• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] What do you like best about RPing?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    The written kind, I mainly mean here, like forum RPing :3

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I'll just talk about Pokémon RP bc it's the only kind of RP I've been in so far, but worldbuilding might be my favorite part (also writing Jordie's battles, but that's more bc of the character themselves than because of anything directly tied to rping). But the part I enjoy the most is worldbuilding.

I guess it's because the pokémon franchise is so fucking dumb with its worldbuilding that trying to make sense after the smallest thing is really chaotic and fun to do (see: pokémon abilities), and doing it with almost the entire cast putting their grain of sand on how that stuff works makes it even better.

It's also because stuff has to make sense even if it takes place in a fictional world, y'know? So if the GM makes a cohesive/coherent world it's easier to write through the world and keep me invested imo. That's also the reason why I rarely take the anime as a reference, because at times they change shit whenever and however the script feels like.

Years
  • It's a really unique storytelling experience that I get to share with friends - or strangers who will inevitably become friends through the process. You get to come together to tell a compelling narrative and build worlds and stories. But you also don't have all the agency. The story and characters can grow and change in really organic and unexpected ways because you only really control one character and have to have them react IC to what other writers do.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • i guess worldbuilding for me as well? but specifically the collaborative worldbuilding that we end up following down rabbit holes together, and the cursed shit we come up with along the way. taking things 100% seriously and following threads to their natural-but-insane conclusions, putting work and love and care into the absurd and strange, and coming out with something impressively cohesive and logical that is also unendingly ridiculous. Some examples: the soda brand known simply as Kevin. Maple Norman Sr & Jr. The entire Detective Greedent franchise hellscape. The extremely challenging contest theme of "pineapple and the Unovan revolution". Golurk using Curse by taking its head off. "You could probably evolve a Magmar by dropping it into a volcano." "Hex trainers are hex trainers because their mom did a Gallade thank you for coming to my ted talk". "what's the policy on whaling in this universe". "If Honedge is just a dead guy possessing a sword how come a Pokeball can't catch a sword or a guy". The recurring egg vs cradle fight. The "how to eat Pokémon" discussions. "re: mr mime: the only lore i can find says "maybe mime jr evolves into galarian form because the ones that raise it focus on tap dancing there". so i guess, uh, if you raise it to be a tap dancer rather than a mime you can have a galarian one".

I just love the conversations we have! It's such a joy to create with people <3

Back