• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What do you like about Pokemon FR/LG?

darkdarkrai

No. 1 World at war fanboy
Years
  • Today I was playing on my copy of Pokemon firered(I got it from a car boot for £5) and I had a little brainwave about the features I liked in it.Here they are

1. When you enter a location such as viridian forest, a snapshot of the location comes up (This also happens in HG/SS).
    2. Improved Battle Scenes (Out of all the GBA games FR/LG have the best battle graphics.).
    3. In full colour compared to the original R/G/B/Y game.
    4. The sevvil islands(I wanted these to be in HG/SS).
    What do you like about FR/LG? Post your comments in this thread!

Years
  • The fact that it's Red, but with more immersive, clear graphics, that actually make Kanto look like a place, rather than a cold, grey space.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I like pretty much everything about it, because the entire game is a nostalgia bomb. XD First Pokémon game I ever owned. Good times, good times...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • The sprites were nice. But that's really it. I hated FRLG, personally.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I liked the music in the game and the storyline was good too.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Overall, simply the extended length of the game, basically meaning the Sevi Islands.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • Like: Beefed up graphics and updated game mechanics with new Pokemon to fit the games into Generation Three. There's also the Sevii Islands.

Hate: All the fun glitches got fixed. I know that was to to expected, but still.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What I like about FR/LG is the graphics, as well as the slightly longer storyline compared to R/S. What I didn't like about them was the fossils were revived at a low level and I had to force myself to go off the storyline a bit to train them.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2012
    Other than the fact that it looks a bit better, it's hard to like if you played the originals first.

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2017
    I love Pokemon in Kanto. The lengendary pokemons also look good and real, much like animals.

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    It looks a-lot better then Red/Blue, Before HG/SS I liked travelling through the kanto storyline without the annoying bag :)
    The original Pokemon were well worth seeing again too :)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • One word:

LEAF.

The female protagonist of these games is simply the best looking trainer ever. She's basically what raises FR/LG from being simply average to being my second favorite Pokemon game ever.

I also like the vastly improved graphics, the fact that the Elite Four become stronger, the Vs. Seeker, the bit into Lorelei's back-story, and that they removed all the glitches of the old games.

But still, LEAF. She alone makes these games worthwhile :)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    When I first played it, I had no prior knowledge of Kanto whatsoever, so it was fun to just blindly stumble through. And I remembered so little, it's the only game I don't know which starter I chose first time through.

The Sevii Islands are really fun, and quite well thought-out, although the ruins etc. don't have any history explained by anyone, which is kind of annoying. Also, I love most of the pokémon...well, most of the ones I can capture in LeafGreen anyway. The fact that I can't do trades, therefore no trade evolutions, means that I don't suffer from 6-pokémon syndrome as I do in Gen IV.

I also like most of the gym leaders, elite four etc. Lance is in it, and he's brilliant. And speaking of Lance...Dragonite. First one I ever owned was captured in LeafGreen. Possibly the last pokémon I captured myself and raised to level 100, too. And the only game where Dragonite has a decent front sprite until Hg/Ss.

I can't list all the reasons why I like LeafGreen...some of it can't be explained in words, so let's just say I love it, O.k?

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • the only things that I like about Pokemon FireRed and Leafgreen is the snapshots and the seven islands that they added there because there was a lot of things that you can do on those Islands.

:t354:TG

NatureKeeper

-The music is a perfect transition from Red and Blue with a mildly different RSE soundfont.
    -The graphics have a slight difference is style from RSE, but still uses the Gameboy Advance graphics superiorly.
    -Pidgeot, Charizard and Blastoises's sprites in comparison with RSE.
    -Trainer designs.
    -The Sevii Islands, the Unown quests, the Ruby and Sapphire quests, the remixed Johto music and the new... how do I put this into one word... ideas involved, like Berry Forest's Berries, the changing shop and Treasure Beach.
    -No Bidoofs (Realized this after playing Diamond.)
    -Area artwork
    -Wild battle remixes for the birds and Mewtwo.
    -The complex yet fun puzzles, those reintroduced from RBY and the new ones in the Sevii Islands.
    -The added epicness to the Champion music, I remember it making me so scared when I was a kid.
    -The help system. It was helpful when I was a newbie.
    -The Teachy TV. For help when I was new and as eye candy.
    -The TM/Item/Forget move cutscenes.
    -Being actually a CHALLENGING Pokémon game like Red and Blue, not the easy stuff from Gen II-V
    -The simple scripting used in comparison with RSE's fancy scripting that gave FRLG smplicity yet challenging.
    -The near-flawless engine, as there were only one or two glitches, which were hard to program and could be excused, really.
    -Being just god-damn fun and epic.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    I liked it mostly because of the generation. Also, it just was way more amped up than the previous games. And I like how they added Blue as the girl's character~

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2011
    yeah pokemon red and blue were amazing. they deserved this graphical updated. i'd say it's one of the most important pokemon games and new player should try.

Back