• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Books What Are you currently reading?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
  • I'm pretty sure the last one died. That's why I'm making a new one. Maybe this one will get more attention than the last one, given that this thread is a fresh new start.

Anyway, post what you are currently reading. :3 If you want, you can tell us if you like the book so far and all that other stuff!

----------​

I'm reading Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan. I like it so far because it's really comical, but there's a lot of struggle as well. I won't spoil too much on the book though. :P

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • I'm reading 'The Ocean at the End of the Lane' by Neil Gaiman and I. Love. This. Book. It's so charming and somehow subtly tragic as hell in ways I didn't expect.

I've also been on and off reading War & Peace for a couple years haha. Ha. H :( It's so good but needs a lot of commitment...

EDIT: Finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane and I highly, highly recommend it. So beautiful *cry*
    Currently catching up on some Edgar Allan Poe.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm currently reading A Song of Ice and Fire right now, I'm on A Dance with Dragons Part 1, they're so good.

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
    Years
  • I started the Angel Catbird series with Margaret Atwood. It's her first time writing a comic, and it's Golden Age comics in spirit. I wish the artist would draw more detailed backgrounds, unfortunately.

Echidna

Years
  • Just read The Lake by Tananarive Due
    :thonk:
    So that was weird. But good?

Just started This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

EDIT: I have a love/hate relationship with the main character of this novel, which is interesting... I'm as eager to witness his downfall as I am to watch him rise.

EDIT 2: This book is starting to feel a lot like War & Peace. It's flipped entirely on its head now, thematically and otherwise. It's really good though, very clearly more of a character study than anything else. Amory is so interesting and I absolutely ADORE how FSF describes scenery <3 <3

Last edited:

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I actually started reading Isle of the Lost by Melissa De La Cruz. This is mostly because I've been obsessed with the Descendants movies, especially after recently seeing the second one... which I adored so much for certain reasons lol. <3

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Currently reading Everyman and Other Miracle and Morality Plays, which is a collection of four plays from the 14th and 15th centuries. The language can be a little difficult to get through, but there's footnotes.

Also started to re-read the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane, and I'm not far in So You Want To Be a Wizard.

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    reading a clockwork orange atm, the first of thirteen books for my english a-level. it's... weird, like, seriously weird, and i'm having trouble keeping up with it at times but i wouldn't say it's terrible? it's a classic after all so i'd feel bad if i never actually finished reading through it.

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
    Years
  • I started March vol. 2. It's John Lewis's autobiography in graphic novel form. It covers his participation in the Civil Rights movement in the US in the 60s to his work as a senator now. Really powerful and moving. I met the artist Nate Powell one time, and he's incredibly talented with a nice, fluid style.

reading a clockwork orange atm, the first of thirteen books for my english a-level. it's... weird, like, seriously weird, and i'm having trouble keeping up with it at times but i wouldn't say it's terrible? it's a classic after all so i'd feel bad if i never actually finished reading through it.

I love A Clockwork Orange. Just pay extra attention to the made-up words and phrases. Hopefully your copy has a glossary in the back.

Echidna

Years
  • Started The Time Machine by H.G. Wells today. So far so good? It feels a lot like a hybrid between Brave New World and Gulliver's Travels without the satire...

Either way, it's pretty short and I'm enjoying it so far.

EDIT: That was a pretty good book! Not great, but interesting enough. Kind of. Idk I feel like its appeal is largely due to it being credited as having popularized time travel and coining the term 'time machine.'

Like it's not a bad book by any stretch, but the narrative was all over the place, very scattered, and the plot was largely uninteresting. Idk. Idk idk idk.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Right now I'm re-reading my all-time favourite book The Outsiders. We had to read it in grade 8 and I've loved it ever since. If you haven't read it, I strongly suggest you do. Or watch the movie, its got one of the best casts I've ever seen.

Years
  • I just finished The Three Body Problem, which was kinda meh, and started Homeward Bounders by Diane Wynne Jones. I'll read anything by her.

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
    Years
  • Currently, I'm reading Wolf Nation by Brenda Peterson. It's an interesting (and sometimes saddening) non-fiction book about wolves in the U.S. More specifically, it focuses on the struggle to get them re-introduced in the wild, and the opposition they face. The book isn't all gloom, however, and various successes and positive experiences are also presented.

I watched a documentary on wolves and Yellowstone, and since Peterson spends a notable amount of time describing this case (up to the point I've reached, anyway), I can put "names to the facees" persay. It helps make the read more immersive, though it's great even without this factor.

Back