• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is God?

Years
    You can't read the bible literally. Reading a book deeply rooted in symbolism, metaphor, and parable literally, is going to lead you to very wrong conclusions. And that's why different groups of people, spanning two millennia, coming from different time periods, speaking different languages (or in most instances, the same language) read it and have come to different conclusions about the nature of their collective faith. Symbolic and metaphorical language is subjective by its very nature.

And to so arrogantly assert that your interpretation somehow invalidates all the thousands of others that have come before you, means you need a dose of humility and a reality check.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
    Free will. It's your choice! If I'm not mistaken, Satan created Hell.

You are mistaken. Matthew 25:41.

Honestly, if I were to believe that an almighty being could send me to an eternity of torment for not believing in him, I would at least know the source material.

Also:

Because you're not asking the right people. It's simple: you live in a world with greedy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s. A small number of greedy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s, but greedy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s nonetheless. They exist just as you do. They don't believe in God (in a god, but not God) and they have no concept of morals (or a very low concept). They're corrupt humans. Simple as that. And maybe you should actually start asking God why he does this. But you don't believe in God, so maybe you'll never ask Him.

So I have no morals because I don't believe in God, or any god for that matter? That means I can start raping and pillaging as I please? Right? Because if that's what I'm supposed to be doing I'm really, really behind.

Also, you 'read' the Bible congrats. So have I, multiple times. Thirteen years of Catholic school and a minor in theology can do a person good. For ♥♥♥♥'s sake, I know more about religion than most religious people I know. And I don't believe a word of it.

Last edited:

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
    It seems this thread has been ignorant and impartial towards each side of the argument. That said, I will share my opinion for the discussion's sake. I am a Christian, a Catholic at that. For the reason that culture has begun to cast a cold shoulder to religion, I tend to avoid publicly expressing my faith in the same way I would my political views.

Does religion sound foolish in principle? Absolutely. Can the truth be altered through centuries of translation? It may be so. I have a faith in God because I know that the idea of one has not been completely disproven, even with recent development of counteractive theories.

To an intellect and fool alike, the thought of heaven and an afterlife is intriguing. If there is a heaven beyond this world, I want to believe in it. In theory, there is nothing to lose with a faith in God: if He exists, one will be rewarded in heaven or a similar environment. If not, then I will just accept the fact that no God exists and be at peace with the positive feelings Christianity brought me.

Christianity is deeper than "a man in the sky" and anti-theistic theories are deeper than "scientific discoveries". Both beliefs should be respected and honored in a similar manner. If the world as a whole does not respect one another's conflicting beliefs, then religion has no benefit for man here on Earth, and is only another tool for human segregation.

In addition, pointing out flaws in others' beliefs (example: the Bible's input on homosexuality) has no merit other than to harass others. If Atheists and Christians want to be as "accepting" and "tolerant" as they claim to be, then they must refrain from persecuting eachother and instead learn to understand.

It has been said that politics, religion and gossip should never be discussed between people who are unfamiliar with eachother, and with good reason: almost nothing beneficial results from discussions such as these.

Years
    This is the part of the debate where I come in.

What is the purpose of Hell then? If I'm not mistaken, the whole Hell thing is a punishment for your sins. Or... Satan's just a sadist?

No, I am not misunderstanding. It's all based on beliefs. If I do not believe in God, I have no reason to go to Hell. Same with people who follow other religions. As much as Christians believe in God, Muslims believe in Allah, and so on.

Do animals go to Hell? Why weren't people aware of God before religion was created?

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

The answer to your second question is simply that evidence of God is everywhere yet people choose to ignore it as is stated in this part of the book of Romans.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    Since human beings have little knowledge of what actually constitutes a "soul" that only humans have them is a pretty arrogant claim to make. I would therefore challenge you to demonstrate, without the usage of religious texts (which aren't proof) how human beings have souls and animals do not. Let's not forget that human beings are animals as well. Some people just don't like to be reminded of that.

