havn't been able to put my finger on it, but definately something. If that is your cup of tea then may I recommend "Gaudy Night" by Dorothy L. Sayers, "The Blue Castle" by Lucy Maude Montgomery and especially "Cold Comfort Farm" by Stella Gibbons. The latter was the only one that I ended up liking at all, but you might be different.

I'm currently re-reading "The Cement Garden" by one of my favourite authors Ian McEwan. I havn't read it in about six years and it's still as chilling as ever. Any fans of Sebastian Faulks or Iris Murdoch may get into it quite well but it is like placing your foot into a freezing, murky pond. The narrative especially is horrifying, but the kind of horryfing that infatuates the reader. A really good book.

After it I am going to attempt to read some graphic novels. I've only ever read "V For Vendetta", "Watchmen" and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" all of which I enjoyed. I was recommended by a housemate to read "The Umbrella Academy" but I'm pretty sure it's far too emo for me to like. Has anyone else read it? Maybe they could give me a heads up?

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
    Im reading Cujo by steven king
    Just got up to where cujo bites the mom in the car

Its the best book ive have ever read! highly recomend it.

I actually took your advice and bought Cujo.
    Got 52 pages in and noticed it was a misprint. It went from pages 1-52, then repeated 1-20, and skipped to 85.
    I was pissed when I saw that.

I just bought a new copy though, so i'm continuing on tomorrow. So far, it's excellent.

I also picked up Kings The Long Walk, Orwells Animal Farm and 1984, and a huge image heavy book on famous guitarists. It's called The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Guitar Heroes, and it's huge. Filled with nice photos and short biographies on the guitarists.

Years
    I'm actually only reading one book at the moment. xP I'm reading Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie, which is actually much easier to read then it initially looked.

We're also reading a book called Witness in class. It's much better than most of the books we get assigned to read, but it's still a pretty easy book since it's written in poetry format.

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years
    Well, I've sort have been on-and-off reading these days...I've started reading a few books, but I haven't actually picked them up in a while to finish them.

There's The Gargoyle, The Last Temptation of Christ, Cockroach...

And I've just started Milton's Paradise Lost for my English Classics class.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
    I've given up on my graphic novels quest and instead picked up John Kennedy Toole's "A Confederacy of Dunces". It is outstanding! It its now my joint favourite novel with Alistair Gray's "Lanark". You must read this book it is so well written. Just when I thought there were no books that could really get a stranglehold on me this came along. Just read it!

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2010
    Now a days, I am reading a very good book "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" penned down by J K Rowling. I have just finishes fifth book of this series. All books of this series are so interesting. I am enjoying reading this book.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
    Since my last post, I've finished Cujo, Animal Farm, and The Long Walk.

Cujo is now one of my favorite Stephen King books. I finally understand why people hold it in high regard.

Even though Animal Farm is really short, it is definitely in my top 3 books of all time.

I finished The Long Walk last night. It was very a despressing, disturbing story. The first 100 pages were a struggle, but the other 270 flew by. If anyone's looking for a relatively short King read, I'd recommend this.

Starting 1984 on Monday.

Since this post is almost the same as the one I made on another forum, I'll ask the same question I did there. I have a few unread Stephen King books that aren't on my To Read list. I have: Needful Things, The Dark Half, The Tommyknockers, and Dreamcatcher. Has anybody read any of these and recommend them? I'm not sure where to start.
    I was excited about the Tommyknockers until I saw part of the movie. I'm not big on Science Fiction.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2011
    Currently, I'm reading The Dragon King Trilogy by Stephen R Lawhead. Amazing series for anyone who likes the Inheritance series, LOTR, Harry Potter, etc.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    i am currently reading the book in the vampire diaries.
    i think i like the show better, the main character kinda annoys me in the book. but it is getting better i think.

Alyssachu

Trainer in training! ;D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 15, 2012
    Well... I dont really read BOOKS, heh. I wish I could. But my attention span hates it. =/
    But I bought the whole Azumanga Daioh omnibus a few weeks ago! I haven't read any of it in about a week, though.
    So I'm not done with it! I also downloaded the entire Akira series. I haven't gotten through it all yet either.

Back