• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What do you think of the GTS in gen VI?

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
    Is it just me, or does it seem like the GTS is becoming a lot less useful? Everyone asks for the exact same things: Mew, Diance, Hoopa, ect. I have never found a reasonable trade. I kid you not, there are people who offer level 1, non shiny Magikarps for a Mew. That's insane! But at least whenever I put up offers, they get traded fairly quickly.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    That GTS flaw sadly can be traced as early as Gen IV, where it first made its debut. I agree that it's becoming less useful, as 'greedy trainers' are infesting the GTS.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    If you want to be successful in trading through the GTS, first thing you have to do, is stopping to look for things you want and instead offer things you have, requesting things you want. The reason why you can't find what you're looking for, is because others already grabbed it, leaving only the garbage, that nobody wants/can get.

If you have something that others want, then you're going to have an easy time on the GTS.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    If you want to be successful in trading through the GTS, first thing you have to do, is stopping to look for things you want and instead offer things you have, requesting things you want. The reason why you can't find what you're looking for, is because others already grabbed it, leaving only the garbage, that nobody wants/can get.

If you have something that others want, then you're going to have an easy time on the GTS.

This actually works, as I have been using this method since Gen IV. :)
    Sometimes it takes time, but there are still fair traders there, starter to starter, version exclusives to version exclusives.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years

True... actually now that I can remember it, Gen IV GTS was even worse because everyone had an action replay!(including me lol) and it was super easy to hack pokemon.

Years
    What do I think of the GTS? It's garbage and always has been. I have never seen it be any good and Ive been around since Red and Blue when it was REQUIRED for you to have a trading link between 2 gameboy's there was no GTS or online system. Ahh nostalgia. But anyways Gamefreak's first attempt at helping kids "Catch em' all" through link trade failed, then they stepped up to more modern times(somewhat): The wireless adapter. That failed too. Then they got smart and did pal pad and introduced friend codes and GTS. Failed utterly and last but not least lets not forget the newest thing they came out with: Wonder Trading. The most despicable but yet hilarious way to get trade Wurmples and Zigzagoons for Legends and perfect IV's poke's. You can guess where I'm going with this already. FAILED. So lets just chalk it up to Gamefreak, LET US GEN POKEMON ALREADY. Its been the biggest thing since generation IV and is still the best solution(other then getting everything totally legit) for getting the things people want. I'm telling you if they teamed up with Datel and bought a share of their profits, man would Gamefreak be earning big time, even more then they already are. BUT..... Ehem *clears throat* Yeah the GTS is great and people love losing their legends for Wurmples. *sarcasm*

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    I have mixed feelings about GTS. On one hand I can't stand how many people lie in their Pokemon descriptions or offer ridiculously one sided trades. Then on the other hand I love how i can get anything i want with the right Pokemon. If you know what you are doing, GTS can be really easy... Although, patience is key.

Basically, don't search and only request.

Years
    I have mixed feelings about GTS. On one hand I can't stand how many people lie in their Pokemon descriptions or offer ridiculously one sided trades. Then on the other hand I love how i can get anything i want with the right Pokemon. If you know what you are doing, GTS can be really easy... Although, patience is key.

Basically, don't search and only request.

Honestly its much easier to wonder trade rather then GTS. Although you would more then likely get Wurmples and Magikarps its easier to find pokes you need there and doesn't cost anything valuable in return but it also would take longer. Ive learned that patience is never the key with video games there are too many kids who do stupid things now a days and think its funny to troll people and set up trades like Magikarp for Arceus. Its a bit ridiculous but unfortunately it will never change. People are always saying "Clean the GTS" when its not the GTS that's the problem, its the people, and as long as they don't implement some sort of equality/rarity system the GTS will always be as bad as it is. Yeah sure you can "sometimes" get the trades you want. but 95% of the time you won't and its just wasting time. The worst part about it is that Gamefreak doesn't care how bad the GTS system is.