According to your particular brand of religious belief. However, once again it would be arrogant to say that one way is the only true way to live one's life and find fulfillment, spiritual or otherwise.

There are many different philosophies in life, and many different religions. But despite these differences we would be amazed by the similarities they all share. It's like a multi-forked road branching off from one point and then meeting together again at another. We may each of us start off taking different roads, but in the end, our destination is the same: to live our lives to the fullest; to do what we can to make our lives have meaning.

I never said you can't live a happy life. I'm just saying, during that life you try to fill this void with people, friends, video games, cars, money, etc. I suffer from this too when I lay my eyes off of God. It's the modern form of idol worship.

We are the pinnacle of Gods creation. We were created in His image. We are smarter than all other animals. They were created so we can eat them, study them, enjoy them. But, we were and still are the dominate species. Therefore, animals don't have morals and we do. We have souls and they don't. How is that arrogant.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I never said you can't live a happy life. I'm just saying, during that life you try to fill this void with people, friends, video games, cars, money, etc. I suffer from this too when I lay my eyes off of God. It's the modern form of idol worship.

It is quite a leap to argue that having friends equates to idol worship, and one that makes no rational sense whatsoever. We humans are instinctively social creatures. To that end we seek companionship. The form that companionship takes is entirely up to us as individuals.

We are the pinnacle of Gods creation. We were created in His image. We are smarter than all other animals. They were created so we can eat them, study them, enjoy them. But, we were and still are the dominate species. Therefore, animals don't have morals and we do. We have souls and they don't. How is that arrogant.

Simple, it's an assumption without facts. You lay the claim that animals do not have morals, and yet you cite no evidence to support this claim (although evidence does exist to refute your argument). You also lay the claim that animals lack sufficient intelligence, and yet you cite no evidence to support this claim (although evidence does exist to refute your argument). And then you repeat the claim that animals do not have souls (ignoring the fact that human beings are animals) but fail to provide any proof whatsoever that humans have souls. Again, how do you know only humans have souls (without referring to religious texts)?
    I leave you with this popular fiction quote to accurately describe the level of human intelligence:

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." ~ Kay, Men in Black

Last edited:

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    Just trying to jump in the hot bed here.

Simple, it's an assumption without facts. You lay the claim that animals do not have morals, and yet you cite no evidence to support this claim (although evidence does exist to refute your argument). You also lay the claim that animals lack sufficient intelligence, and yet you cite no evidence to support this claim (although evidence does exist to refute your argument). And then you repeat the claim that animals do not have souls (ignoring the fact that human beings are animals) but fail to provide any proof whatsoever that humans have souls. Again, I ask you to provide evidence to support your claims.

I leave you with this popular fiction quote to accurately describe the level of human intelligence:

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." ~ Kay, Men in Black

Animals don't have morality because they follow pure instinct -- the urge to survive is what their programmed to follow. At least, not morality in the human sense. All social animals have had to modify or restrain their behaviors for group living to be worthwhile, but they do not possess moral behavior. The terms right and wrong are completely foreign to any animal.

As the 17th century philosopher Immanuel Kant once put it:

"So far as animals are concerned we have no direct moral duties; animals are not self-conscious and are there merely as a means to an end. That end is man."

Assuming there is a soul, then the soul would be made during the exact moment the human is born, so the soul is not present when he was still an Austrolopitecus.

Oh, and this is out of topic, but regarding your quote, humans actually accepted the fact that the world was round over 2600 years ago. So by the time Columbus visited the Americas, people were well aware that Earth was not flat.

So my take on this is that God is the void (you see what I did there ;) ) that fills the emptiness of people who believe in him, because he gives them a purpose. I'm not saying atheists and agnostics don't have purpose -- they certainly can find their own purpose and fill the gap himself. But what I am saying is that to believers, God can give light to that void. This light bridges every question of the believer. And this secures people because it gives their lives more meaning than they could ever merit for themselves. :)

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    First of all, the Bible originates from an oral tradition handed down for many generations before being committed to writing, then being translated and re-translated, etc. Which makes it fundamentally different from a work of fiction written by a single author, or even a group of authors; it tells the tale of a people as seen from within their community, whereas a work of fiction springs from the author's personal imagination. And we can see the people in the Bible move from warrior to mythic over the course of the story, in accordance with early humanity's development.

