• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What do you think of Crystal version?

Silent_Storm

"Let It Be, Let It Be"
    Years
    I love it because the Pokemon sprites moved and it was a big step after Yellow, Red, and Blue. I also like that you can go to two regions. Plus, you catch Suicune!!! And, the Pokemon are cool too. What do you guys think?

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Yes, that is my fav. pokemon game of all time, but I also like the fact it was the first game to have a battle tower, and go back to kanto. =]

By the way you could catch suicune, raikou, and entie in gold and silver too, so its not much of a difference by catching suicune in crystal... lol =]

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2008
    it's my humble opinion that crystal is one of the best games I've played, ever.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Best Pokemon game hands down. As the above poster stated, the animations did get old, but there's no serious criticism I can think for the game when comparing it to the others.

In all, it wasn't much different to Silver and Gold, but the main thing that makes me like Crystal more than all of its predecessors is the fact that the player can control a female protagonist.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    The increased Poliwag encounter rate near Violet City was a welcomed entrance.

How in the hell do I remember that? I haven't played Crystal in years...

IceDragon2439

Stand Up and Scream
    Years
    All time favorite version by a long shot. The moving animations, to me, were a good addition. Two, the first game to have a battle tower. Three the first game to have a girl as a main character.

And with the metal game trio: the two regions, night and day, and the 2nd generation of Pokemon were awesome.

Crystal is awesome!

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I loved this game and I really miss playing it. They should really remake it

Keruri

Espeon Lover
    Years
    Crystal has always been my favorite game. I already loved the johto series, but then we could finally play as a girl as well. Just awesome.

bat003

Pokemon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2019
    it could of had more work and it should of had Ho-oh. the trainer was alright
    over all it was a fast make from s/g +

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I restarted it a few months ago and I still get a kick out of seeing all the second generation features again. It's a fascinating game, really, seeing as there's so much to do. The storyline is also slightly improved in comparison to Gold & Silver, which I liked. It also had the animated sprites, instead of still frame ones. I remember seeing the Farfetch'd sprite in Crystal and instantly falling in love with it. My main complaint would be that you could only take part in the Celebi side-quest in the Japanese version of the game. It's unfortunate but there's not much I can do.

In conclusion, Pokémon Crystal was a really great game.

Parabolic

wutizdisiduneven
    Years
    Crystal has a bit of a hard spot in my heart for the event that happened when I got it. My dad had purchased me Magi-nation for the GBC as a birthday gift and I acted oddly selfish and decided to return it and buy Crystal Version as I wanted it much more. In retrospect, I feel really bad about it because it probably hurt my father's feelings a bit...

About the game, though. The 2nd gen games are my least favorite of the four generations and Crystal is my least favorite out of the three games in the generation so... we'll leave it at that.

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
    OMG i looooooooooooove it it was my first ever game and got me in Pokemon after that it was just history

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
    I think Crystal version should be marked in Pokémon game history! It was the first Pokémon game to have moving sprites. Also, it is the first one to support gender picking.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Crystal has always been in my opinon, one of the best Pokémon games ever. I mean, the awesome animations, not the Emerald+ rubbish of a 2 frame laziness, great storyline, better pokémon than any other game, awesome how you get to travel to Kanto, the fact one could pick a female character (although, being a male character never really bothered me), ITS ALL AWESOME!

One of the best EVER.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2013
    Like most people above me already stated, easily the best one of the series. This game proves that you don't need really fancy graphics to make a good game, just good features.

(I still play this game daily! :D)

dragonarche

Is back :D
    Years
    just so you guys know there is going to be a G/S/C remake

its going come out after a year after pokemon platinum does
    What do you think of Crystal version?

sdfs

Is graceful like Zuzu.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2008
    I liked Crystal. It was a lot of fun to play, and I loved the free egg at the daycare. It helped me out a lot when I needed an extra pokemon. It was also nice to see real animations. And to the person who posted above this, those are fake. Notice the art on the Ho-oh. It is the old art. If it were an official cover, it'd have the updated art. Also, notice the pixely outline on the Lugia. Definately 'shopped. Also, the crappy CG job on the Lugia. It was done very sloppily, and it looks like with the smudge tool. I'm sorry, but if you actually believed that, just wow. That fake picture bugs me, I'm sorry >_>;

Last edited:
    Back