• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What Ball Did You Use To Catch Lugia/Ho-Oh?

solastalgia

dancing through life
    Years
    Lugia was easy to catch for me, I just used an Ultra Ball. Ho-Oh, however, took forever and I ended up giving up and just using my Master Ball after my 2948329743rd reset.

Slowking Bro

Trainer of Underrated Pokemon
    Years
    I Was On Fire!

I had to use my Master Ball :disappoin. I raised an entire team of Feraligatr, Pidgeot, Ninetales, Espeon, Forretress, and Nidoking. They were all only in their early thirties by the time I got to the Whirl Islands, and Lugia was tearing through them. I decided I wasn't going to be catching it without serious amounts of luck, so I just used my Master Ball on it.

Years
    Ho-oh was a pain to catch, used god knows how many ultra balls and a few resets before finally catching it.

As for Lugia, it was strangely very easy. Paralysed, down to little HP, caught with about 3-4 heavy balls.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I do not have Pokemon HeartGold Version yet, but I plan to catch both Lugia and Ho-oh with Master Balls, as I designate the usage of them for the mascot legendaries (sans Suicune, who I will probably catch with either a Fast Ball or an Ultra Ball, the latter of which I reserve for the trios).

Plus, the Master Ball release animation in Generation III looked epic IMO: a grand, triumphant shower of stars. Fitting for a powerful legendary Pokemon. :D :t249: :t250:

Lati-Fan95

I completed my HG Pokedex!^^
    Years
    Ho-oh was one of the hardest Pokemon to catch in my whole life as a Pokemon trainer: I tried it like twenty times (without the accidental faints) and although I had it down to like 5 hp everytime, it never wanted to stay in my Ultra Balls and just ended up beating itself with Struggle every singe try...^^ Then, mad as I was (was a hard day for me before when I tried it), I just threw my Master Ball!^^

Lugia was quite the opposite: I weakened it like I did it with Ho-oh but unlike Ho-oh, it stayed in the fifth Dusk Ball... And I used to think capturing Lugia will be hell after that with Ho-oh...^^

It's really strange, it seems to be like that with lots of guys here in the thread... Wonder why...

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
    I have HG, so Ho-Oh came first.
    Ho-Oh: Ultra Ball (burned through many of them)
    Lugia: Dusk Ball

Now, I have a friend who had great luck using a Heavy Ball on Lugia as well.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2010
    I always gotta catch my pokemon with normal pokeball its just a habbit i don't use any of the other balls

2nd-Thanatos

Watchmen of Sector 2.
    Years
    Always try to use different Pokeballs to catch the legendaries, especially the Game's mascot. I have Heart Gold, but I knocked out Ho-oH during our first battle. I captured it later after beating the Elite Four, using the Master Ball (even through, it was at 1 HP, paralyzed, under the effects of Atraction and after 3 or 4 Flashes from my Hypno. But I got out of Dusk Balls and Ultra Balls).

As for Lugia, I came much more loaded (hundreds of pokeballs. Many types xD). Ended up catching it with Heavy Ball, but I was pretty afraid. Had only 5 more Heavy balls and then I would have to use Heal Balls. FUUUUU, that was close xD

universalconsole

Trainer And Trainee
    Years
    I tried getting my ho-oh and wasted all my great,ultra,heavy,love,quick,fast and even net and nest balls.
    I swear i used about 40 balls.
    Then my little brother comes, throws 1 premier ball and then the catchy caught song comes up
    What the Heck!!

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I always use ultraballs for the legendaries..too lazy/impatient to try one of the more complicated pokeballs.

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I tend to use Ultra Balls when catching legendaries on any game (Mewtwo with Ultra Ball on Red = Win).

Ho-oh was captured with an Ultra Ball as usual.

Lugia, however, was captured in a Nest Ball. Yeah, try and explain that one. :\

Back