Which allows for several inconsistencies, tales to have been modified over the course of the years, details to have been rewritten a hundred times... which makes it nothing more than a book of tales. Whether they are written by one person or several doesn't change anything (other than explaining the stark contrasts in tone over the pages, from a vengeful god which murders thousands with a flick to a loving one).

This is irrelevant to anything I've presented. My statements are not based on philosophy: they do not start with an assumption and then draw conclusions, but rather start with experiential data; I am starting with observation and drawing conclusions based upon experience and logical inference.

Let's go to the wikipedia article and look at the first line:

Integral theory, a philosophy with origins in the work of Sri Aurobindo and Jean Gebser, and promoted by Ken Wilber,

It's perfectly correct and fine if you want to use the Integral Theory to explain what god is for you, and I didn't really want to go in there because it's a perfectly fine definition. The thing is, the definition in itself is the same as if we started discussing "what are the aliens for you", to talk we must first assume they exist. If you don't, well, that whole talk about defining god is little more than hypothesizing. And since everybody is free to do so, well, I didn't really go there. I just went for the parts where you claimed you can prove god exists.

But yet again, we have a fundamental difference between your argument and mine. The teapot is solely a hypothetical example; people don't actually report seeing or believing in it, either now or at any point in history. Spirit however, is essentially universal to human experience throughout the ages.

People used to believe in magic, in gods creating thunder, because they didn't know how it happened. People believed in gods from the moment they were aware of their own death and afraid of disappearing as a way to find comfort.

Notice how you are moving from "a defined God" to "Spirit", the concept of something magical and intangible that affects the world, which is something much blurrier.

And last, people believe many things. That doesn't mean they are necessarily true, or even real.

As far as I'm aware, the materialistic scientific worldview is currently the only one that has ever denied the existence of a Divine by default. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with this; the rational denial of Spirit has more depth than a mythic affirmation. But we would do well to come to terms with the fact that new and deeper ways of understanding the world have unfolded, and to take note that the Divine is often embraced by those who hold these worldviews.

I would like you to explain which views are those and how they are "deeper". And whether they are anything more than stories, philosphies. My mom is a new-ager who firmly believed "the mind of the universe" was going to change in the Mayan calendar change and become "more open", and I don't really think she has a deeper understanding of the universe despite following a new philosophy.

Also you go back to the argumentum ad populum: the fact that those new ways rely on god-ish beings doesn't mean they are necessarily right.

Oh, and there isn't much of a "scientific worldview", other than the fact that science tries to explain stuff that happens through experiments, evidence and earhtly logic, without relying on "magic" from a being from a higher plane of existence we can't see or touch, or even know whether it exists at all.

Which holds no bearing here, as I have presented evidence, which you have attempted to refute.

I didn't so much try to refute it as point out that you were either using the wrong set of evidence or overreaching and drawing unwarranted conclusions from the experiment you showed.

In addition, if your neighbor has looked out the window and seen that it isn't raining, while you have not gone and looked, what grounds do you have to draw any conclusions, positive or negative, about her assertions?

That is sounds like rain outside? That the weatherman said it would rain? That it rains all the time here, so it's more likely than not that it's raining? That dry weather seems to just be something that people make up to get some relief from all the damp???

What does this mean? I have looked around and never, ever in my life I have seen a god doing magic or miracles about me. I have never seen anybody turning water into wine. I have seen perfectly good explanations for basically any question I have ever had that do not require a magical being intervening. Why shouldn't I assume that there is a very good chance it isn't raining at all?