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
    Years
    GTS...the only thing I hate about is. People are either asking for Pokémon their not going to get or Pokémon that can't be traded through the GTS. At times I wouldn't mind going back to the Link Cable.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
    What do I think of the GTS? It's garbage and always has been. I have never seen it be any good and Ive been around since Red and Blue when it was REQUIRED for you to have a trading link between 2 gameboy's there was no GTS or online system. Ahh nostalgia. But anyways Gamefreak's first attempt at helping kids "Catch em' all" through link trade failed, then they stepped up to more modern times(somewhat): The wireless adapter. That failed too. Then they got smart and did pal pad and introduced friend codes and GTS. Failed utterly and last but not least lets not forget the newest thing they came out with: Wonder Trading. The most despicable but yet hilarious way to get trade Wurmples and Zigzagoons for Legends and perfect IV's poke's. You can guess where I'm going with this already. FAILED. So lets just chalk it up to Gamefreak, LET US GEN POKEMON ALREADY. Its been the biggest thing since generation IV and is still the best solution(other then getting everything totally legit) for getting the things people want. I'm telling you if they teamed up with Datel and bought a share of their profits, man would Gamefreak be earning big time, even more then they already are. BUT..... Ehem *clears throat* Yeah the GTS is great and people love losing their legends for Wurmples. *sarcasm*

Wonder trade... I think it's pretty dumb. I hear peoples stories where they get shiny pokemon from wonder trade but now that we have ORAS, it seems like people are a lot more stingy and hostile about their shinies... despite the fact that they're easier to obtain now. (I just don't understand). By the way, I like your profile image lol

Years
    Wonder trade... I think it's pretty dumb. I hear peoples stories where they get shiny pokemon from wonder trade but now that we have ORAS, it seems like people are a lot more stingy and hostile about their shinies... despite the fact that they're easier to obtain now. (I just don't understand). By the way, I like your profile image lol

I understand it, I don't really like wonder trading either. If you ask me both GTS and Wonder trading are simply awful. This world has become a stingier place and the world of gaming isn't as civil as it used to be. ESPECIALLY in Pokemon. but... What can you do but keep trying? Personally I use Powersaves for Pokemon because I know I would never complete the Pokedex without it for this exact reason. Downfall of that is I usually have to wait several months for them to post codes for that kind of thing. I mean at least in Gen IV there was SOME civility but now no one takes it serious enough. I think if Gamefreak really wants to promote "Catch em' all" then they should invent a way for people to get access to all the Pokemon easier without trading. Like random encounters. Somewhat like the friend safari or the Pokeradar. Like post game stuff that allows you to venture to certain cities in certain regions to catch more Pokemon or something. Idk. I feel like there is other options then GTS and Wonder Trading that can make kids communicate more but still not have to use the god forsaken GTS and Wonder Trading to complete the Pokedex. and thank you for the comment on my Profile Pic.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2022
    Do you think it would be made better if you could trade event pokemon? Surely then that would help satisfy at least some of those wanting mew, deoxys, etc. I also think they could remove the description box: reckon, the GTS should pretty much be solely for completing the Pokedex, and not for getting ace IVs.

If not, surely GF could safeguard against the event Pokemon trolls by not allowing them to be asked for if you can't trade them?!

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
    I understand it, I don't really like wonder trading either. If you ask me both GTS and Wonder trading are simply awful. This world has become a stingier place and the world of gaming isn't as civil as it used to be. ESPECIALLY in Pokemon. but... What can you do but keep trying? Personally I use Powersaves for Pokemon because I know I would never complete the Pokedex without it for this exact reason. Downfall of that is I usually have to wait several months for them to post codes for that kind of thing. I mean at least in Gen IV there was SOME civility but now no one takes it serious enough. I think if Gamefreak really wants to promote "Catch em' all" then they should invent a way for people to get access to all the Pokemon easier without trading. Like random encounters. Somewhat like the friend safari or the Pokeradar. Like post game stuff that allows you to venture to certain cities in certain regions to catch more Pokemon or something. Idk. I feel like there is other options then GTS and Wonder Trading that can make kids communicate more but still not have to use the god forsaken GTS and Wonder Trading to complete the Pokedex. and thank you for the comment on my Profile Pic.

