• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What do YOU think made GSC so great?

Years
  • I guess one fact is that at the time G/S were released you had already been into Pokémon and might have looked forward to the games so much. And as G/S had many new features (day/night, new Pokémon, great storyline etc.) you were totally surprised after having R/B kinda bad graphics and stuff. G/S were just a lot more up - to - date if u want. You could better imagine how the Pokemon looked like etc.

kellogs

Crunchy
    Years
  • -Best storyline
    -The starters(still the best i feel)
    -Amazing designs
    -the memorable music
    -the legendaries
    -Ma saving your monies
    -ALL MOTHERFUNKIN' 16 BADGES!
    -day and night settings
    -The radio,God, i miss it ;-;

Too much to list,simply put,its Gold and Silver,what more do you need :D?

Ephraim

I am no servant.
    Years
  • I guess one fact is that at the time G/S were released you had already been into Pokémon and might have looked forward to the games so much. And as G/S had many new features (day/night, new Pokémon, great storyline etc.) you were totally surprised after having R/B kinda bad graphics and stuff. G/S were just a lot more up - to - date if u want. You could better imagine how the Pokemon looked like etc.

Perhaps. The latter games didn't live up as much hype as G/S/C did. IMO.

HeartGoldnSoulSilver

is ready for the remakes.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    Here's my top 10 reasons (there's a lot but I picked 10):

1. 2 regions/16 gym leaders
    2. Battle against Red
    3. Music
    4. The Pokemon
    5. Team Rocket
    6. Day and Night system
    7. A bad ass rival with a evil looking Pokemon team
    8. Lance team up
    9. Meeting Ho-oh at the top of tin tower/ Lugia at the whirlpool islands
    10. The moment when a legendary beast suddenly appeared in the wild

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • I think the fact that GSC was the only realsequel to a Pokemon series before it. The storyline took place several years after RBY, with Team Rocket returning and you having, to defeat them again. You also could actually return to Kanto and see the difference after several years have passed (which was awesome). Another cool thing was getting to face the main character in RBY at the end. He even had his high leveled Pikachu! x3

The music was also epic in itself, not to mention the improved graphics and new concept of breeding Pokemon. Yup... good times, good times. :)

I could list so many more things, but I won't. Too much stuff and too little time has kept this post shortened. xD

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    It's a bit hard for me to point out exactly why I loved these games so much. It's definitely not because everyone else loves them, but I think, as a child, I had the most fun playing this generation. The day/night system was great, I really loved the realism that gave to it (as a child, all I wanted was for Pokemon to be real), the new Pokemon they came up with were great, thus giving us a collection of 251 great Pokemon. The two new types they came out with were a start to something good, the fact that they implemented shiny Pokemon, etc.. I think it may be a combination of minor improvements in comparison to RBY that made up for a huge difference, and a great generation.

It's just a great generation. XD;

I started out with Gold and Silver when I got it for my birthday , and they lived up to the very hype it created. Day and Night, cool Pokemon , the crystal animations, the gameplay ,and the sheer awesomeness that the starters and legendaries were and are are what made the game so epicly wicked .

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
    Years
  • Apart from all of the innovations that it brought us, I loved the GSC Rival. A somewhat-deep archnemesis type that becomes a better trainer as he realises the power of FRIENDSHIP?

Yes plz.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • GSC was simply great! It was the best really! I liked all of the innovative features in it and specially liked the ability to get 16 badges, travel 2 regions and battle RED! It was simply an awesome game.

Lunatone

The Meteorite Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2009
    In my opinion the whole game was just more...wholesome. I loved the Pokemon, who are pretty rare on other versions of the game. They had my favorite starter set, although the originals I adore as well. It had the first incorporation of the female character, as well as day and night. And the shinies! Where everyone had a good chance of getting one with the egg we were given. I've only ever trained one Pokemon up to level 99 and that is my lovely Dragonite, named Happy. I still play Crystal because this is where my first love for the Dragon type emerged. Prior to GSC I had Red, Blue, and Yellow and I chose mine mostly on looks. And while I still use Pokemon whose appearances I am fond of, I do my research and find the best movesets and counterparts. For example I have a Mudkip who has an everstone because I want her to stay one forever. :D And yes I know Mudkip isn't from GSC, it was just an example. I really liked Sudowoodo from GSC. And Ho-Oh, yet I have yet to have one. My love of the Psychic type wasn't until FRLG so I really overlooked a lot of those ones but now that I go back and replay it now I can appreciate it much more than I had when I was younger.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2012
    The reason that I loved GSC so much was that it was so... unexpected. For the people who were playing RBY, we just had no clue what to expect; for me, at least, I was picturing the exact same thing as RBY in a new land with some new Pokemon.

When GSC was released, it blew me out of the water. There was the day/night system, registering key items, Pokemon happiness, breeding/eggs, different events that occurred at different days of the week, exp bar under the Pokemon, the pokeballs next to the ones you caught, being able to go back to Kanto. Everything was just amazing.

And the majority of the new Pokemon designs were actually good, unlike the 3rd and 4th gen.

Lunatone

The Meteorite Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2009
    Allure XI said:
    And the majority of the new Pokemon designs were actually good, unlike the 3rd and 4th gen.
    See I disagree in that respect, about the 3rd and 4th generations. I do love the GSC Pokemon very much, but I love the newer ones as well. I completely forgot about the happiness thing. *face palm* The new evolutions of Eevee were another awesome bonus. I remember walking around until my second Eevee was born so I could have the counterpart to my Espeon, which was my Umbreon. I was still nicknaming my Pokemon back then. I called them Light and Dark, how original. I was lame, but hey I loved it. :D

Miss Soupy

o v e r d o s e
    Years
  • I think it was so great because it was NEW. After ol' RBY, they decided to add in even more Pokemon, and it just made the experience great. In my opinion, it was the version with the most improvements if comparing GSC to RBY. There was a breeding system that was a whole new concept, a new day and night system, and you could even travel to Kanto for nostalgia purposes.

Uh, but yeah. To wrap it up, I think the thing that makes GSC so great is the memories and improvements. The other games brought new features to the table, too, but just the memory of GSC blowing me away is all wow. :'3

Lunatone

The Meteorite Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2009
    Yeah it was just mind blowing at the time. I remember I begged and begged for my parents to get me Gold, and when Crystal came out the puppy eyes came out again.

Johnny590

It's cute how you think I care
    Years
  • So many new features,
    new areas to explore, check out old areas that have been revamped
    so much to do after the E4
    New pokemon
    introduction of the battle tower
    Hold items
    shiny pokemon
    just everything about it made it so memorable

Amen to that.

In my opinon, Gold, Silver and Crystal were THE best Pokemon games I have ever played....even though Ruby and and Diamond pretty much impressed me, I have to say the best Pokemon years for me were those in the Johto-Kanto area in those 3 games....:D

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2009
    Everything about the games increased its greatness. For me I think the Shiny Pokemon were the best things in GSC ... day and night ... breeding ... two regions ... What more could you want.

Years
  • One aspect that I was fond of, was the fact that the progression of the game had you returning to the same central points, and it it wasn't really linear, like the rest of the series; the mapping was great.

There was a much more diverse array of items and side-quests, too.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • The fact that it's the first time you've ever had a 50% chance to get a shiny Pokemon is what made it. ._.

Nah, I'd just say the length, as well as replay value make it one of the greatest games ever. It was such a leap from R/B/G/Y graphic wise, also.

Denzer

Why so serious?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2013
    The fact that going to Kanto was cool and the starters are awesome. Lots of legends was nice and the pokemon were cool.

Back