You must take the injunction to have the experience, after which comes verification or refutation from others who have also taken the injunction. Just like looking into a microscope in order to observe the structure of a plant, just like jogging every day for three months to see if it impacts your health, and just like engaging in regular transpersonal practices to see if you are indeed one with everything.

If this process is not followed, then one can do nothing more than abstractly reason out a conclusion, and point to circumstantial evidence that supports that conclusion, which is philosophy by any other name. If this process is not followed, we are engaging in more of the same metaphysics that you seem to disapprove of!

What does this mean?

Again, I have not presented philosophical or belief-based arguments. The four quadrants of reality (interiors and exteriors of individuals and collectives), as well as the levels of development, are not philosophical assumptions. They are present in your direct and immediate awareness, and you don't even need special tools to verify that.

Well, yes, the four quadrants exist as a way to define god if you start from "god exists". If you don't, they do not define anything. That's a philosophy for me (and for Wikipedia it seems).

I mean, you could modify those areas to define how society works, without the need for a god. It's just a chewed gum somebody stuck on a worldview to take advantage of the fact that we can relate to that to make an argument for god, despite the fact no god is necessary for that worldview.

And as to whether I've misunderstood the study, let me elaborate on how I reached my conclusion. When someone says "I feel fear," and we observe a physiological fight-or-flight response, we accept the fear as valid. When someone says "I feel happy," and we observe dopamine release and a change in demeanor, we accept the happiness as valid.

When someone says "I am speaking to God, and I hear her voice," we can observe activation of the language and concentration centers of the brain. When someone says "I feel one with everything," we can observe hemispheric synchronization, and specific brainwave patterns associated with meditative states. Why then would we conclude anything other than that the experience of God is valid?

the experience of God

the experience

And there you go. That's what I wanted to say. The experience those people are living is real. That's all we can know for sure. Because, you know, there is no need for an actual god to exist for that person to feel "the experience" of god. You only need to make that person believe hard enough so it becomes real for them. It's that simple. The fact that a person who has interiorized the existence of god feels something special when doing an action intimately related to that god they believe in only proves the fact that humans can feel X under Y conditions, not that a God does exist.

I can make a person feel a terrible fear if I manage to convince them that there is a murderer on the room next door. That doesn't make the murderer real, but their feelings are.

As far as I can tell, that conclusion is based on nothing more than an assumption that God does not (or can not, or perhaps should not) exist, and that all interior states are merely inconsequential byproducts of chemical processes. This is scientific materialism at its "finest", and the irony here is that it is this materialistic view that is actually based on metaphysical assumptions.

"Science is necessarily methodologically materialist. Science wishes to describe and explain nature. Diversion into the "supernatural" begins to describe and explain matters that are not natural and obfuscate the natural.
    Methodological materialism is a defining characteristic of science in the same way that "methodological woodism" is a defining characteristic of carpentry. Science seeks to construct natural explanations for natural phenomena in the same way that carpentry seeks to construct objects out of wood. In operating in this manner neither discipline denies the existence of supernatural forces or sheet plastics, their usefulness or validity. The use of either supernatural forces or sheet plastics is simply distinguished as belonging to separate disciplines. "

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Materialism

Last month, the videogame Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney was released in Europe. I won't spoil anything, but one of the most annoying things in the trials is that, since magic exists in the universe where the game plays, Phoenix has a ridiculously tougher time proving anything in court. "That piece of evidence was left in the wrong place, my client clearly couldn't have put it there!". In the real-world games, the prosecutor would say "Oh crap" loudly. In this magical world, though, they'd simply say "well she used magic!", and suddenly your argument isn't worth a penny.

Science is materialistic from the second it doesn't rely on "gods" using magic to explain reality. If we used "magic", in fact, we would be stuck praying to the saints for rain instead of using chemical products to induce it, because we wouldn't be fully sure about whether it does work or is nonsense. After all, it's ridiculously easy to move the goalposts when you are talking about "magic", something we cannot truly comprehend or replicate. Both views are respectable, but you can't expect the side that has decided to stick with nature to accept magic. That would mean turning science into a completely different discipline altogether.

