• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is.. "Fun"?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Now, fun is a subjective term. Even when it comes to playing video games. That being said, how would you describe your best form of 'having fun' when playing video games? In other words... what do you like doing on video games the most?

For example, my version of the best kind of fun I have with video games, is to challenge myself in puzzle, or strategy situations, for example, when I'm playing Fire Emblem games set on a high difficulty. I do like challenging my brain power when to came to that. I also do love playing the most when I'm working with a story-line that blows people out of the water. If I experience a video game that has an unexpected storyline, or plot twist, I'd be more diligent to play and complete it! There are more examples I'd share, but, I'll leave it at that for now.

So, how about you guys? What do you prefer doing the most at video games for your own version of fun?

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    Grinding, strange as that may sound, since most people find that to be the worst part of a game. But I find it extremely satisfying to fully develop my characters and then sit back and watch as they demolish anything and everything that dares oppose them.

After putting in several hundred hours on, say, Disgaea 4, reincarnating characters and storing levels, entering the Item World repeatedly to get optimum weapons and Innocents, maxxing out skills and planning the ideal combination of units, dealing out trillions of damage at the end is immensely satisfying...especially when it's required, as it most definitely is when facing the likes of Pringer X and Baal. Getting there is half the fun, winning is the other half.

Give me a game with powerful optional bosses that will require insane amounts of preparation to overcome and, no matter how repetitive, I will love every second of it.

TY

I love it to make really neat organized bases/villages in RTS games. I can spend days working on a nice looking base before even attacking my enemy (if AI enemy) haha. Sometimes I even play without any enemies just to make a base for no reason :P

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It depends on what games I'm playing. If it's first-person shooter like Call of Duty, then I'd go out of my way to... you know, sort of upset my teammates. Reactions that they give are pretty hilarious. xD;; When I play competitively, I'd try my best to run as much as I can and shoot enemies every time I find one; it gets my heart pumping. If it's a racing game such as Mario Kart, then I'd try to find shortcuts and see if I could get ahead.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Being able to share lols with friends. Like my old days of playing Battlefield 3 with a full squad of friends from my school, we basically locked down the whole map and did crazy stuff along the way. Could barely control myself that day x)

Fun is only fun if you're sharing it with someone imo. There has to be someone to see that pretty smile of yours, right? :P

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • ...This reminded me of the Fun song that Spongebob sings. lol don't judge me. DX

For me, fun is what keeps me from boredom. It doesn't really matter what I am playing. If I get really into a game, I'll play it for hours because it's fun, especially if it's a favorite game. I have fun just feeling as if I'm actually part of the game I'm playing.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Fun is an obligatory Spongebob joke.
    I DON'T CARE
    What is.. "Fun"?

F is for friends who do stuff together
    U is for you and me
    N is for anywhere and anytime at all! Down here at the deep blue sea!

F is for fire that burns down the whole town
    U is for uranium...BOMBS!
    N is for no survivors when you're-

I'm not exactly sure what this thread is asking, anyway.

Nerdy Mojo

No Lifer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    Grinding, strange as that may sound, since most people find that to be the worst part of a game. But I find it extremely satisfying to fully develop my characters and then sit back and watch as they demolish anything and everything that dares oppose them.

After putting in several hundred hours on, say, Disgaea 4, reincarnating characters and storing levels, entering the Item World repeatedly to get optimum weapons and Innocents, maxxing out skills and planning the ideal combination of units, dealing out trillions of damage at the end is immensely satisfying...especially when it's required, as it most definitely is when facing the likes of Pringer X and Baal. Getting there is half the fun, winning is the other half.

Give me a game with powerful optional bosses that will require insane amounts of preparation to overcome and, no matter how repetitive, I will love every second of it.

^THIS

I love grinding in games, along with having a healthy balance between the game being challenging and not being so hard that it's jarring.

Years
  • I love grinding in video games. If I'm about to face a difficult boss, I wonder if my characters are leveled up enough. When that boss is defeated, it's very rewarding. That's where the enjoyment comes in.

Also, I like trying different combinations of characters. "Should I use this character? Maybe I should try two characters together? How about different weapons? Changing their classes?" I like to do this in Fire Emblem Awakening.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I just... play games, I think. I don't really have a mindset about it.
    In those with PvP I like running unusual builds; anything meta is fake and gay.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    For me, I'm having fun in a video game if I'm able to kill stuff, human or otherwise, in the most bloody & murderous fashion that's humanly possible. This is, of course from a general standpoint.

Of course, one might think of me as someone that might be prone to violent outbursts, but it doesn't happen to me much. It actually helps me to keep my cool. Of course, it is possible for this to backfire on me...

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • Often I have fun just messing about and joking around with my friends. Testing the limits of a game and seeing what's possible.

I liked when D3 released and I could beat Diablo in less than an hour on HC using exploits. That was fun

Years
  • Grinding, strange as that may sound, since most people find that to be the worst part of a game. But I find it extremely satisfying to fully develop my characters and then sit back and watch as they demolish anything and everything that dares oppose them.

You're not the only one who massively enjoys grinding :D I'm the same way, mainly because I'd rather not stress myself out and rage quit down the road when an overpowered boss comes along. There's just something about spending hours upon hours levelling the characters that makes it remarkably enjoyable; probably because I like seeing the experience and money amounts go up in the process :3

I love it to make really neat organized bases/villages in RTS games. I can spend days working on a nice looking base before even attacking my enemy (if AI enemy) haha. Sometimes I even play without any enemies just to make a base for no reason :P

Somewhat within the same topic, but I find large metropolitan areas filled with people and buildings within games extremely enjoyable to explore; gives the game a sense of what the human world is like, except virtually. That's why I love open world games with huge expanses that you can traverse and discover new areas, though I've always hated desert areas >>;;

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
  • Well there are those parts in some video games where I find some difficult boss and manage to defeat it. Defeating any boss in LOZ is incredibly special. Then there's Minecarft where I love to explore and build. Building an awesome building gives me a great deal of joy. (as I suck at building....)

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Fun is grinding.
    Fun is struggling.
    Fun is a game that pushes you to the edge of insanity, but then gives you a little leeway without having to switch to another game because you're getting so angrivated that you're about to get out of your chair and bash your control into the tv screen until it's just a pile of glass and plastic.

Back