• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you like in ROM Hacks?

Years
  • Credits to altariaking for the idea.

This thread is about things you like in ROM Hacks.

I like ROM Hacks with decapitalization for trainer classes, trainer names, items, etc. ;except for Pokemon names however. I like when we're able to run inside buildings like Gen. 4. Hearing Hoenn music in Fire Red hacks like Rijon Adventures and Azure Horizons. I sometimes like new plots in ROM Hacks as in Identity and WARPED that don't involve badges. I appreciate hex editing in ROM Hacks.

I also like seeing ROM Hacks with the tiles already in the game since the new tiles seems overrated and overdone. Certain ROM Hacks like Light Platinum and Flora Sky have Generation 4 tiles and I like them.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Cinaed666

Geek.
    Years
  • I don't like it always being the same, generic storyline.
    My hack is using all stock tiles from FR for my custom Johto maps, and the main story isn't about collecting badges, however you need to complete them to get to new areas.
    I'm also adding some stuff like being able to jump over 'broken' parts of fences.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • I like hacks of a person who has actually put effort on it (= has done SOMETHING itself).
    Not explaining what this SOMETHING means; you can think about what it might mean yourself.

Also, I prefer 1st, 2nd & 4th generation hacks to the 3rd one.
    But real 3rd gen hacks are nice too.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I prefer it when it feels like a Pokémon game - ie. 8-badges-evil-team-storyline, Nintendo-ey tiles and stuff. And, you know what, even though everyone says they like originality, the most famous and popular hacks on this forum are like that - Genesis, rijonAdventures, Brown, Prism, etc. It's familiarity - and it's good.

Oh, and it can't be hard. HGSS-Johto level is good. :D

Last edited:

dead-man-walking

Alive and well
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    inb4 'omg thread title fail' xD

Now, on-topic. I think it's similarity, just like Ninja Caterpie said. Especially when topped with challenging difficulty (But not over-challenging like in rijonAdventures X... Gawd, Rival's starter is Level 7 from the beginning >_>).

Also, something that's actually unique. And tiles that don't hurt my eyes. And sprites that don't hurt my eyes.

*squints eyes*

Blaze The Hedgehog

The Flaming Wolf!
    Years
  • Obviously, It has to stick to that 'catch dem pokemanz and get dem darn badges' but I can't help feel that many new hacks appearing keep sticking too close to that linear storyline. Add some zazz to your story lines, make it more believable and exiting/interesting.

We don't need 4th gen. Pokemon. EVER. For me, It ruins the fact that Sinnoh Pokemon belong on the DS (Stupid reason and very opinionated but that's how I feel). And besides, many people make their sprites look rotten when they're shrinked to fit in with the pixel limit.

Fakemon are OK, but don't add a few. Why add two or three and keep the originals in? Make it at least around a 100 or so to make it seem like they're a new species that have just been discovered. You will have to replace others but that's the price to pay if you want your own Pokecreations in-game.

Tiles. Presentation is always an important thing. Don't use really bad tiles, try and learn from others if you want to make your own and DON"T STEAL!

I tried to make this sound more like my opinion but I guess it's more of a guideline. Oops :D

6ryan4

"Watch the power of aura!!!"
    Years
  • I don't really like new tiles all that much...I'd rather just stick to normal tiles. Creating everything from scratch is also annoying and overdone. Keep it simple, but original. New storylines are cool, but keep it like Pokemon. No swearing (*cough*Quartz*cough*), no mature themes, etc. I give up on playing hacks that don't feel like Pokemon to me, therefore, NO FAKEMON PLEASE. I hate that. The game isn't familiar with Fakemon. It's also hard to play because you can't even guess the Fakemon's type!

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2010
    I like different storylines, not just the normal badge collecting then beat the elite four. Something with a bit of a challenge is also good.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    • Tiles good to look at,
    • many scripts but not too many,
    • PLAYABILITY,
    • no bugs/errors/glitches,
    • new music - especially if it's nicely inserted,
    • nice maps with no tile errors,
    • edited texts such as signs and people in Pokecenters and Pokemarts too,
    • interesting storyline with a twist,
    • the ability to choose 1 of 3 starter Pokemon,
    • a bit of humour in the texts,
    • Fakemon (but only if properly and nicely inserted) - this includes 4th and 5th Generation Pokemon,
    • edited OWs of the running and cycling and fishing poses,
    • people who give you random items,
    • Gym Leaders,
    • a proper rival that appears many times - but not for battles but for other things too,
    • an evil team,
    • receiving a Masterball late in the game,
    • as least as possible real life referrence,
    • every city has its own houses and tiles,
    • at least one forest, at least one cave,
    • enough walking space,
    • in-game trades,
    • a new textbox,
    • and many more things I could think of.

Last edited:

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
    Years
  • good tiles! (I think I am the only person who thinks that graphics is the most important thing in a hack)

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I welcome orginality. No badges, fine. Fakemon, if good, then okay. Most of the hacks that I think of creating will be based on war, might not even have a Pokedex!

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2011
    Id like to see a hack that has the new pokemon black and white sprites in it like zekrom and reshirem(however you spell it).they could zorua and zoruark

im a baaaaad speller

Years
  • Some of the things I love...

1. New starters
    2. New storyline (I love interesting one)
    3. New pokemon (Fakemon or DP included)
    4. New places to travel
    5. Some new techniques you can use outside of battle (like Headbutt)
    6. New graphics
    7. The originality of the games now.
    8. The fact that you can actually change the games.

RRM

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2010
    • new music
    • interesting history
    • nice places to explore
    • BEING ABLE TO EVOLVE WITHOUT TRADE! (seriously, I hated when I couldn't get Alakazam or Gengar.)
    • Being able to get rare pokemon somewhat more easily
    • etc...

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • I don't know, I usually don't like playing hacks. I do however like hacks that stays true to itself, and have one stly for the whole game. I also like games with an in depth storyline.

SephirothX

a.k.a. Shadomew
    Years
  • I prefer hacks that completely overhaul the game. New tiles aren't a necessity (unless it's a FR/LG mod - ugh), but new stories, Pokémon, regions, and game mechanics get me hooked.
    I can't stand how the official games all-caps freaking EVERYTHING, so properly lowercased names, items, etc. are a feature I appreciate.

Petemon

GO Abra
    Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2011
    i like
    D/P/P pokemon
    different starters eg absol skarmory meditite
    cool storyline not 8 badges e-4 ect
    having FUN

Years
  • i like when the hack has a goood storyline...new tiles...fakemons...D/P/Pl pokemons ...black white pokemons hehhehe (mijumaru,pokabu,tsutaja) ...special events ...legendaries...good scripts...new maps...new sprites and new OWs...the end :D

Back