Oh, and all your arguments are based on nothing more than an assumption that God does (or can, or perhaps should) exist. What does it make you think your assumption is more valid? (And I love the subtle ideas you are hinting at with the "should not", as if we "knew" god existed but were trying to actively deny it for who knows what nefarious reasons. Nice one, that).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Animals don't have morality because they follow pure instinct -- the urge to survive is what their programmed to follow.

At least, not morality in the human sense. All social animals have had to modify or restrain their behaviors for group living to be worthwhile, but they do not possess moral behavior. The terms right and wrong are completely foreign to any animal.

I offer this exerpt from an article on Livescience.com:

Moral behavior?

Some research suggests animals have a sense of outrage when social codes are violated. Chimpanzees may punish other chimps for violating certain rules of the social order, said Marc Bekoff, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Colorado, Boulder, and co-author of "Wild Justice: The Moral Lives of Animals" (University Of Chicago Press, 2012).

Male bluebirds that catch their female partners stepping out may beat the female, said Hal Herzog, a psychologist at Western Carolina University who studies how humans think about animals.

And there are many examples of animals demonstrating ostensibly compassionate or empathetic behaviors toward other animals, including humans. In one experiment, hungry rhesus monkeys refused to electrically shock their fellow monkeys, even when it meant getting food for themselves. In another study, a female gorilla named Binti Jua rescued an unconscious 3-year-old (human) boy who had fallen into her enclosure at the Brookline Zoo in Illinois, protecting the child from other gorillas and even calling for human help. And when a car hit and injured a dog on a busy Chilean freeway several years ago, its canine compatriot dodged traffic, risking its life to drag the unconscious dog to safety.

All those examples suggest that animals have some sense of right and wrong, Rowlands said.

"I think what's at the heart of following morality is the emotions," Rowlands said. "Evidence suggests that animals can act on those sorts of emotions."

Source: https://www.livescience.com/24802-animals-have-morals-book.html

The article does go on to mention that there is disagreement in the scientific community as to whether animals do have morals, as illustrated in this exerpt from the same article:

Instinct, not morals?

Not everyone agrees these behaviors equal morality, however.

One of the most obvious examples — the guilty look of a dog that has just eaten a forbidden food — may not be true remorse, but simply the dog responding appropriately to its owner's disappointment, according to a study published in the journal Behavioural Processes in 2009.

And animals don't seem to develop or follow rules that serve no purpose for them or their species, suggesting they don't reason about morality.

The point remains, then, that an argument that claims that animals do not have morals cannot be definitively supported because it is a question that science has yet to answer with any degree of certainty. Philosophical reasoning cannot be used as evidence because it relies mostly on opinion rather than empirical facts gained through careful observation and study.

So my take on this is that God is the void (you see what I did there ;) ) that fills the emptiness of people who believe in him, because he gives them a purpose. I'm not saying atheists and agnostics don't have purpose -- they certainly can find their own purpose and fill the gap himself. But what I am saying is that to believers, God can give light to that void. This light bridges every question of the believer. And this secures people because it gives their lives more meaning than they could ever merit for themselves. :)

But is this supposed void and absence of God in one's life, or rather an instinctual need for a constant familial presence, or a parental figure? People turn to a God because it is a form of security blanket that they can wrap themselves around with for protection. When people do not feel this same level of support from the people in their lives, they will instinctively turn elsewhere, and invariably it will lead some to believe in a supernatural force that they call God. Which is why I described God as an imaginary friend, something people turn to when they are afraid or insecure... or when they want something really good to happen.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Whether or not animals have morals really raises the question of what our morals are - I could easily argue that refusing to shock other monkeys even if it means food for themselves is an example of thinking forward and knowing that the other monkeys will attack them in the future so it wouldn't be worth it now. But then that raises the question of why we refuse to shock someone. Is it because we have morals? Or is it because we know that we'll be punished for it later? Are our morals any more or less informed by instinct and experience than the morals of animals?

