• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen what game version do you prefer? Gold or Silver?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
  • i prefer gold alot more, its more fun and i dno just the places u have to go and etc. is more exciting

Wait, what...? None of the locations are different in either game...

And for me it has to be Gold, as it was the one I first had, though I admit that Silver's sprites were of better quality for the most part.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Gold.

It was my first game ever and well, the Bell Tower (idk I forgot the name) was awesome and I loved exporing it. I've never played Silver, but I do know that back in the days of the graphical abilities of Game Boy's being limited... that the whirl islands were less appealing than the tower. Plus, that tower is one of my memories as a child or something, idk. As for their remakes, Silver's animation for the islands wins over the tower, so yeah.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    Silver. I always prefer silver anything over gold because, to me, gold feels like fake or wannabe.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Silver, but mostly because it was the very first Pokemon game I ever got (next to 1 or 2 N64 games). I also like it because a lot of the sprites look better (expecially Celebi which can be obtained via Celebi Egg Trick which I only recently learned about) and because my favorite Pokemon (Ho-Oh) is the highest-level Pokemon in the game. But mostly because it was my first game. *nods*

Years
    • Seen today
    Gold, for the following reasons:

1. Gold is just a more vibrant color to me than Silver
    2. I prefer Ho-Oh to Lugia- more colorful and birdlike, although Lugia isn't at all bad.
    3. Except for Mankey, and with the Phanpy and Teddiursa lines being a draw, I prefer the Gold exclusives (especially Growlithe-nothing wrong with Vulpix, but I could never get over its hair, which to me looks alot like a 60's style hairdo).

Silver is a good game regardless, but Gold will always be my preference.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2021
    Either is fine. I bought Silver before even considering buying Gold, though.

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
    Years
  • It used to be Silver up until some months ago. I always have preferred Lugia over Ho-Oh and I still do, but I recently found out Heart Gold is more canon than Soul Silver... But we're not talking about fourth generation here. So, why I preferred Silver, is because I played it first. I got them both at the same time, but I started with Silver, and I got so used to it, that when I played Gold, it left some weird aftertaste in my mind. I know it's weird, everyone has a little bit of an autist in him. Also this happened a long long time ago, haha.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2010
    I like Gold version more because (although I think that Lugia is better than Ho - oh), I like the artwork more in Gold. Pokemon like Feraligator and Gengar simply look better in Gold version than in Silver, imo.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Nov 28, 2016
    I bought silver when it came out many years ago. I've always liked it over gold for some reason, but eventually my friend game me gold. Don't you just miss the GB days lol

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I prefer Silver. :) Firstly, my mum bought me Silver when it came out, so it is very nostalgic for me, but I prefer Lugia over Ho-Oh anyway. :) It just looks cooler in my opinion... :) I also prefer some of the versian exclusives... e.g: Ledia, Skarmory...

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • Silver has better Pokemon art, but Gold has better Pokemon, for the most part at least. I have Gold, so nostalgia makes that one the preferable version.

Back