• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What came first, the Arceus or the Mew? (Theory discussion)

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
  • Arceus came first. its pretty straight forward. yes mew is the ancestor of all pokemon but it also said that all pokemon are sub species. that is why they can inter breed with each other. it is also said that there where many mew but they died off or transformed to make room for new species of pokemon

It is all explained here;
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_world

GoldMalik

Master Of Them All
    Years
  • I believe Mew came first (and he did), but his looks and nature aren't really that of a god, (No one would believe he's a god) so he made Arceus to be the god and gave the status to her. He still created everything, though

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
    Years

• If you actually take the time to read what is in this link above. It is all explained. Mew IS the ancestor of all Pokemon, And what i mean by that is ALL Pokemon came from mew. simple as that. This includes E.T Pokemon such as Solrock, Lunatone Ect. Because Mew's theory is that it isn't limited to the Pokemon world's 'Earth' it is portrayed as being able to travel through space.

Arceus IS the creator. & Mew IS the mother of all Pokemon. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    If you actually take the time to read what is in this link above. It is all explained. Mew IS the ancestor of all Pokemon, And what i mean by that is ALL Pokemon came from mew. simple as that. This includes E.T Pokemon such as Solrock, Lunatone Ect. Because Mew's theory is that it isn't limited to the Pokemon world's 'Earth' it is portrayed as being able to travel through space.

Arceus IS the creator. & Mew IS the mother of all Pokemon. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

While I agree with you that the facts are laid out there, it's still fun to ponder possible other ways it could have worked.

Plus, not everyone believes that, for example, the Christian bible is all true. Maybe the history of pokémon's evolution that the people of the pokémon world calls truth isn't all there is to it either ;)

Years
  • Plus, not everyone believes that, for example, the Christian bible is all true. Maybe the history of pokémon's evolution that the people of the pokémon world calls truth isn't all there is to it either ;)

That's what I was going to suggest. The Arceus myth seems to be a religion with their following mainly set in Sinnoh. I don't recall the Unova games making any reference to the 'world creator', and Arceus was already 4 years old by then.

On another note; Bulbapedia seems to suggest that Arceus only created Sinnoh, which may imply the ancient Sinnohites weren't big on exploration and thought their region was the whole world.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    If you actually take the time to read what is in this link above. It is all explained. Mew IS the ancestor of all Pokemon, And what i mean by that is ALL Pokemon came from mew. simple as that. This includes E.T Pokemon such as Solrock, Lunatone Ect. Because Mew's theory is that it isn't limited to the Pokemon world's 'Earth' it is portrayed as being able to travel through space.

The 'explanation' that was written in the Bulbapedia article that you have provided a link to are all based from mythologies and legends of various regions. It is unknown whether or not they are true. Not that I have another information to base upon, it's just that we aren't part of the development team (if you are, speak now or forever hold your grudge) and whether or not these legends are true, we can only speculate. Speculation, after all, is the point of this thread, is it not? Don't throw books if you don't know where you're throwing it at.

Here's a more concrete history of the Pokémon world by the way, in case anyone of you wants to read. Again, this is just speculation based from canon legends and mythologies.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Haha. Yeah, I got the impression that Arceus only created Sinnoh. But then in Hg/Ss your character gets to see him create life so...he's the creator. I would probably agree with the general theory of Arceus creating all the other legends to form Time, Space, Earth etc. (perhaps equipping them with the Plates). Then he creates Mew to populate the universe. Mew interacts with the plates, now scattered around, and creates ancestors of certain types, then nature runs its course.
    And Deoxys is an anomaly, a Mew affected by a virus or something.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
    Years
  • Arceus is sort-of like God, yes?
    And Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon, yes?
    I believe Arceus gave birth to Mew and extracted various parts of Mew to create all other Pokemon (would explain how Mew has DNA from all Pokemon.)

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Well, for evolution to happen, you technically need something to breed with, but you know, PokeLogic. I'd assume Arceus, and then Arceus made two Mews or something and it went on from there. Or maybe Arceus and Mew...

Years
  • I like to think that Mew is like Prometheus from Greek mythology, and Arceus is like Cronos. I know they are from different generations of deities, but I think my explanation makes a small amount of sense. Arceus created the cover legendaries, such as Dialga, Rayquaza, etc., who are like the Titans, as well as the Mew was one of those, as was Prometheus. Mew created the Pokemon, like Prometheus created the human race.
    That's my theory, and I know it has some major holes, such as the Gods of Olympus and Prometheus stealing fire and giving it to the humans.

danks_

NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
    Years
  • I think this is avery good way to explain the origin and who came first :p

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2013
    It says Arceus made all pokemon (including Mew) however Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Im apart of the development team. :3
    Maybe you can elaborate and give us some answer to the question of this thread, then? Because otherwise your post isn't really relevant here.

@ danks_ Your image has a broken link, at least I can't see it.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
    Years
  • totally arceus comes first, you may deny it but its still true just like evolution in the real world

CrypticX

...a lonely Trainer
    Years
  • Arceus was by all means first. It created the Sinnoh region and possibly the entire Pokémon world, the lake guardians Uxie, Azelf, Mesprit, and the creation trio Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. Because of this, Arceus is thought to be one of the most long-lived of all Pokémon species. It has the power to recreate the creation trio as well, presumably to guard the dimensions when a Trainer has caught one of them. Mew is the ancestor of all non-Legendary pokemon.

Well apart from that, i have been thinking...all the pokedex entries state that Arceus created the pokemon world, right? And that Mew has the DNA of every single Pokémon contained within its body, right? Also, it is said that rl animals don't exist in the Pokemon Universe, which brings me to this. How were humans brought to existence? I mean, chimps don't exist so they cant have evolved from them. Well, mew awfully resembles an embryo so who knows....

Who knows...

EDIT : taken from bulbapedia
    "...Many years after, the prehistoric era begins and the first prehistoric Pokémon come into being. Scientists have proven that prehistoric Pokémon roamed the land, as Fossils and other archaeological remains have been found to contain the DNA of Pokémon. It is possible that the Mew population may have decreased at this stage, as they slowly gave way to other Pokémon species. Evolution has come, separating humans from Pokémon, to create the first humans..."

Yeah...

Last edited:
    Back