Meksal

What do you mean this thing is priceless? *Nom nom
    Years

That seems rather self centered, does it not?

Let me ask you one thing i've never understood. How do you respond to the fact that it has been more or less proven that we evolved from other animals, we did not simply appear.

Alright fine, it hasn't been proven, but it has been proven that we did not simply pop up.

Also, why didn't the bible mention dinosaurs? (Maybe it did very rarely, but not really.) Is it as if they did not exist? Because they did, and if god did not create them, who did? It seems he created the earth, and everything in it, except the prehistoric beasts, as if a whole time period was skipped.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    I offer this exerpt from an article on Livescience.com:

Source: https://www.livescience.com/24802-animals-have-morals-book.html

The article does go on to mention that there is disagreement in the scientific community as to whether animals do have morals, as illustrated in this exerpt from the same article:

The point remains, then, that an argument that claims that animals do not have morals cannot be definitively supported because it is a question that science has yet to answer with any degree of certainty. Philosophical reasoning cannot be used as evidence because it relies mostly on opinion rather than empirical facts gained through careful observation and study.

Yes, I came across this article while doing my research before posting here. I'm very open to the idea that animals have morals, but as of now my position stands. Social order does not equate morality, and neither does instinct or emotion. Saving a 3-year-old child does not necessarily mean the gorilla feels compelled to save the child because it is the right thing to do, but rather, it could also be that saving other babies is an evolutionary trait inherited over time. Refusing to shock fellow monkeys even if it means free food does not mean morality either. There are several factors that could have affected the decision of the monkey. So this does not draw a conclusive evidence for the presence of morality in animals. But again, I'm completely open to change and okay with believing monkeys follow the Ten Commandments. Who knows, maybe animals somehow believe in Bird Jesus.

But is this supposed void and absence of God in one's life, or rather an instinctual need for a constant familial presence, or a parental figure? People turn to a God because it is a form of security blanket that they can wrap themselves around with for protection. When people do not feel this same level of support from the people in their lives, they will instinctively turn elsewhere, and invariably it will lead some to believe in a supernatural force that they call God. Which is why I described God as an imaginary friend, something people turn to when they are afraid or insecure... or when they want something really good to happen.

It can be both, depending on what the believer seeks in God. The imaginary part is up to the individual to decide for himself, but everything else you've written here is objectively true.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Yes, I came across this article while doing my research before posting here. I'm very open to the idea that animals have morals, but as of now my position stands. Social order does not equate morality, and neither does instinct or emotion. Saving a 3-year-old child does not necessarily mean the gorilla feels compelled to save the child because it is the right thing to do, but rather, it could also be that saving other babies is an evolutionary trait inherited over time. Refusing to shock fellow monkeys even if it means free food does not mean morality either. There are several factors that could have affected the decision of the monkey. So this does not draw a conclusive evidence for the presence of morality in animals. But again, I'm completely open to change and okay with believing monkeys follow the Ten Commandments. Who knows, maybe animals somehow believe in Bird Jesus.

My point was, long-winded as it was, that because there isn't scientific consensus regarding animal morality, definitive statements that assert an absence of a moral compass in animals cannot be regarded as true, but rather as one person's opinion. Until there is a definitive answer on this, that's all it will ever be. We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    That seems rather self centered, does it not?

Let me ask you one thing i've never understood. How do you respond to the fact that it has been more or less proven that we evolved from other animals, we did not simply appear.

Alright fine, it hasn't been proven, but it has been proven that we did not simply pop up.

"More or less"? "Not proven"? Well, as far as we go, evolution is the only scientific explanation for the origin of living species that is currently being considered, consistently trumping any other proposed hypothesis for the last two centuries. It's one thing that people do not want to accept science as a principle, another thing is to dismiss all the existing evidence because it isn't enough to convince people who reject science as a principle. But that's another topic.

