• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the best pokemon game?

StaticShock

Chaos Current
    Years
    Any specific examples in mind? I'm curious! (preferably the ones more similar to the main series games)

Hard to say. I usually like the ones that aren't similar to the main series games, lol. But if you want recommendations then I suppose :

For ROM hacks - Pokemon Gaia, Pokemon Adventure Red and Pokemon Blazed Glazed for ones with original regions and stories. For purely enhancement hacks, try Pokemon Emerald Genesis (for Emerald), and Drayano's hacks of Pokemon Platinum, HG/SS and B/W and B2/W2.

For fangames - Pokemon Reborn, Insurgence and Empyrean. (keep in mind Reborn and Empyrean are vastly different from the main games)

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    GSC is definitely an all time favorite with XY not far behind it! And honorable mentions to DDPt because those are probably take Pokémon games I clocked the most time into, and SWSH because I have super high hopes for more DLC to make it the perfect Pokémon game...eventually! :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    Gen III ! Honourable mentions for Gen I (for being revolutionary at the time) and V, which I'm really really into right now.

Years
    I'd say ORAS has a pretty great story. I had gen 4 and 5 a LONG time ago and forgot a LOT about them, but I have Omega Ruby digitally and I LOVE it!

This is a lesson: NEVER get rid of Pokemon games or...you'll be missing a LOT if you need nostalgia. Or a refresher on what the games were. *sigh*

G/S is a pretty fun time if you want to overuse Totodile or Cyndaquil and go quick. I have Silver digitally and overused Totodile and evolved it....yeah. Took me exactly 12 hours to get through the Johto side of the story according to the play-through clock. Then again, I used a walk-through online sooooo.....

EDIT: DON'T choose Chikorita if you're going to play G/S. Totodile and Cynaquil are 10x better.

Years
    best spinoffs: pmd: explorers of sky and pokemon stadium 2 and pokemon colosseum

okay so, i think most people would agree that PMD: EoS is a damn good Mystery Dungeon game. there's not much that can be said about it that most people don't really already know. it has the typical PMD tear-eyed story formula, it has shaymin (well that's a win for me, at least), spinda's cafe is pretty cool, it has a wide selection of pokemon to pick and form an exploration team out of, things like that. i think EoS genuinely has a lot of personality and added in just the right touches where it matters.

while there are some... concerns that i have about the game (namely the IQ system, and traveling a dungeon seems awfully slow by today's standards, if PMD: DX is anything to go by), i think it can largely be considered a pretty damn good game back in its day.

pokemon stadium 2 is one i think a lot of people overlook, probably because of the age of the game more than anything else. pokemon stadium 2 was fun for me not even just because of the battles and the crazy rental pokemon movesets, but because of the minigames. minigames was what made stadium 2 shine the most for me. the chansey egg catching, the mr mime reflecting, a bunch of hitmontop trying to knock each other out of the ring through spinning... i really have fond memories of participating in a lot of the minigames and it's a shame that this isn't explored often enough in pokemon gaming.

pokemon colosseum is a classic for me. end of. some people would call it edgy, in which case... i get that's fair given the vibe the protagonist of the game gives off, but it offers a lot more than that. it exposed me a lot to double battles and double battle strategies which was nice. i think the concept of shadow pokemon is cool, even if it can be a pain in the ass to purify them sometimes. the best part of the game, imo, is mt. battle, where you can "upload" a copy of your team from r/s/e (and i think fr/lg?) and basically battle all the way to the 100th trainer. lost count of how much fun i had with this.

best main series game: emerald/platinum

they both had battle frontier. idc if i get grief from the people who are tired of hearing about battle frontier stuff. battling is a lot of why i play pokemon and i enjoy doing it, and battle frontier allows battling in a more unique and creative way. i understand it might not be everyone's tea, but it created one of the best memories in gen 3 and gen 4 for me. the pokemon in both gens are also cool. also shaymin was introduced in gen 4, so there's that.

Back