• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is a Pokemon Master to you?

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    For me someone who is:

an expert on basics: capturing pokemon, breeding pokemon, leveling pokmeon etc.

Knowledgeable about items: healing, evolutionary, holding items

Knowledgeable about types: strengths and weaknesses.

Knowledgeable about Effort values and know how to train with them.

Knowledgeable about Individual Values and know how to breed for them.

Knowledgeable about movesets and diversity in movesets.

Someone who has participated in a pokemon contest and at least won one master rank.

Someone who has beaten more than one champion.

I maybe leaving some out but IMO this pretty much covers it for me. What is it for you?

Years
    A true pokémon master to me is somebody who truly loves pokémon the way they are and knows how to battle effectively without getting their pokémon hurt in any way.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    A Pokemon master? The definition...IS SYDIAN. jk. The term "Pokemon Master" to me only really matches with gen I. It's just not something I heard much outside that time. So when I think of Pokemon Master, I think of completing the Pokedex in RBY, having all the badges, and being the Champion. That's the only game I really think you can be a Pokemon Master in. It's not my nostalgia goggles talking (I broke them long ago!) either, it's just it feels like an outdated term to me. I never heard people use it outside that gen, so I feel like that's where it belongs. :)

/makes no sense

Odyman

Novice Trainer
    Years
    For me:
    Someone who has the patience to capture any Pokemon he needs. (Either for a Pokedex entry or for team creation)
    Someone who has the patience to train a Pokemon up to LvL 100
    Someone who knows most of the evolutionary lines.
    Someone who knows all the possible level-up moves of at least one Pokemon.
    Someone who knows the type chart and does not double-think what Pokemon to send in battle. (assuming he has a type superior to the one he is fighting in his team)
    Someone who will help a friend with Pokedex entries or even lend a Pokemon (regardless of the level) to a friend in need.
    Hope it helps :P

Asuf

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    A Pokemon master would be someone who...

- Has completed the Pokedex (although it is impossible since it will update from time to time)
    - Collected all badges and defeated all champions in all regions which include gyms and an elite four.
    - Collected all master ranked ribbons in contests in all regions.
    - Has defeated Red! (we all have, but who knows, he might have been going easy on us... c(: )

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
    My definition of a Pokemon master only has one requirement... And that's defeating the region champion.

This in itself requires alot of what was mentioned above, like collecting badges, and connection to one's Pokemon...

Years
    For me someone who is:

an expert on basics: capturing pokemon, breeding pokemon, leveling pokmeon etc.

Knowledgeable about items: healing, evolutionary, holding items

Knowledgeable about types: strengths and weaknesses.

Knowledgeable about Effort values and know how to train with them.

Knowledgeable about Individual Values and know how to breed for them.

Knowledgeable about movesets and diversity in movesets.

Someone who has participated in a pokemon contest and at least won one master rank.

Someone who has beaten more than one champion.

I maybe leaving some out but IMO this pretty much covers it for me. What is it for you?

He's right, that's what I would describe a true Pokemon Master.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Someone who has defeated their region's strongest trainer and in doing so has become their region's newest strongest trainer.

Someone who has a team of six fully evolved Pokemon, preferably type-diverse.

Someone who might not have a full Pokedex, but has been actively working to fill it.

Someone who's had success in stopping a criminal plot in their respective region.

Someone who's working toward the goal (or has achieved the goal) of raising their team to level 100.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    To me, a Pokemon Master is someone who cares for their Pokemon and knows their potential strengths and weaknesses in battle.

Turn-it

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    Someone who has defeated their region's strongest trainer and in doing so has become their region's newest strongest trainer.

Someone who has a team of six fully evolved Pokemon, preferably type-diverse.

Someone who might not have a full Pokedex, but has been actively working to fill it.

Someone who's had success in stopping a criminal plot in their respective region.

Someone who's working toward the goal (or has achieved the goal) of raising their team to level 100.

criminal plot? I didn't think about that one...not bad.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I don't think all those huge descriptions are really necessary. For me, all it means is that someone can take literally any Pokemon, regardless of base stats, EVs, IVs, nature, etc, and use it to the best of its ability. I don't think that a Pokemon Master can do any more than that and I think having that skill is the definition of being a master trainer. :3

NeoPsychedelia

Admiral of the Pokéfleet
    Years
    Anyone who can beat Whitney's Miltank on their first try without potions or power-ups of any kind.

I'd say anyone who has the patience to catch every Pokémon and evolve them without cutting corners (i.e. catching evolved forms and unnecessary trading).

Turn-it

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    I don't think all those huge descriptions are really necessary. For me, all it means is that someone can take literally any Pokemon, regardless of base stats, EVs, IVs, nature, etc, and use it to the best of its ability. I don't think that a Pokemon Master can do any more than that and I think having that skill is the definition of being a master trainer. :3

touche`! I love this explanation. Kudos because once i read it all I could say was okay! Sounds right to me! lol

大輔

Adventurer
    Years
    A pokemon master is someone who understands why pokemon and humans connect with each other, and thus strengthens the person as a whole. When I thought about Green/Blue Oak you can tell how he wasn't a pokemon master until second gen. for obvious reasons. But you see trainers in the newer generations as champions really show why they are champions (Steven/Cynthia/Alder) etc.

Years
    You know, this question, to me, is more of a question of why, rather than what. To answer what a Pokemon Master is, we would have to ask ourselves why it is they strive to be a "master" of Pokemon. For me, if I were living in the Pokemon Universe, the reason why I'd even attempt to connect with the Pokemon around me would be to better understand where my place would be in all of this, much like I do in my actual existence. I would never be able to answer you what a Pokemon Master is, because there is always more to learn and more to discover, and more strategies to employ in battle.

Evocal

El. Psy. Congroo.
    Years
    For me a true pokemon trainer have a pokemons following a simply rules and points:

He choose the the types of pokemons according the respective weaknesses and benefits of this type.

While he's choosing the types, he has to have in account the cooperation between types.

Then, he choose the pokemons according the types what he chose in the previous point.

He choose the better attacks to this pokemons, even considering the base stats.

When the types, the pokemons and the attacks have been chosen he choose the better nature for the pokemon and obtain the pokemons what he chose.

And obtain the Ev's.

PD. sry for the english

Years
    I just think its someone who defeats the elite four, becomes the champion, and completes his or her pokedex~

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    sooooo

ssssssoooooo i just got o n rofl hahahhaha

hahaha lol, i finished all 5 generations though i played firered on the PC. Nice team and good job

Last edited:

Nomine

サトセレ
    Years
    Here's my theory (and quite a long one, if I do say so myself):

A true Pokémon Master is a trainer that doesn't give up on his Pokémon, no matter what. He/she looks at the strengths and weaknesses of the Pokémon that they already have and expand on them instead of finding only the most powerful ones. A Pokémon Master will become very close to their Pokémon, much like a family. Finally, a Pokémon Master would love their Pokémon with all their heart. Their passion is not for winning every battle. Their passion is to be able to train with their Pokémon and cherish each and every moment they get to spend together.

Back