• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What did you name your Pokemon, your rival and yourself?2.0!

Years
    In Platinum, I named my character Nichole (which is my real name and has been a trend for all my main playthroughs), my rival named Barry (his default name) and my starter was a Chimchar, nicknamed him Ichiru (after a character from Vampire Knight) and it was my first time nicknaming my Pokemon.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    In Platinum I've named my hero Joe, since it's my name, lol. I sometimes use random names but most of the time it's my name. The rival's name is Barry because I was too lazy to think of something and I don't nickname my Pokemon unless I'm doing a challenge.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Diamond 1:
    Hikari
    Don't remember rival :(

Diamond 2:
    Denitra
    David (idk why...I only know one David and he's NOTHING like the rival lmfao)

Pearl:
    Donovan
    idr
    Though, this is a used Pearl and I just kept the same file, so I technically didn't pick these names out. Can't remember the rival though ugh!

HeartGold 1:
    Jared
    DON'T REMEMBER AGAIN UGH

HeartGold 2:
    Kaliope
    Coach! (I AM A MONSTER...COACH.)

SoulSilver:
    Denir
    Squid (...idk)

Flute

Full-time loser
    Years
    Ever since I was a wee little tyke, I named myself "Terry". My rival was always just a random name, most of the time it was "ROCKET". I never name my pokemon, but rather I catch a single one of that pokemon + a ditto. I feel naming the pokemon makes it "my" pokemon, as opposed to an individual pokemon. I guess I'm a bit backwards there, huh? :P

Years
    I always give my own character my own name, but I always write my name in capital letters. That is because when I was a kid, I did not know you could change the letter type so I wrote every name in full capitals :P That way you can see that it is my real account, if my name is not in capitals it is not mine :P

Anyway, in heartgold my characters name is KJELD, my rivals name is ??? (as a tribute to silver, where I thought ??? was his real name) and my totodile's name is MARKO.

Rayshin

Lurking to the max.
    Years
    I named my character in D/P/P and HG/SS: Kevin. Don't know why, but somehow it fits quite well. I named Barry, Baron. Just wanted to get a bit formal. I named Silver, Redneck. Probably because of his hairstyle.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I always name my heroes a random name at the time that I like or just a random one. The rival's name is usually the default name or something like Silver, etc. Some random Pokemon names I have:
    Clock (Togekiss), Nova (Ninetails), Torpedo (Azumarill), Beep (Ampharos), Royale (Nidoking), Happy (Meganium).

Mostly random names, lol.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2013
    I named me Ethan and my rival Silver in both my platinum and my heartgold

Galdr

ドラゴンのおうじ
    Years
    In Diamond, my player name: Pichu
    In Platinum, my player name: Pichu
    In HeartGold, my player name: Pichu
    In SoulSilver, my player name: Roy (ロイ)

Named my Chimchar in Diamond "Phlegon"; in Platinum, I named my Chimchar "Anji"; In HG, named my Cyndaquil "Riela"; in SS, named my Totodile "Wacan", after the berry.

The Rivals, kept them as their normal names. [/too lazy] XD I only remember my SS team's names at the moment:

Feraligatr: Wacan, Leafeon: Midori, Crobat: Chrome, Weavile: Hina, Ambipom: Nozomi, Pikachu: Denki (after "electric" in Japanese) and Froslass: Yukika. I know that's seven Pokemon; I alternate between Hina and Yukika. Been EV training them as best as possible. :P

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    My real name is too long for the entry-game, so I never use it when playing through Pokemon games. In SoulSilver, I believe I called myself Mike. It's nice and generic and - most importantly - short. In Platinum, however, I chose a female protagonist and went with Jessica. It's realtively close to my real name and I used to have a friend called Jessica and it was honestly the first female name that popped up in my head.

As for Pokemon, I've never nicknamed them and don't intend to start now.

SoulSilver rival was ??? because I always liked how that's what he was called in the original GSC before you gave him a name. Indeed, I liked it so much that I kept it as his real one! In Platinum, I think I just gave the default name... is it Barry or something? I dunno. You can tell how much thought I put into these tough existential decisions!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    SoulSilver rival was ??? because I always liked how that's what he was called in the original GSC before you gave him a name. Indeed, I liked it so much that I kept it as his real one! In Platinum, I think I just gave the default name... is it Barry or something? I dunno. You can tell how much thought I put into these tough existential decisions!

It's funny because I thought that was his name even though you could change it. Haha, I always entered it as '???' since I thought that was his name; if you get the gist.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    In my first playthrough of Pokemon Pearl, I named my rival JAKIE C (Jackie Chan, since I was in Hong Kong at the time and I was 12 and stupid). I named myself OMER, and I didn't nickname my Pokemon (I rarely do). In HeartGold in my first playthrough, I just named myself Omer and my rival Gold. In subsequent playthroughs, I named my rival Susan. :3

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
    I always name my heroes a random name at the time that I like or just a random one.
    This. I always give my characters and Pokemon some random names. Since I've played DPPt a long time ago, I can't really remember the names I used. In SoulSilver I named my character Rachel and the rival's name is Casey. You know, like Casey & Friends.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2013
    I always name myself Nikita, of course. My rival in Diamond and Soul Silver is named Vinny, and I think in Platinum I named the rival Gino.

I name all of my Pokemon... The ones that come to mind are Vita (Murkrow), Eggie (Togepi), and Antonia (Arbok). And I have a Machoke with some feminine name like Carlotta or something like that, just cause I thought it'd be funny. Oh, and then I have this Voltorb named John Doe. I can't remember why I called it that, lol.

LinooneFriend

Pokefriend
    Years
    I named me by my irl name in all my games.
    My HG rival is Carter (I dunno, but it suits him), and my Platinum rival is Gavin (kid on my bus who always has better Pokemon cards than me).
    I name all my Pokemon but here are some names:
    Megee the meganium, Lina the linoone,
    PIPS the empoleon, Annabelle the dragonite.

Also, my friend always gets the fire starter and names it "TFIREYTEP" :P

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2020
    I name all the characters I could by default.

DPPT: Lucas, Rival: Barry
    HGSS: Ethan, Rival: Silver

I never had a thing for nicknaming my Pokemon. I also name them by default.

Years
    For SS I named myself Whallan, my rival Red-san (I have no idea why) and my Chikorita Bruce I believe.

and for Pearl myself Allan, rival Barry and my Chimchar Monk.

xelarator

Gentlemen.
    Years
    For both Diamond and Heartgold, I named myself Alex, my real life name. My rival's name was and shall forever be called Derp, because I don't have a hard time beating them. When I got HG, I wanted to be a Quilava (I think i was ten when it came out, not sure), so when my Cyndaquil evolved, I named it Xelarator.

Back