• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What gave Pokemon its bad reputation.

sabapple

Fly High☆
Years
  • It's that dang anime I tell you!!! How could Ash&Co. NOT see that it's Team Rocket, EVERY TIME?!?! Every time some mentions pokemon in my school, they only mock the anime, but never the games.... Hm...... But I never tell any of my friends that I play Pokemon, but my parents ask me what I'm doing when I take notes when I am EV training some of my Pokemon. And my Dad calls it Pokeman. *sigh*

AlphaMightyena

A Mightyena Fapper
    Years
  • Everyone Has to Disagree with something.

i think that's how pokemon is. Some People thought it was too childish. then again anything with monsters in it sounds childish.

But who cares? They don't know what they are missing!

What gave Pokemon its bad reputation.

TaoBoa

Indigenous to Nowhere
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2010
    People associate Pokemon with their early childhood. Thus making it lame or uncool when you reach a certain age. I'm happy to say that I'm 15 and a girl and I've been playing Pokemon ever since it's conception basically. People are so quick to judge what's "cool" and what's not when they should just worry about what they genuinely like. (:

Alright, I'll get off my soap box now. ^_^;

Years
  • I believe it is mostly because of the cartoon, and in some point I agree the cartoon is childish and repetitive, and cartoons in general unless have a more dark and developed style will always be labeled as childish.

I like the games and I don't care if people mock me, just like Coolcatkim said. Actually, some people accept it and in some time agree with me. In fact, whoever is from my age range and hasn't played Pokemon in their childhood wasn't socially accepted.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • Everybody who plays Pokemon has at some point been mocked for playing it, but what is it that makes people think its so bad? Discuss it here.

The problem is: people. No matter what, there will always be someone with something bad to say about something, or people who have nothing better to do but find the negative side of things. Some people just don't want to give things a chance.

Why is everyone ignoring me?
    Does anybody agree with me?

Hey, I agree with you. :)

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • Me and my friends still love Pokemon, but I think it has gotten such a bad image from its now-monotonous and repetitious Anime.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • Why is everyone ignoring me?
    Does anybody agree with me?
    Dude, No one's ignoring you. You actually have a point there. People always mock others for what they think is wrong. People actually don't know about this whole EV,IV, Breeding thing and they just judge the game according to the cartoonish graphics. The anime is a little childish.. I have to say it. They just need to add more dark characters like Cyrus and Paul.

Harumi-chan

L o v e . M e . H a t e . M e
    Years
  • I agree with everyone on the point that they think its childish and there's nothing more to it than collecting cars, catching monsters in balls and watching english anime with bad voice acting.

Even my friends who do like pokemon never knew about how wide and vast it is, in the aspect of EV/IV breeding and training, the events, and just how complex it can be.

I'm still a hardcore fan from the beginning, I don't see myself getting out of the fandom any time soon.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    The anime, pikachu, and certain people gave pokémon it's bad reputation.
    Simple as that. :)

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • Hey, I agree with you. :)
    Thanks ^_^
    Dude, No one's ignoring you. You actually have a point there. People always mock others for what they think is wrong. People actually don't know about this whole EV,IV, Breeding thing and they just judge the game according to the cartoonish graphics. The anime is a little childish.. I have to say it. They just need to add more dark characters like Cyrus and Paul.
    Not actually my point, but whatever.

xXI JOE IXx

Ha ha, Some kid today mocked me for playing Pokemon, all his friends (who are usually really nasty) turned around and said so? and then mocked him for NOT liking it

CyanideEspeon

Strange Woman
    Years
  • Another part of the bad reputation are the kind of religious people who give other religious people (like myself) a bad name. I mean, I love Psychic, Dark, and Ghost types, along with the evil teams. Another part is that it's on Cartoon Network.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I've been told a lot that "Pokemon is a boys game, so why are you playing it"
    I kinda believed this because there was no option of choosing a female the first generation but as soon as they finally gave the choice of picking a female I didn't believe it anymore

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    People mock you basically because it's been classified as a children's game/anime.

I, however, haven't been mocked for playing the games/watching the anime. .​

Tudj

HeartGold :P
    Years
  • I think it was the anime, or the generation whose parents couldn't start them off with their first game. But from what people tell me its the anime.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    well if you're a girl who plays it [like myself], people probably say something along the lines of "you're playing a 'boys game'." :|

HEAR HEAR.

Well, when people who can't speak internet hear pokemon, they think of the anime. then I slap said people.

salmence33

I'm out here
    Years
    • He/him
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    gosh, my brother is 7 and he has no idea how to play it
    childish, I think not
    although if they mock you they have probobly seen the anime, but not played the game

Back