When I said I don't understand I was talking about people lol also yeah I completely agree with you about lacking of civility. You should see a thread that I just posted about game chat lol

Do you think it would be made better if you could trade event pokemon? Surely then that would help satisfy at least some of those wanting mew, deoxys, etc. I also think they could remove the description box: reckon, the GTS should pretty much be solely for completing the Pokedex, and not for getting ace IVs.

If not, surely GF could safeguard against the event Pokemon trolls by not allowing them to be asked for if you can't trade them?!

You make a great point... but I could still foresee a problem with that. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
    Years
    Eh, I like the Wonder Trade. Don't like getting useless Pokémon from it but, I get some of the Pokémon I breed from WT.

Years

I suppose so, but being able to trade event Pokemon doesn't solve the problem of people being trolls. I mean people would still ask for Arceus/Shaymin/Darkrai and every other non obtainable Pokemon for them anyways. So you'd end up trading 1 event Pokemon for another event Pokemon which would be a waste of time for those who are trying to collect event Pokemon, which is more common then completing the Pokedex now a days. Besides that all people want are Perfect IV's Pokemon anyways because competitive battling is a thing. I just feel that GTS should be shut down all together. No one uses it anymore. And you can tell that by the Vivillion event they did back at the beginning of X/Y. You had to trade as many Vavillion patterns as you could to reach a certain goal and when we did there was an event for it. But that didn't stop people from trading their level 10 Vavillions and asking for Level 100 Shaymin and Darkrais in return. I'm surprised we actually made the goal to be honest. But there's your proof, that even if we could trade event Pokemon it wouldn't be any different than it is now.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2022
    I suppose so, but being able to trade event Pokemon doesn't solve the problem of people being trolls. I mean people would still ask for Arceus/Shaymin/Darkrai and every other non obtainable Pokemon for them anyways. So you'd end up trading 1 event Pokemon for another event Pokemon which would be a waste of time for those who are trying to collect event Pokemon, which is more common then completing the Pokedex now a days.

What if you weren't allowed to request event legendaries? I.e. the most you could ask for would be an in-game legendary like Mewtwo, Zygarde, Rayquaza. So event legendaries would only be available in one-on-one trades, or through a new event. I guess we're going to always have the trolls about, but if you couldn't ask for pokemon that you can never receive it might help.

GF could also maybe allow you to see the stats of the Pokemon you are getting; it'd make IV/nature claims much more credible if you can see the stats and then use a stat calculator to make sure you're getting the right Pokemon.

I mean, I don't use the GTS much anyway, but I really wish GF made every aspect of the game as good as it could possibly be ;-;

Years
    What if you weren't allowed to request event legendaries? I.e. the most you could ask for would be an in-game legendary like Mewtwo, Zygarde, Rayquaza. So event legendaries would only be available in one-on-one trades, or through a new event. I guess we're going to always have the trolls about, but if you couldn't ask for pokemon that you can never receive it might help.

GF could also maybe allow you to see the stats of the Pokemon you are getting; it'd make IV/nature claims much more credible if you can see the stats and then use a stat calculator to make sure you're getting the right Pokemon.

I mean, I don't use the GTS much anyway, but I really wish GF made every aspect of the game as good as it could possibly be ;-;

That's a good idea but it also complicates the process of trying to get those event legendary's. Due to not many people have the OR you don't have a friend who does have it. I just think they should either redo all the past events so that things like Darkrai, Arceus, Shaymin, Jirachi, Celebi etc. aren't so hard to get, OR make them available as in game legends. Ive given up all hope on the GTS ever being as good as it could be. But also its about time they implement something new and improved. Heres to hoping Pokemon Z or Gen VII will have a better way of getting Pokemon.

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
    Years

I actually get shiny Pokemon from wonder trade quite frequently. I'd estimate about 60 times. I lost count. I swear I am telling the truth. But I've had more than a fair share of Zigzagoon, Wurmple, etc. Wonder Trade has its pluses and minuses. Nobody said you have to put in Legendary Pokémon.

I have Omega Ruby. I completed my Dex in about 3 months. My Dex in Y is complete, too.

Back