Last edited:

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    Also, why didn't the bible mention dinosaurs? (Maybe it did very rarely, but not really.) Is it as if they did not exist? Because they did, and if god did not create them, who did? It seems he created the earth, and everything in it, except the prehistoric beasts, as if a whole time period was skipped.

Because the Bible says Earth is only 6000 years old. This shouldn't be a surprise since the Bible also mentions talking snakes and donkeys and gigantic sea monsters. It's kind of farfetched to take the Bible literally, imo.

My point was, long-winded as it was, that because there isn't scientific consensus regarding animal morality, definitive statements that assert an absence of a moral compass in animals cannot be regarded as true, but rather as one person's opinion. Until there is a definitive answer on this, that's all it will ever be. We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.

Ohh. I was speaking mostly from deduction, anyway. We have something to agree on then~!

"More or less"? "Not proven"? Well, as far as we go, evolution is the only scientific explanation for evolution that is currently being considered, consistently trumping any other proposed hypothesis for the last two centuries. It's one thing that people do not want to accept science as a principle, another thing is to dismiss all the existing evidence because it isn't enough to convince people who reject science as a principle. But that's another topic.

To be fair there are some people who don't believe in gravity because "it's just a theory". Someone should try pushing them off a building.

Last edited:

Meksal

What do you mean this thing is priceless? *Nom nom
    Years
    "More or less"? "Not proven"? Well, as far as we go, evolution is the only scientific explanation for the origin of living species that is currently being considered, consistently trumping any other proposed hypothesis for the last two centuries. It's one thing that people do not want to accept science as a principle, another thing is to dismiss all the existing evidence because it isn't enough to convince people who reject science as a principle. But that's another topic.

I didn't want to sound too sure of myself.

Poki

Banned
    Years
    Hell is punishment for our sins. Eternal separation from God. Animals don't go to Hell or Heaven because they don't have souls. Could our cute furry friends be in Heaven, possibly. God is loving; He wouldn't put animals in Hell. People have a void, a pit, if you will. They thirst for something. People fill it with idols, objects, and such. That is how religion was founded. Jesus Christ is the only way to fill the void.
    Then Satan is doing a good job by punishing us for our sins. Also:

1. You said that animals do not go to Heaven, or Hell, due to the lack of souls. But then you say: Could our cute furry friends be in Heaven, possibly.

2. Do all people go to one Heaven/Hell? 'Cause what's Heaven for one person could be Hell for another, if you get what I mean.

This whole Christianity thing has a lot of voids (cwatididthar) itself.

Also, there's a lot of things you could not answer, which proves how your holy book failed to give you any proof.

Have you tried thinking outside The Bible (cwhatididthatalso)?
    This is the part of the debate where I come in.

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

The answer to your second question is simply that evidence of God is everywhere yet people choose to ignore it as is stated in this part of the book of Romans.
    Okay, now answer me without quoting/refering to any God-related books. Both of you.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    So Satan punishes people for not believing in God, doing bad things, and stuff? Wait... Doesn't that make him good?

In Judaism, Satan (actually referred to as HaSatan, or 'the Satan') is actually on God's side. He has no power in and of himself, but is permitted by God to test people, like in the case of Job. According to Jewish belief, a devil who rivals God contradicts the idea of monotheism. Just wanted to throw that in there.

This is what Dinosaurs really are.

Your video is broken :( I followed the link though. I had a good laugh.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    To be fair there are some people who don't believe in gravity because "it's just a theory". Someone should try pushing them off a building.

There are a lot of people who misconstrue what a scientific theory is. They don't realize that a scientific theory is in fact a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method, and repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation. This differs from other types of theories which propose an explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation. It's easy to get the two confused.

And then, of course, there are those folks who refuse to have their eyes opened to new possibilities regardless of the evidence put before them. They choose to remain blind to reality in favour of a strongly held belief or view of the world. No amount of facts will ever convince them.

Back